Pyra not booting/charging

rosietastic

I hope someone can help me!

I left my Pyra unattended copying some files earlier (from an external powered USB drive to a micro sd card), and mistakenly the power cable connected to the otg port slipped out.

When I returned, the Pyra was powered off. I expect its battery is now completely discharged.

I cannot get it to respond at all and have tried charging by the serial/charging micro USB port and also the micro USB part of the otg port.

No lights are visible and the power light is out. I have left it with a cable plugged in for over an hour and nothing happens and nothing is responsive.

Can anyone give me any advice on what to try next?

Feel very empty without my Pyra!

Hmm, that seems an unfortunate accident, but far not, it should be very difficult to tank your pyra. I'd try leaving it plugged in for longer, reportedly discharged pandori were recovered by leaving them plugged in for multiple hours, I think it was 4 or 5 hours before a pandora had enough change to boot up and take over the charging process. The Pyra is equipped with a chip called a palmas from memory, which should be more intelligent about accepting charge, so it might not be quite that long, or it might be less long (but presumably longer than an hour). It should be possible by recollection to remove the battery and still boot up the system by plugging it in, which might be worth trying to assuage your pyra-loss, but perhaps the low voltage of the battery diverts enough current to that to stop the processor from booting.

Reactions: rSl
Hmm, that seems an unfortunate accident, but far not, it should be very difficult to tank your pyra. I'd try leaving it plugged in for longer, reportedly discharged pandori were recovered by leaving them plugged in for multiple hours, I think it was 4 or 5 hours before a pandora had enough change to boot up and take over the charging process. The Pyra is equipped with a chip called a palmas from memory, which should be more intelligent about accepting charge, so it might not be quite that long, or it might be less long (but presumably longer than an hour). It should be possible by recollection to remove the battery and still boot up the system by plugging it in, which might be worth trying to assuage your pyra-loss, but perhaps the low voltage of the battery diverts enough current to that to stop the processor from booting.
Thanks very much for the prompt reply Levi.
I tried removing the battery and plugged in via the otg port, but got no response and was not able to power on.

With battery inserted, it is currently plugged in by the otg port and I will leave it alone for the night.
No lights visible.

Sometimes, you really don't know how much you miss something until it's gone!

Maybe the Pyra has not completly shutdown.

Press the Pyra Power Button for around 10 or 12 Seconds.

After that..pause 2 Seconds and press is shortly.

When i shutdown my Pyra then she do not realy poweroff and nothing Responds until i do that.
Maybe your Pyra tried to shutdown because low Battery.

I cross my Fingers for you that maybe the Solution is so Simple like mine here.

Edit:
And nooooo SD Card inside please while booting :)

Maybe the Pyra has not completly shutdown.

Press the Pyra Power Button for around 10 or 12 Seconds.

After that..pause 2 Seconds and press is shortly.

When i shutdown my Pyra then she do not realy poweroff and nothing Responds until i do that.
Maybe your Pyra tried to shutdown because low Battery.

I cross my Fingers for you that maybe the Solution is so Simple like mine here.

Edit:
And nooooo SD Card inside please while booting :)
Thanks, yes, tried this. But no response at all.

As Levi described, I am hoping that the Pyra is slow charging and when it has enough power to boot to fast charging it will do so. I think that is how it works, but can only remember a palmas discussion from a long time ago and an not sure how it is currently implemented.

Its currently plugged in via the otg port, with no lights or activity visible.

No internal sd card inserted!

Yes, that sounds like it hasn't shut down properly. Even without a CPU board the mainboard can charge the battery itself :)

Either do the hard power shutdown that ingoreis mentioned - or remove the battery (and all power connections) for 10 seconds.
Post automatically merged:

Thanks, yes, tried this. But no response at all.

As Levi described, I am hoping that the Pyra is slow charging and when it has enough power to boot to fast charging it will do so. I think that is how it works, but can only remember a palmas discussion from a long time ago and an not sure how it is currently implemented.

Its currently plugged in via the otg port, with no lights or activity visible.

No internal sd card inserted!

No, that only works with the Pandora.
With the Pyra, the unit should definitely react. If the battery is defective or not there, the power light should blink.

