Release Qemu for Pandora (for rebirth competition)

yep, win 95 cd were not bootable, but I think I remember the win98 being bootable to dos...

Now that the competition date has passed, does anyone know when QEMU will be made available for everyone?

Dying to try this out for myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really looking forward to trying this, many thanks to the QEMU team for all your hard work.

My main use for it will be to try and get a few old games running. Nothing too taxing, things like sim city 2000, that would work fine on DOSbox but slow to a crawl after a while.

Is there any general advice on what OS I should be using?

For instance, is running Win95 preferable to running Win98 in terms of performance. From dark and distant memory, if a PC would run Win95 it would run Win98 just fine. Or should I just stick to Dos and relive the joys of editing config.sys (shudder).

For instance, is running Win95 preferable to running Win98 in terms of performance. From dark and distant memory, if a PC would run Win95 it would run Win98 just fine. Or should I just stick to Dos and relive the joys of editing config.sys (shudder).

Windows 98 there is a slight performance hit, Windows 95 would be fine on a faster 386 processor where it was almost unusable with Windows 98.

Hey, I have a request: can this include FreeDOS in some form by default?

There is an image of freedos available. It is not dosbox, so having dos as default is no good idea, I think.

Edit:

All premade images are now linked on the Wikipage, too for better access.

Thanks mcobit, great work

Plea for help though - I am trying to get fallout 1 to work (if possible). I am struggling to get the cd-rom to work (I have a fallout iso file) and selected this file on the cdrom iso box on qemu, but it doesnt seem to be recognised

I have read the wiki page and assume this part would help me

"

• Windows cannot find the mounted CD Image??

Solution=Install a MS-Dos CD-Rom Treiber in your Image and let it load before Windows starting."

but don't really know what that means

Any help appreciated

Thanks

CJ

PS- in msdos I found you can get a colon ":" by pressing (and holding) shift and fn and the comma button (left shoulder button+fn+,)

I have an issue with Settlers 2 Gold Edition.

It is listed as being playable.

I used the provided "Empty DRDOS image"

It runs fine, but the mouse will not keep in sync with the stylus.

I can't seem to create a new hard drive image with the image tools provided.. It makes the file, but it's only about 100k even though I specified a much larger amount. It claims it generates it, but the operation seems way too quick... Am I missing something?

Using hotfix 7 beta 1..

Unfortunately I'm having the same problem as DrCJ. I installed Windows 95 C (The CD-ROM Version) and used a Boot Disk to install it. Win95 starts up fine, but when I go to "My Computer" the CD Drive does not appear. This happens on both my Win7 PC and on the Pandora. I'm lead to believe there's a missing driver, but I can't figure out which one, or how to inject it once I do have it. The Wiki says "MS-Dos CD-Rom Treiber" is needed, but I can't find anything called that in a google search. Can you help us out?

EDIT: Actually Trashy, I had the same thing happen to me. I think the file stores it's max file size, but only actually takes up the space of what is in it. For example, my Windows95 file started as about 100k, but now that I've installed Windows 95 to it, it uses 122 MB. But if I go to the virtual machine, it reports it's got about 5 GB total disk space, just like I asked.

Could you tell us which graphic drivers you used in windows95? I found some on the net but they don't seem to be that compatible and glitchy. Without drivers I can't get more than 16 colors. Also is there any known scenario in which the bochs graphics adapter is to be preferred over the cirrus card?

Edit: Furthermore, what did you do to get the touchscreen usable in win95? It works but it's not correctly calibrated and nothing. I use a resolution of 640x480.

Edit: Found the information on this page usefull:

http://gunkies.org/wiki/Installing_Windows_95_on_Qemu

At least the univbe-driver for windows should be added to the pandorawiki site too.

Solution=Install a MS-Dos CD-Rom Treiber in your Image and let it load before Windows starting."

but don't really know what that means
Unfortunately I'm having the same problem as DrCJ. I installed Windows 95 C (The CD-ROM Version) and used a Boot Disk to install it. Win95 starts up fine, but when I go to "My Computer" the CD Drive does not appear. This happens on both my Win7 PC and on the Pandora. I'm lead to believe there's a missing driver, but I can't figure out which one, or how to inject it once I do have it. The Wiki says "MS-Dos CD-Rom Treiber" is needed, but I can't find anything called that in a google search. Can you help us out?

You can try the following solution (CD-ROM support section) : http://pandorawiki.org/Qemu_for_Pandora#Tipps.2C_Tricks_.26_Hints

I have an issue with Settlers 2 Gold Edition.

It is listed as being playable.

It runs fine, but the mouse will not keep in sync with the stylus.
Playable with the nubs, afaik there is currently no solution for the touchscreen offset

I can't seem to create a new hard drive image with the image tools provided.. It makes the file, but it's only about 100k even though I specified a much larger amount. It claims it generates it, but the operation seems way too quick... Am I missing something?

Using hotfix 7 beta 1..
Image file size is dynamic -> normal behaviour

Edit: Furthermore, what did you do to get the touchscreen usable in win95? It works but it's not correctly calibrated and nothing. I use a resolution of 640x480.
afaik, touchscreen is only usable with win98 -> pandoras touchscreen is supported via an emulated usb tablet, i think there is no support for it in Win95

Yes, touchscreen doesn't work for dos and win95 atm. As said by Thatgui, win98 can use the touchscreen with the -usb -usb-tablet option.

You can use an external mouse though :)

For the cdromdriver have a look at mscdex, it is the driver you need. This needs an entry in the config.sys and autoexec.bat. You will need the cdromdriver file first. That is something like oakcdrom.sys or just cdrom.sys.

See here:

http://www.techadvice.com/tech/m/mscdex.htm

I don't have a windows 95 or 98 disk I can install.

As read in previous posts Win 98 might be a little faster.

Which Win 98 is better on Pandora: Win 98 or Win 98 SE?

Win98 is SLOWER than win95. The SE version seems to be a bit slower than the first edition.

Back