Avegant Glyph - as a Pyra companion device?

Grench

Forum Addict!
Glyph appears to be just a head mounted monitor/display - so it isn't a 'computer' in itself.  It's far more streamlined than the big diver's mask units that seem to be in the press so much these days.

http://avegant.com/

Pyra will have an HDMI output port and be capable of playing movies and games.  

The Glyph uses HDMI as it's primary input - and has no built in 'computer' functions.  Of the entertainment HMD options I've seen, it's likely the most practical from a casual use standpoint.

I could see using this with a Pyra on a plane.  Since it's open-view under and over the display band, immersion dissociation nausea shouldn't be nearly as bad when the movie/game moves one way and the plane moves another - you can still see the tray table.  Shoulder surfers would hate it.  TSA would see it as yet another set of honking huge headphones.

Combined Pyra + Glyph = Nerdvana?

Combined Pyra + Glyph = Nerdvana?
Aww, well, I'm usually quite modest, but... ;)

Okay, but a bit more seriously, the Avegant Glyph seems quite neat.  After a brief look at the spec sheet of this peripheral, I couldn't help but notice the built-in microphone, which would be very useful for extending the Pyra's phone potential. 

-Glyph Reader

No info about the field of vision in the specs, as usual... which is the main issue of these kinds of displays. Plus the resolution is very, very limited, you will get screen door effects a lot. 

^ The reviews quoted on the page seem to disagree. No idea how truthful they are, but for now it's someone who has used it vs. someone who hasn't :p

No info about the field of vision in the specs, as usual... which is the main issue of these kinds of displays. Plus the resolution is very, very limited, you will get screen door effects a lot. 
Field of vision is supposed to be 45*.  Admittedly not fantastic, but should be adequate.   1280x720 per eye with isn't enough?  That's the same resolution as the Pyra after all.  Plus, it isn't displays.  It's a mirror driven device that shines the light directly into your retina.   Think DLP projector using your eyeball as the screen.  It's supposed to be very sharp according to the reviews I read.

This looks great! 3 hours video seems a bit short to me, but I'm sure that's remedied by lugging around a battery pack like I always do...
It also recharges off of a microUSB cable.  In theory this could charge/run off of any phone battery recharging device thingy - or off of a USB cable connected to one of the Pyra's USB ports if you're willing to loose Pyra run time for complete device run time.

Still, it's a wait and see.  I didn't pre-order a Glyph.  I only saw the specs yesterday and thought, "Wow - those specs would mate up to a Pyra quite nicely..."

why include the headphones though? this seems like an obvious let down for anyone thats into quality audiophile headphones. just give my the projector thing. really, i can see apple buying this for their beats lineup, but i personally dont think its for me

Last edited by a moderator:
From the information I was able to find, they include some pretty nice headphone gear as well.  Active noise cancellation that you can turn off, mic, etc...  No idea of the quality of the actual speakers and amp, but they'd be pretty silly to put junk into it.

A solid set of high quality headphones with active noise cancellation can run $350-$500 by themselves.  $600 isn't really all that far out of line for something like this.  I'll be anxious to read the reviews when it gets released.  If they're good, I might buy a set.

im not about to drop $600 on run of the mill headphones from a company whos products ive never tried. why i said apple with their beats line might have a market in this, though i can never see a serious headphone manufacturer doing something like this any time soon

If Apple produced the exact same thing you could expect it to cost no less than $2000

You're saying that you expect it wouldn't sell at that price.

Only if it were produced by Apple, everyone else needs more modest profit margins.

Maybe Ed can somehow test this and put in his shop for sale.  I would buy it if Ed sells it...

PYRA Ultimate Edition = $1,500USD :D  

Last edited by a moderator:
Field of vision is supposed to be 45*. Admittedly not fantastic, but should be adequate. 1280x720 per eye with isn't enough? That's the same resolution as the Pyra after all. Plus, it isn't displays. It's a mirror driven device that shines the light directly into your retina. Think DLP projector using your eyeball as the screen. It's supposed to be very sharp according to the reviews I read.
No! No sharp things in the eyes!

That sounds like a display to me. A headset display in Pyra's native resolution sounds super-neato, thanks for sharing this find! I dunno if it's for me, but its existence does positively affect the desirability of the Pyra for some peops, and I'm pleased to see evidence that using retina as projection screen is technically practical in near future.

Also, hello; sometime lurker, first-time poster.

Back