Quake 3 Port?

bustaballs

The Pandora should easily be capable of handling a direct port of Quake 3. I hope this is something that's worked on immediately after release.

do it.
now.

seriously, there is probably some work you can do already, like converting it to SDL and OpenGL ES :D
making it to use WIFI for multiplayer could also require some work, so you better start now!

they also ported it on iPod Touch quite quickly (some hours i think?), so porting on p&|a should be quick too ^^
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/52144 for the full article.

Quake3 already runs on the Omap2 chipset @ 640*480 so it will not even tax the Omap3 :) I wonder what we can find which will?

craigix said:
Quake3 already runs on the Omap2 chipset @ 640*480 so it will not even tax the Omap3 :) I wonder what we can find which will?
Heh... I suspect I could find a few things that might, given a dev unit... No, I am not begging for one of the first special batch (though that WOULD be nice... ;)) but I am going to be jockeying for one of the follow-on dev units when they go on sale. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
Great now all the N64 emu and Halo people are going to flock to this thread. :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Run any MS product im sure that will "tax" the hardware.

http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/ that engine looks interesting and has a very open zlib license

they mention already supporting portals and some other intresting features .... increased speed due to not culling (might not be practically on pandora hardware)

I think it might be capable of pushing pandora pretty far

Edit: looks like they are already porting it X.x

I'd vote for Nexuiz myself if the Pandora could handle it? It only uses a modified Quake 1 engine but it still needs a decent 3D card to run with all the effects full on.
The game play might be a little too fast for a handheld too?

If your wanting another, I've heared great things about Urban Terror. Uses the Quake 3 engine and the game plays not as fast, so it would probably play better. It also doesn't need Quake 3 to be installed anymore either :)

EDIT: Soz. Thought they had open sourced UrbanTerror but they didn't. Nevermind :(

To be honest most games with released source should run more or less on Pandora and Q3 as I understand it is planed to be ported to match the release to show of just some of what Pandora can do (just hearsay).

if you look at the specs almost any good game with slimmed graphics, optimizations etc would run (ok maybe not the latest generation, but you get the idea), the problem is getting the source code, some old games and free games you might be able to beg for the source code if you can show that you can convert it and will sign NDAs etc.

The main hassle will probably be really pushing Pandoras limits unless you create something new and native that really uses a lot of shaders and so on, considering that the screen is 800x480 and you can adapt graphics for that as well as details to match the size of the screen and so on you got ample amount of both memory and cpu/gpu power for stunning games, just look at games running on the PSP and think "My Pandora eats that for breakfast and is still hungry".

EDIT:
Come to think about it, a real challenge then Doom 3, there you got some to do since Doom 3 req. is higher so optimization and real slimming would be needed

Holokauston said:
EDIT:
Come to think about it, a real challenge then Doom 3, there you got some to do since Doom 3 req. is higher so optimization and real slimming would be needed
Is porting Doom 3 even feasible, with all the dynamic shadows and whatnot?

Edit: And I don't think the source is available yet...

Dutch_Cap said:
Holokauston said:
EDIT:

Heres some info: http://www.doom3portal.com/info/systemreq.php

No source for the doom 3 engine: http://www.idsoftware.com/business/idtech4/
Unless some one has 250k laying around somewhere...

Even if we had the source looks like memory would become and issue. We only have 128 mb for the system and video combined. Even then the processing requirement might be a problem.

Tripmonkey_uk said:
EDIT: Soz. Thought they had open sourced UrbanTerror but they didn't. Nevermind :(
Heh... They're using an engine that IS open source. The game itself is scripting that sits on top of the actual engine. So, technically, UrbanTerror could sit on a Pandora- any glitches can be probably resolved by the dev team for that mod when the time comes. Ditto for World of Padman.

Pickle said:
Dutch_Cap said:
Holokauston said:
EDIT:

Heres some info: http://www.doom3portal.com/info/systemreq.php

No source for the doom 3 engine: http://www.idsoftware.com/business/idtech4/
Unless some one has 250k laying around somewhere...

Even if we had the source looks like memory would become and issue. We only have 128 mb for the system and video combined. Even then the processing requirement might be a problem.

As I said a challenge ;)

The SDK was released over a year ago and according to Carmacks statement 2006 the source should be release in a not to distant future (he said 1-2years back then) and he has renewed the statement about releasing it but didn't give a date.

"Id Tech 4 will also be open source. At the QuakeCon 2007, Carmack said to LinuxGames: "I mean I won't commit to a date, but the Doom 3 stuff will be open source.""
-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_D._Carmack#Free_software

yes you will have to really slim down doom 3 and most likely remove a few eye candy effects but it would really push the limits of Pandora :)

EDIT:
The price is just for non-GPL releases the Q3 engine still costs $10000 if you use it in a non-GPL product.

Svartalf said:
Tripmonkey_uk said:
Heh... They're using an engine that IS open source. The game itself is scripting that sits on top of the actual engine. So, technically, UrbanTerror could sit on a Pandora- any glitches can be probably resolved by the dev team for that mod when the time comes. Ditto for World of Padman.

Good point Svartalf. I think they would jump at the chance of having it ported to a handheld device. World of Padman would be perfect for it too :D

Tremulous might be another interesting game to port over, but I'm not too sure about the system requirements? From what I can remember they are less than what nexuiz needs though.

Tripmonkey_uk said:
Good point Svartalf. I think they would jump at the chance of having it ported to a handheld device. World of Padman would be perfect for it too :D
That was my take. It'd be a blast if you're next to a Hotspot and could wipe a few smug looks off of a few people's faces- not to mention I would like to be able to not have to lug my laptop with me just so I can play a few games... ;)

Tremulous might be another interesting game to port over, but I'm not too sure about the system requirements? From what I can remember they are less than what nexuiz needs though.

Stated minimums place it in the original Quake I/II performance space solidly- I suspect that it'll play on Pandora once we get down to the nitty-gritty of meshing in the renderer to ES 2.0.

Tripmonkey_uk said:
I wouldn't mind so much, but this device will have better 3D capabilities than my laptop :lol:
Heh... I won't get into what the current laptop's capable of and what I'd like to justify the expense for as my next one... >;-) :D

Jonttu said:
Assuming wine can be run, is it possible to run Halo Custom Edition? Halo Requirements

I'm sorry, I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not.

If you're seriously asking, the answer is no. WINE stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator. It's called that because it doesn't actually emulate PC hardware - all it does is add a windows compatability layer. WINE still requires that your system processor be some sort of x86.

The best windows environment you can expect on Pandora would be windows 3.11 running at 386 speeds under DOSBox.

The Quake3 engine's game(server backend, "game"), client game(client backend, "cgame") and UI elements("ui") are compiled into a byte-code with the file extension "qvm". The "qvm" is the "Quake Virtual Machine." These qvm files can be run by the executable under any environment the executable can, so all you have to do is port the renderer/executable stuff, and the other 3/4ths of the game will be already done for you, provided you didn't mess up the implementation of these files. Oh, and you'll need to port q3asm to the omap3 in order to compile qvms on the Pandora, but only if you did development on the Pandora itself.

The Quake3 engine can also use these qvm files as compiled libraries(.so/.dll files) for speed, but nowadays the tradeoff of portability for speed is not as useful(the speed isn't noticable anymore).

Back