Pyra Ports Protector?

What's your opinion on getting a molded silicone port cover? (Likely extra charge add-on?)

• Great idea! I'd buy one with my Pyra for a few Euros more.

Votes: 44 63.8%
  • Stupid idea! I wouldn't even consider buying one.

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • I like cheese.

Votes: 19 27.5%

• Total voters

Why have a little flappy silicon strip that protects just the ports when you might as well just go whole hog and create a silicone or TPU case to protect the entire device? Like this Hori 3DS case -

28527-300x300.jpg

A full case could have little port "plugs" that are attached to the case but can be removed and pulled out of the way when a port is in use - like the headphone port protector on a lot of smartphone cases, for example -

otterbox_silicone.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of the Pyra connectors are on the backside between the shoulder buttons so everything could be covered with one large rubber/silicone protectore there. Would be much simpler and sturdy I guess.

Also, some of us may not want to cover the entire thing (so it once again looks like a DS).  I like the idea of the port covers because they keep stuff out, not because they protect the case.  I already have ways to protect the case.

Also, some of us may not want to cover the entire thing (so it once again looks like a DS).  I like the idea of the port covers because they keep stuff out, not because they protect the case.  I already have ways to protect the case.
It wouldn't have to cover the logo.

I've always preferred silicone/TPU slip on cases for my gadgets - I don't really prefer a traditional travel case that I need to pull my device out of every time I want to use it - of course I hope both types are offered eventually to suit everyone's tastes.

TPU would be preferable to silicone as well, I think, since it doesn't attract lint or catch in pockets like silicone. I actually wouldn't mind if it covered the logo LED as long as I could see it glowing through the material.

It wouldn't have to cover the logo.
But it would still feel and look bad.  I have one of the DSi ones, and the only reason I leave it on is to cover the discoloration on the corners where the previous user was a bit rough with it.

You do make a very good point, though.  Would people be interested in a full cover that has a cutout for the logo?  I would not.

I've always preferred silicone/TPU slip on cases for my gadgets - I don't really prefer a traditional travel case that I need to pull my device out of every time I want to use it - of course I hope both types are offered eventually to suit everyone's tastes.

TPU would be preferable to silicone as well, I think, since it doesn't attract lint or catch in pockets like silicone. I actually wouldn't mind if it covered the logo LED as long as I could see it glowing through the material.
You don't need to use a case if you don't want to.  I think that sort of case/cover would really only add bulk and almost no protection, especially if we can get away from the paint.

The idea here is for just a simple small strip of silicone with molded protrusions to match the ports on the back of the Pyra.

I'm not a fan of the full-on case condoms pictured above.  It's a clam shell device - it inherently protects itself from the majority of directions.

Sorry for the frankenposting but any ideas about this?

I mean, it is going to happen?

You'll almost certainly need plugs to achieve IP68 while still having USB ports and SD slots; roughly translated IP68 seems to mean sand-proof and waterproof.  IP6X could probably be achieved by plugging the ports, though you'd probably need to block the speaker grills up if you wanted it still to be IP6X when open.  IPX8 is harder to build for, although it's quite easy to achieve IP68 by putting the whole thing in a submergible case.

Trying to build the device on its own to IP68 would seem to compromise its utility, so would not be something I'd be in favour of.

The very least would be IP2X, probably IP44 if closed and with plugs, and of course that would be best if it was IP55 open. That would probably mean useable on the beach (with precaution, aka not burried in the sand) or in the shower. Being able to safely listen to music while washing behind my ears would be a plus, and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.

Great idea for an accessory.  I don't think I'd buy one, though.  My Pandora is immune to pocket lint, dust bunnies, etc.  15 months of Afghan "Moon Dust" didn't even phase it.  If the Pyra is anything like the Pandora it should hold up fine without covers.

Great idea for an accessory.  I don't think I'd buy one, though.  My Pandora is immune to pocket lint, dust bunnies, etc.  15 months of Afghan "Moon Dust" didn't even phase it.  If the Pyra is anything like the Pandora it should hold up fine without covers.
You're welcome ^_^

Woody, you're sure it didn't get in the speakers or anything ? That would be A+ if it didn't...
I think a big part of that depends on where you spent time with it and how it was stored when not in use.  Different buildings and vehicles are better or worse at keeping the dust out, and if cleaning it out may also help.  Since you mentioned the dust I am guessing you were in one of the areas that had a lot of it, and I am pretty sure small amounts got in the Pandora, but perhaps not enough to matter.  Even things that are stored in ziploc type bags tend to accumulate dust if handled/used regularly in these environments.  Servers and such need to be cleaned out regularly (every week or two) if in an average building there as the fans help the dust get pulled in with the air.

But it would still feel and look bad.  I have one of the DSi ones, and the only reason I leave it on is to cover the discoloration on the corners where the previous user was a bit rough with it.

You do make a very good point, though.  Would people be interested in a full cover that has a cutout for the logo?  I would not.
Couldn't it be a clear case? I think just ports is a better idea tho. Easier to take off.

While I think it should be one strip, I think each port should have a flap of its own.

Also if it's going be a charge add-on, it would at least be a case that covers the base.

I have had clear cases (and am still using one on an old ipod), and personally think they are pretty ugly unless going for that look.  Now that you mention it, a transparent/translucent case is the better option, and it is what I would probably want since it would protect better.  

It just seems like a Pyra version of these ugly things:

365624.jpg

I would like a port protector if they were made.  If not, I might get the mask, er, case.

Back