Quake

bassdevo

Still Fresh
Hi, can anyone help, I have the pak files for quake on my SD card but am still not able to run the game. What am I doing wrong. Also I have a full version of Hexen along with the file for Hexen on the GP2x however, I am not sure what I need to do to run the game. As I am new to the world of GP2X, I think that I need a dummies guide.

Thanks for this I read through the file and did everything it said to do but still could not get the game up and running. I can not find the read file for Hexen.

You have to make sure that the qlaunch.gpe file is pointing to the right folders on your card for Quake to work. I haven't actually tried Hexen yet, but it is probably similar.

You can edit qlaunch.gpe on your PC by opening it in notepad.

If you post what you have actually done and say where you have put each file, someone might be able to help.

Thanks,

I have created a root directory on my SD card, then a file called game then a quake file within that I have place the qlaunch.gpe file, along side the ID1 file which contains the pak0.pak along with the quake.gpe file. Have I done everything right.

bassdevo posted on Dec 18 2005 at 12:22 PM said:
Thanks,

I have created a root directory on my SD card, then a file called game then a quake file within that I have place the qlaunch.gpe file, along side the ID1 file which contains the pak0.pak along with the quake.gpe file. Have I done everything right.

Read the readme,

Quake on root, ID Folder in Quake,

Qlaunch in root.

Last edited by a moderator:
Root just means the drive with no folder.

Not a folder called root

C:\ is the root of the C: drive.

C:\Windows is the folder windows.

Here is how it should be if you keep the qlaunch as it is in the archive:

qlaunch.gpe in the root of your SD card

quake.gpe in 'quake' folder

PAK0.PAK and PAK1.PAK in 'quake\id1' folder.

And once it's up and running press Start for the menu and use the joystick button (press the joystick in) to choose options. :)

thanks for this. I have tried all and game will still not play. I am wondering if the pak file are not good enough. I did not take them direct from the game but downloaded them from a quake site.

You can put 2xquake where you want, you just need to edit qlaunch.gpe

Mine:

mount /mnt/sd -o remount,sync
cd /mnt/sd/Jeux/2xquake/quake/
/mnt/sd/Jeux/2xquake/quake/quake.gpe
mount /mnt/sd -o remount,async
cd /usr/gp2x/
/usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

As you can see my 2xquake is on sd/Jeux/2xquake :)

You can also create another quake launcher to run some quake mod it work !

mount /mnt/sd -o remount,sync
cd /mnt/sd/Jeux/2xquake/quake/
/mnt/sd/Jeux/2xquake/quake/quake.gpe -game raptors
mount /mnt/sd -o remount,async
cd /usr/gp2x/
/usr/gp2x/gp2xmenu

In subfolder raptors i've past raptors mod ;)

A a nice quake :)

MMM... I have tried this and still no game. What is would typing jeux do to the game file. I think I do not have the right pak files.

bassdevo: if you have the shareware version, you need to make a copy of the pak0.pak file and name it pak1.pak. So, there will be two copies of the same file but with different names. It has something to do with both a pak0.pak file and a pak1.pak file required, but just making a dummy pak1.pak doesn't work; it needs to be a valid .pak file.

That trick has been discussed a few times.

Yes I think this is what I am doing, I am making a copy of the Pak file ( by right clicking menue and copy) then pasting the pak file and renaming it Pak 1.

Back