Hmm, have you made sure the power supply and able are okay? Did you also try to connect it via the MicroUSB-Port in the middle?
Also try connecting it with the battery removed - if it doesn't blink then, something is wrong with the charger chip and we need to replace it :/

Yes, that sounds like it hasn't shut down properly. Even without a CPU board the mainboard can charge the battery itself :)

Either do the hard power shutdown that ingoreis mentioned - or remove the battery (and all power connections) for 10 seconds.
Post automatically merged:

No, that only works with the Pandora.
With the Pyra, the unit should definitely react. If the battery is defective or not there, the power light should blink.

Hmm, have you made sure the power supply and able are okay? Did you also try to connect it via the MicroUSB-Port in the middle?
Also try connecting it with the battery removed - if it doesn't blink then, something is wrong with the charger chip and we need to replace it :/
Thanks Evildragon.

Oh dear.

I have removed battery and all power for ages and tried booting with middle USB port and otg port (separately) plugged in.

No lights or any activity visible. Power button does nothing with any sort of press.

Power supply and cable are fine as they charge another device ok.

Is there anything else I can try?

Ooops i tried it 10 Seconds and it was not enough...please try that 20 Seconds.

And please no one SD Card in any Port.

Here i made a short Video with it:

Another Idea to revive your Pyra is to try reinstalling the OS.
Maybe something is wrong with your Bootloader.

Try to DiskDump this Image here https://packages.pyra-handheld.com/images/buster/pyra-40-install.img.7z to an SD Card
You know about DiskDump or SD Card Images?

Under Windows i would unpack this Image from 7z and write the IMG File with a Tool like USBIT from here:
to an SD Card.

Maybe your Pyra will boot from this SD Card then.
When your Bootloader is Damaged then it should boot from your left SD Card Slot with this Image.

Best whishes and good Luck that it work.

Ooops i tried it 10 Seconds and it was not enough...please try that 20 Seconds.

And please no one SD Card in any Port.

Here i made a short Video with it:

Another Idea to revive your Pyra is to try reinstalling the OS.
Maybe something is wrong with your Bootloader.

Try to DiskDump this Image here https://packages.pyra-handheld.com/images/buster/pyra-40-install.img.7z to an SD Card
You know about DiskDump or SD Card Images?

Under Windows i would unpack this Image from 7z and write the IMG File with a Tool like USBIT from here:
to an SD Card.

Maybe your Pyra will boot from this SD Card then.
When your Bootloader is Damaged then it should boot from your left SD Card Slot with this Image.

Best whishes and good Luck that it work.

Thanks very much for your efforts here. Much appreciated.

Unfortunately, my Pyra is not responding to any combination of battery inserted, removed, USB power in middle or otg port, with no lights visible. Loooong press of the power button followed by short press does nothing and there are no lights showing when power is applied after a battery remove.

I would have thought I would see a flicker of lights and power, but unfortunately cannot see any sign of power.

No sdcards are present during this.

As Evildragon says, it appears the problem is more significant.

Yes, regardless of the OS, the power light should at least blink when you put power into the unit.
I guess we'll need to replace it. Your CPU board is probably fine, so you will keep your setup when we replace the PCB :)

Yes, regardless of the OS, the power light should at least blink when you put power into the unit.
I guess we'll need to replace it. Your CPU board is probably fine, so you will keep your setup when we replace the PCB :)
Understood Evildragon.
Unfortunately it is not blinking at all.
Thanks very much for your help. Do I need to raise a ticket or send you my details?

With regards my configuration, yes, i was hoping that was the case as although I have my home directory mounted to an external sdcard, there is still so much on the internal storage.

Try a different USB cable / dedicated charging adapter it's pretty fussy with charging cables and adapters :)
Thanks Wally.

Yes, have tried with a number of different cables and chargers. All of which were known to work on my Pyra fine previously and work well now for charging other devices.

I think Evildragon is right and I have a failed charging chip/main board.

I think Evildragon is right and I have a failed charging chip/main board.
Then, ship it to :
Code:
DragonBox Shop
OpenPandora GmbH
Asternweg 5
85080 Gaimersheim
Germany
With return information and a description of your issue (your nickname on these boards might/will help).

Then, ship it to :
Code:
DragonBox Shop
OpenPandora GmbH
Asternweg 5
85080 Gaimersheim
Germany
With return information and a description of your issue (your nickname on these boards might/will help).
Thanks for the details. Will return tomorrow when the post office opens.

I will stop crying soon, I promise!

Thanks for all of your help. Awesome support and community.

Back