Q About The Gp's Version Of Nethack

gamefan999

I can't seem to get any protection from writing Elbereth, even when engraving into the stone floor. Was it removed from the GP's verson?

gamefan999 posted on Aug 15 2006 at 10:14 AM said:
I can't seem to get any protection from writing Elbereth, even when engraving into the stone floor. Was it removed from the GP's verson?
Possibly I didn't enable that option, or possibly when I added the Engrave command I did something bad. I'll look into it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dzz posted on Aug 15 2006 at 12:30 PM said:
gamefan999 posted on Aug 15 2006 at 10:14 AM said:
Possibly I didn't enable that option, or possibly when I added the Engrave command I did something bad. I'll look into it.
Thank you! :D

While you're looking throught the code, could you also check whether it is possible to dig a hole under where you're standing? I haven't been able to use a pick or wand of digging to dig a hole directly under myself (to fall through to the next level intentionally). I have read about it extensively in the FAQ's and have seen a NPC do it, so I know it's possible, but I can't do it myself with the most obvious command of "dig where? /select self tile"

gamefan999 posted on Aug 16 2006 at 07:42 AM said:
While you're looking throught the code, could you also check whether it is possible to dig a hole under where you're standing? I haven't been able to use a pick or wand of digging to dig a hole directly under myself (to fall through to the next level intentionally). I have read about it extensively in the FAQ's and have seen a NPC do it, so I know it's possible, but I can't do it myself with the most obvious command of "dig where? /select self tile"
Sure, I will look into that too. The 0.7 version will be designed to fix gameplay issues like this as they come in, so thanks for the reports! I don't have any particular date in mind for it though, probably not for another month.

Another quirk - there is supposed to be teleport-control between levels for characters that have the teleport-control attribute and try to teleport when confused (way obscure stuff, I know!). This control option is not offered in this port. I know you have used the vol +/- button to control amounts when dropping multiple items, for ex. I would think this level control would utilize such a control, maybe? Also, is it possible to drop a portion of gold, not just all or none? Again, I thought the +/- button would be used for this, but I don't see it as being enabled. Thanks again for your work. Am I the only one playing Nethack on the GP?!?!

gamefan999 posted on Aug 17 2006 at 10:34 PM said:
Another quirk - there is supposed to be teleport-control between levels for characters that have the teleport-control attribute and try to teleport when confused (way obscure stuff, I know!). This control option is not offered in this port. I know you have used the vol +/- button to control amounts when dropping multiple items, for ex. I would think this level control would utilize such a control, maybe? Also, is it possible to drop a portion of gold, not just all or none? Again, I thought the +/- button would be used for this, but I don't see it as being enabled. Thanks again for your work. Am I the only one playing Nethack on the GP?!?!

I am playing it as well. I've noticed a couple of bugs as well: One time I was "being magically transported" on the floor after I got the quest for looking for the magic transporter, and when it was activated in a traplike fashion, the game froze and my game was corrupted....

Another thing I have noticed is when you try to enhance a skill that you can't yet or is impossible, you get that you trained in schimitar, yet nothing happened (this is with a wizard BTW).

I've also noticed some inventory freeze bugs, I made an example save of one that is very buggy, I can send it if you like...

gamefan999 posted on Aug 17 2006 at 08:34 PM said:
Another quirk - there is supposed to be teleport-control between levels for characters that have the teleport-control attribute and try to teleport when confused (way obscure stuff, I know!). This control option is not offered in this port.
Thanks, I'll add it to my list of things to look into. I've never even heard of such a thing :)
Also, is it possible to drop a portion of gold, not just all or none? Again, I thought the +/- button would be used for this, but I don't see it as being enabled.
I looked into this when I was working on getting gold added. I wasn't able to find any way in the normal Nethack distribution for PCs to drop partial quantities of gold either.

Shikaku posted on Aug 17 2006 at 08:39 PM said:
I am playing it as well. I've noticed a couple of bugs as well: One time I was "being magically transported" on the floor after I got the quest for looking for the magic transporter, and when it was activated in a traplike fashion, the game froze and my game was corrupted....
I'm looking into completely rewriting the game save stuff which should fix problems like that; it's kind of a big job though.
Another thing I have noticed is when you try to enhance a skill that you can't yet or is impossible, you get that you trained in schimitar, yet nothing happened (this is with a wizard BTW).
When you say nothing happened, what should have happened?
I've also noticed some inventory freeze bugs, I made an example save of one that is very buggy, I can send it if you like...
Thanks. That could be very helpful. If you don't mind, please send the save to dzz@gp2xgamer.com

Back