Quake/quake2 Speed Configs

woogal

Certified Guru
Website
gp32.sector808.org
Now that an overclocker is available I've just been playing around with Quake and Quake II to see how they perform. Can only get to 250mhz unfortunately, so I've been using the following autoexec.cfg files to get as much speed as possible. To use these, paste each block of variables into a file called autoexec.cfg and put it in the same folder as pak0.pak.

Quake I (the timedemo demo1 line sets Quake to auto run a benchmark on demo1 after starting. Wait for the demo to complete and you'll be shown the average fps. You can also add 'cl_showfps 1' to this to enable the on screen fps display).

cl_bob 0
cl_bobup 0
cl_rollangle 0
cl_rollspeed 0
v_kickpitch 0
v_kickroll 0
v_kicktime 0
r_waterwarp 0
r_drawviewmodel 0
r_maxparticles 0
r_fastsky 1
r_fastturb 1
timedemo demo1

Quake II (found this on the web somewhere. Half these options probably don't even apply to the gp2x version, but I haven't bothered checking which aren't needed. Once again the timedemo lines are for running a benchmark. Comments aren't mine and apply to a Pentium).

set hand "2" //(default=0)makes hand and gun invisible -about 3 FPS loss when changed to 0 or 1-

//The following affect lighting
set cl_particles "0" //(default=1)particles -MEDIUM FPS loss when set to 1-
set gl_dynamic "0" //(default=1)dynamic lighting -LARGE FPS loss when set to 1-
set cl_lights "0" //(default=1)dynamic and flashes -Also LARGE FPS loss when set to 1-
set gl_flashblend "1" //(default=0)enables glow feature -LOW FPS loss when set to 0-
set gl_polyblend "0" //(default=1)enables change of colors when getting Quad, underwater, etc -MEDIUM FPS loss when set to 1-
set vid_gamma ".85"
set intensity "2.75"
set gl_modulate "2.8"

//The following affect blurryness and texture quality
set gl_ext_palettedtexture "1" //(default=0)uses 8 bit textures -MEDIUM FPS loss when set to 1-
set gl_picmip "2" //(default=0)lowers image quality as numbers get bigger -LARGE FPS loss when set to 0-
set gl_playermip "2" //(default=0)uses less memory and in return blurs images -MEDIUM FPS loss when set to 0-
set gl_round_down "1" //(default=0)disables resizing of textures -MEDIUM FPS loss when set to 0-

//The following affect flickering
set gl_ztrick "1" //(default=0)makes objects not flicker WELL WORTH A FEW FPS-MEDIUM FPS loss when set to 0-

//The following affect texture filter
//set gl_texturemode GL_LINEAR_MIPMAP_NEAREST //Enables bilinear filtering -LOW or no change if enabled-

//The following affect internet play
set rate "2500" //(default=25000)Use this line if you have a 28.8 or 33.6 modem
set cl_maxfps "35" //(default=90)Use this line if you have a 28.8 or 33.6 modem
//set rate "5000" //(default=25000)Use this line if you have a 56k or faster connection.
//set cl_maxfps "50" //(default=90)Use this line if you have a 56k or faster connection.

//The following affect sound
set s_loadas8bit "1" //(default=1)loads 8 bit sound -MEDIUM FPS loss when set to 0, More disk swapping if 0-
set cd_nocd "1" //(default=0)doesn't play CD audio -LARGE FPS loss when set to 0-
set gl_skymip "3" //(default=0)makes the sky blurry -MEDIUM FPS loss when set to 0-
set s_khz "11" //(default=11)changes sampling rate for sound -MEDIUM FPS loss when set to 22-
set cl_footsteps "0" //(default=1)hear your own footsteps -LOW FPS loss when set to 1, Gets annoying though-

//The following affect particle sizes
set gl_ext_pointparameters "1" //sets particle attributes
set gl_particle_size "40" //sets particle attributes
set gl_particle_min_size "2" //sets minimum particle size
set gl_particle_max_size "40" //sets maximum particle size
set gl_particle_att_a "0.01" //sets particle attributes
set gl_particle_att_b "0.0" //sets particle attributes
set gl_particle_att_c "0.01" //sets particle attributes

timedemo 1
map demo1

With those .cfgs at 250mhz I can get 14.9fps on Quake I and 7.8fps on Quake II. Quake II seems like it might be a bit playable at that speed, but it's hard to tell because my case is missing two screws and so some directions don't work too well at the moment.

I take it that the Quake port is in early beta? I mean, at 250mhz, you should be getting much more than 15fps... I can play quake at way better rates than that on my Pentium 133mhz laptop... And unless I am misinformed, ARM is a more powerful architecture than X86.

Anhaedra posted on Dec 14 2005 at 09:45 PM said:
And unless I am misinformed, ARM is a more powerful architecture than X86.

You are misinformed. The ARM was designed for power efficency for embedded devices, and does not feature nice stuff like hardware FPU (I think). The X86 can suck down as many watts as it wants, as it is plugged into an outlet, and can do much more per MHz then an ARM could dream of.

However, if you add in a LEG (logarithmic equasion generator) co-processor, it becomes much more powerful. Ok, I made that last part up, but I am pretty sure that ARMs are worse then X86s, if you are comparing MHz. :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Who cares? If you can play it that way, play it.

I could until my unit bricked.

I got through the first two episodes.

Anhaedra posted on Dec 15 2005 at 05:45 AM said:
I take it that the Quake port is in early beta? I mean, at 250mhz, you should be getting much more than 15fps... I can play quake at way better rates than that on my Pentium 133mhz laptop... And unless I am misinformed, ARM is a more powerful architecture than X86.
Quake was designed for Pentium processors which included a FPU (floating point unit) unlike the 486s, and so it made extensive use of floating point math. Older games like doom and duke were designed for 486s and so used fixed point math (which is why they can be full speed on the gp2x). Floating point allows for more accuracy, but it's much more complicated for a processor to handle which is why it works best on dedicated hardware (the FPU). On a system without an FPU (like ARM) the math has to be handled in software which is why it is much slower. In fact before gcc 3.4 the floating point support was much slower, and Quake would probably only run at maybe 5 fps at 250mhz. And ARM works differently to x86, so it's impossible to compare the two directly and say one is more powerful than the other - they are both good, but in different ways.

It's a bit offtopic but I'm curious.

Is it factible to code a 3D engine using fixed point? Or would it look too ugly?

Leshrac posted on Dec 15 2005 at 07:28 PM said:
It's a bit offtopic but I'm curious.

Is it factible to code a 3D engine using fixed point? Or would it look too ugly?
Most (all?) 3D engines before Quake used fixed point (doom, duke3d, hexen etc) and I don't find them ugly (but if you prefer all this Halo crap then you won't like the look of them I suppose). One of the best looking fixed point engines I know of is Yeti3d ( http://www.storm-studios.net/onethirty8/Yetistuff.html for windows/mac/dreamcast binaries, or http://operondepot.blogspot.com/2005/11/gp...engine-sdl.html for synkro's gp2x port), which looks and plays fantastic, especially on a small screen.

Back