Mod Problems On 2xquake, Mods Don't Work 100%

HydraLancer

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Hello all,

I am currently trying my shot at being a developer for the GP2x in my own way and am currently working on a large scale TC for quake that I was hoping to port to the GP2X, and wanted to contact anyone regarding an issue that I have encountered while developing for the Gp2x version of Quake 1. Although I am new to the gp2x scene, I am quite knowledgeable in Quake, and I apologize if I may say things that anyone either doesn’t understand or that seem pretty obvious considering I don’t know everyone’s level of expertise with the actual game.

As for the issue, it would seem that whenever you are loading a mod (and I have tried several different ones) it would seem that the changed code in these mods in the progs.dat, file (which is normally found within the pak file of pak0.pak) is being overwritten by the progs.dat of the original game every time you ether die in the game or change a map. So for example if I were to load a mod that uses a grappling hook instead of the axe, I would first make the gpe file as explained and it would load the map as normal and perfectly, when I’m in the game the mod is working perfectly with my new hook, but when I either die, clear the level, or start a new game, all of the sudden I have the axe again and the normal code is being used instead of the new code from the progs.dat file in the mod’s folder. This seems to only be an issue with the progs.dat file somewhere in the code I assume because if I load a mod with new fancy GUI graphics and sounds they still work even when I die in the game, but the programming changes revert back to normal. I have tried all of these mods on my pc and all seem to work fine so it doesn’t seem to be an issue with the actual code in the progs.dat.

I understand this may seem a bit complicated but If anyone knows what could possibly be the issue I would greatly appreciate it. This situation can be particularly bad for anyone who is trying to make there own 3d game with quake so I thought I would address it, hopefully someone figure out.

Thank you

bmilleker posted on Dec 11 2005 at 02:38 PM said:
This doesn't give any sort of answer to your questions, but what do u mean by "large scale TC"?

TC = Total Conversion

So I'm guessing he's thinking about changing just about everything in Quake 1: music, textures, sounds, etc... in the hopes of making a game that is larger than Quake 1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yea I would be building within the confines of the hardware's specs so I could only go extravagant, but I do plan to change everything as cutting edge as possible art design wise to compensate for the hardware limitations, although Quake running at 280 mhz runs very nice if anyone has tried the CPU Clock Changer utility. ;)

I just came on here to reply to the pm you sent me the other day, but I might as well reply here now :).

There is a bigger concern with Quake at the moment and that is the 'won't run with just pak0.pak' problem. Until that is solved I'm not even considering anything to do with mods, but luckly for you I think the two problems might be related. The pak0.pak problem is to do with a file not being found, even though it's there and it gets checked, which suggests that the memory is being corrupted and causing the failed check. And the link between the two problems is that the 'missing' file is progs.dat. I would guess that your new progs.dat is being loaded at the start, then later on the memory corrupts and it fails to find it and falls back to the original. Hopefully, once I fix the main problem your mod will start working as normal. If it still doesn't work I'll look into the problem further, but I usually find that fixing one small things solves a whole load of issues at once :).

Thanks a lot woogal I really appreciate you researching the problem, :) I'll go ahead and wait it out. like I said in the PM its not too big a deal since I’ll have to do the graphics for a while, If you would like you can send me an e-mail when you’ve solved the problem or start a thread and I would really appreciate it.

Thanks again!

Back