Release Qemu for Pandora (for rebirth competition)

And this ram idea is very good, hope that can speed things up a bit.

Yeah, I mentioned it somewhere on here before, but me and a friend once spent an entire weekend ripping win98 got windows it down to 7mb and still able to run SOME games. That was extreme, and frankly ridiculous, but if 98 could be ripped into a tiny install it might be the way forward for x86 gaming. I think getting it down to 64mb is very achievable while supporting most software. In fact, if a ramdisk was made that was 96mb, and the OS was 64mb you could enable 32mb virtual memory - windows often needs it (even a small amount) for compatability. 32mb for running 98 is easily enough for most things.

There is a tool somewhere for making a 95 ram OS, I'll see if I can dig it out as it would be the "easy" way to make such a project reality.

(As a small side note, though not really relevant, I setup a "Micro Windows XP" that loads from SD into a 1gb partition of RAM on my netbook (it has 2gb). I sometimes use it on the train, shutting off the HDD and running from RAM, playing video's from SD saves battery).

Great stuff, TitanUranus! Please keep us updated, I didn't even know something like this is possible at all. I did a lot of basic optimization on my Win98 install when I was still running it, but it was just noob stuff anybody with internet could do really.

(At least it was stable though ... for Win98 I mean :p )

Regarding Half Life: I was able to run it on a 380XD thinkpad with 233MHz (maybe 266) and 96 MB ram. This was at a low (20?) Frame Rate at an impossibly tiny resolution (must have been QVGA or smaller!) so I doubt it will run well on the Pandora. If you want to try I recommend finding an earlier version rathar than a later as the performance can go down with later versions.

Regarding Dune 2000: Someone please try it out! I would really enjoy playing it!

Regarding Half Life: I was able to run it on a 380XD thinkpad with 233MHz (maybe 266) and 96 MB ram. This was at a low (20?) Frame Rate at an impossibly tiny resolution (must have been QVGA or smaller!) so I doubt it will run well on the Pandora. If you want to try I recommend finding an earlier version rathar than a later as the performance can go down with later versions.

Regarding Dune 2000: Someone please try it out! I would really enjoy playing it!

I had a friend that got Half-life working on a high 486 ( AMD 486DX4-100mhz), he had a motherboard that just happen to have a PCI slot, kind of rare for a 486.. ended up throwing my voodoo 1 card into that sucker and sure enough it was fairly playable.

Don't know if this has been addressed anywhere in the 14 pages of this thread, but have you tried compiling Qemu with user-mode emulation for running x86 linux applications "directly"?

Don't know if this has been addressed anywhere in the 14 pages of this thread, but have you tried compiling Qemu with user-mode emulation for running x86 linux applications "directly"?
mcobit has said that there's currently some upstream issue that breaks user-mode emulation on ARM. Which is too bad, because Wine.

mcobit has said that there's currently some upstream issue that breaks user-mode emulation on ARM. Which is too bad, because Wine.

I think it worked with 0.9, and there was a video of some guy playing around with it on the n900, but he had a hard time getting more complex things than notepad running.

ok i will test it and will write the results here ^_^

Edit:the Keyboard is not working,game starts fine but i cannot enter a Name.

In Freedos/MSDOS and on Quemu on my PC too. :blink:
Just use a real OS like MS-DOS 6.22 :p

It works for me (after i finally solved the problem with the incomplete installation - just delete the "u8shapes.cmp" in the "static" subdirectory), but it is running a little choppy - as it is action oriented maybe too choppy to really play it. It also tends to crash now and then.

The good news is: I finally solved my keyboard problem - its so obvious...just use the italien layout :wacko:

How the fullscreen works ? Can you "minimize" a game in progress to return to the desktop ?

For example, in the game Wasteland you have to refer to and external TXT file to read descriptions of rooms and situations, is it possible to go from the game to the text editor without closing the game first ?

Yes, thats possible. You just put it to windowed mode and start your texteditor. :)

Mr_burns.jpg

EXCELLENT !!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back