Pyramon - product idea for ED? Small HDMI monitor

All way too big and not portable enough for me. I might be able to make a little more space, but it would still need to be somewhat durable (which is why the one I linked with the foldable stand that covers the screen still wins).

If I could get them close to the same price point, the PyraMon or Pyra terminal would still be my personal preference, although he's showed me that it might ultimately be cheaper not to reuse most of the Pyra (thus having almost a complete set of spare parts).

@Grench, we gotta find a better name for the terminal version than your first attempt. I will think about it while I drink and watch Stargate shows. I think it should be called the Homer.

@Grench, we gotta find a better name for the terminal version than your first attempt. I will think about it while I drink and watch Stargate shows. I think it should be called the Homer.

Agreed. First idea name for a project is just a placeholder.
Monitor + controller = Monicon? !Moneycon.. skip
Keyboard + video = KeyVid?
...?
[doublepost=1515733803,1515733668][/doublepost]

All too big to fit in a pocket.

Pyra is microHDMI, right? I'm assuming that the miniHDMI talk is Pi related. For the Pi, use this and a normal hdmi cable?
Yes, I was talking about RaspPiZero

I have used two short mini-HDMI (HDMI-D) to standard HDMI where one has a plug and the other one a socket.
Believe it or not, I tried that, and I'm pretty sure that it worked, so I took them on holiday with me... and boom, couldn't get it to work ever again. So I'm half convinced I never got it to work... though it could be that I had a dodgy cable or two... who knows now, I haven't tried since

I made a small 10inch-Display for my cubie-truck and for future-use with the pyra.
The display is a 1280x800 10''-Display (with driver-board, 5V-driven) from aliexpress:

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/10-1...river-Control-Board-2AV-HDMI/32629112437.html

The case is made of aluminium and painted blue.

20160702_110020.jpg 20160605_172135.jpg 20160620_190949.jpg 20160620_191047.jpg

What about a build your own laptop/salvage a thinkpad chassi model pyra?
I keep thinking about giving my T60p a modern interior with more beef - if it wasn't so difficult to get the connections all wired up and getting some cooling to fit, not to mention I'd be without a proper Laptop if something goes wrong... Well, at least the schematics got leaked, trying to use the docking connector would be a nightmare without some documentation.

But I still have that old T43, it only has a low res screen and a much smaller case, but it's probably a good candidate for some low power ARM experiments... that would definitely redefine the meaning of Frankenpad.

I keep thinking about giving my T60p a modern interior with more beef - if it wasn't so difficult to get the connections all wired up and getting some cooling to fit, not to mention I'd be without a proper Laptop if something goes wrong... Well, at least the schematics got leaked, trying to use the docking connector would be a nightmare without some documentation.

But I still have that old T43, it only has a low res screen and a much smaller case, but it's probably a good candidate for some low power ARM experiments... that would definitely redefine the meaning of Frankenpad.

https://www.51nb.com/benzhanshiye/2017-06-08/83668.html
Intel Core i5-5200U, Core i5-7300HQ/i7-7700HQ or i7-7820HQ for your thinkpad

Fat chance, my game collection is mostly running on Linux.

I bought that thing for its beefy workstation GPU for a reason back then.

I have a T61p, so I understand your opinion of discrete graphics.

I wonder how the discrete graphics of the T60p and T61p would hold up benchmarked against the on-CPU graphics of a modern low power system.

looking up the specs of the T61p says it has a quadro 570m with 256 MB memory..... but looking up the 570m says it had 512MB.
Doesn't matter, you'd need to find such a VRAM-greedy game first that is content with just OpenGL 2.1. That was a LOT of VRAM back then.

The only game so far that's busting the VRAM of my good ol' FireGL is Minecraft with a shitload of mods - but with that I already run into issues with the chipset's 3GB RAM limit anyway.

I wouldn't put the T60s and T61s on the same level, they are entirely different hardware series. The T60 was the last T series designed by IBM's engineers with ATi graphics, the T61 was the first one from Lenovo with Nvidia graphics (which loved to break due to a hardware bug). Lenovo screwed up a lot simply by wanting to make things different that were already close to perfection.

Doesn't matter, you'd need to find such a VRAM-greedy game first that is content with just OpenGL 2.1. That was a LOT of VRAM back then.

The only game so far that's busting the VRAM of my good ol' FireGL is Minecraft with a shitload of mods - but with that I already run into issues with the chipset's 3GB RAM limit anyway.

I wouldn't put the T60s and T61s on the same level, they are entirely different hardware series. The T60 was the last T series designed by IBM's engineers with ATi graphics, the T61 was the first one from Lenovo with Nvidia graphics (which loved to break due to a hardware bug). Lenovo screwed up a lot simply by wanting to make things different that were already close to perfection.

My T61p experienced the hardware bug, 14 months after the warranty had expired. Lenovo actually sent an IBM technician to my house to replace the mainboard in my laptop on my kitchen table. For free. Why? It was a known defect in a Thinkpad so all of them got extended warranties for the issue. What was the issue? To my understanding, the Nvidia graphics chip ran so hot that it would melt connections.

I have a T61p and a W500 from that era. Great machines - made before Lenovo gradually ruined things. If it is an island keyboard, if insert isn't above delete, if Esc is left of F1, then it isn't a proper Thinkpad keyboard.

I would love to see the concept of 3rd party motherboard replacements for older Thinkpad models become more widespread. There is a Chinese company that has done a few.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Enthu...nkPad-designs-to-the-modern-era.194630.0.html

https://liliputing.com/2017/09/real...0-mods-put-modern-specs-old-laptop-cases.html

Walp, got the pi3 running pretty well with raspbian / retropie (thanks ED!)

The 13.3" fullHD hdmi monitor had horribly skewed colors from the factory, but with some tweaking, i got GREAT blacklevels, contrast and colors.
monitoruapra.jpg

Back