Quake V2?

mrpig posted on Feb 14 2006 at 12:26 AM said:
Regarding frame rates. What do you actually get if you do timedemo demo1 or does it not support that? Timerefresh or whatever it is to do a 360 spin always gives too optimistic figures. Can you lower the texture scalling? If i recall right it was d_mipscale 3 and d_mipmap 12 or something like that. Made it much blockier but was what I used to do when I played in the online quakeworld leagues so you could see easier and back a few years, to ensure 77fps solid which was the maximum allowed without doing dodgy hacks when I had a slow pc
All FPS figures I quote are always done with timedemo demo1 as it gives a nice mixture of small areas, large areas, and water. I never use timerefresh. I've not tried playing with d_mipscale etc on the gp2x, but on the gp32 it hardly made any difference and there are loads of variables that give better improvements.

gdelappa posted on Feb 14 2006 at 03:52 AM said:
I have reinstalled 2xquake 0.1 (from http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,1,0,0,20,855), and it's still crashing when going into the water...any help will be really apprectiated!
I've heard people say that lowering the screen size can help, so try that or wait for the next version (reinstalling the current version isn't going to make the slightest bit of difference).

Last edited by a moderator:
mipmap 3 gave the single biggest improvement on the PC at the expense of far less detail in the textures etc

woogal posted on Feb 14 2006 at 03:52 AM said:
I've heard people say that lowering the screen size can help, so try that or wait for the next version (reinstalling the current version isn't going to make the slightest bit of difference).

Yeah that worked great and you only need to lower it a little. :)

Thanks!

woogal posted on Feb 9 2006 at 09:49 AM said:
DemonStar55 posted on Feb 9 2006 at 12:10 AM said:
Ravnos posted on Feb 8 2006 at 07:02 PM said:
gdelappa posted on Feb 8 2006 at 04:13 PM said:
And what about going into the water? Is it going to be fixed in the next release of Quake for gp2x?
FYI: each time that you jump into the water, quake2x freezes...too bad.
That was supposedly fixed already. It doesn't in my version of Quake.
yeah, fine for me

try updating or seeing if you have the newest version
There's only one version. The water bug doesn't always effect everyone, and yes it will be fixed because it's all part of the same instability problem that I'm working on.
This is all silly hehe. Well i downloaded it and so and played think i had the watwer bug from the binning dont remember but anyway my friend coppied the exact files from my card to his, But on his gp2x the water bugg isn't there lol...
All is very strange hehe.. looking forward for the update woogal keep up the good work.

gdelappa posted on Feb 14 2006 at 04:52 AM said:
I have reinstalled 2xquake 0.1 (from http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,1,0,0,20,855), and it's still crashing when going into the water...any help will be really apprectiated!
Try reducing the screen size in the quake options so that you can see your weapons and ammo across the bottom of the screen. Can't remember how I know this, but it works...

EDIT: A couple of bloody 'teh's

DaveC posted on Feb 14 2006 at 02:33 AM said:
Fiendicus_Prime posted on Feb 8 2006 at 09:05 PM said:
It's not really scalling it's pixel doubling - which doesn't result in distortion, just a blocky image. (there is a difference)

Only it's not pixel doubling, it's pixel one and a halfing.
But it is regular which makes it look much better than an irregular scaling.

No it is irregular scaling. Anything other than 1:1, 2:1, 3:1 etc is irregular. You can't light half a pixel so some are doubled while others are 1:1 causing irregularity.

It doesn't bother me because for one you have the option to go 1:1. As long as you have the option to do 1:1 that is fine as you don't need to scale if you don't want to.

The best solution could be something like 160x240 mode. There will not be any of rescaling artifacts and pixels will not look as blocky because the vertical resolution is intact.

Another good idea could be to render only odd or even lines per frame. It'd be visible at moving but it should boost perfomance significantly.

So 160x240 mode plus interlaced updating of screen and imho the game should run pretty fast. That will no be ideal but it will be better than slow fps.
(game engine could have some intelligence too - only to resorts to such measures when perfomance drop below given threshold)

for my scrapped halflife mod, we used ... uh... mipscale or something like that, where it didnt scale down the textures at all over any distance, looked really nice, but ran about 6 FPS on the GP32. If we could get the GP2X to run like that but at 15+ fps, then we will have our 3d engine of choice, however trust me, modeling is a pain in the ass with quake lol

~Octavious

Octavious posted on Feb 26 2006 at 11:50 PM said:
for my scrapped halflife mod, we used ... uh... mipscale or something like that, where it didnt scale down the textures at all over any distance, looked really nice, but ran

Without the mipmaps cache will get trashed but perfomance drop might not be that visible on a software renderer. Then you will get very sharp image of course but with tons of aliasing but without any filtering it will not be that visible too (as there are tons of aliasing already :) )

Back