Pyra Docking Station with Ethernet?

ashcloud

-- BANNED! -- Lactose Intolerant Volcano
Pyra with a full RJ-45 ethernet port built in won't happen, thats for sure. But I'm wondering, if the SoC used in the Pyra has Gigabit Ethernet capabilities. In this case ethernet could be featured on an expansion port, so you could use it at home on the docking station. At home I often use my Pandora with a USB ethernet adapter, because connection speed an reliability is much better than with WiFi. So for me this would be a really useful feature.

Using a USB network card on the docking station would of course be possible too, but USB is a bottleneck (even at 100MBits) that's slowing down the connection.

(1) Native Ethernet (1GBits/s if possible) directly from the SoC provided on the expansion port and featured on the docking station would be great.

(2) A not that fast alternative would be to include a USB network adapter in the docking station.

Otherwise it's going to be the external network adapter for me again.

@Pyra Team: Would (1) be possible for the Pyra? If not, will you consider (2)? How much cost would this add to the Pyra?

@Everyone else: How much useful would that be for you? Would you like this to happen?

I think this is a usefull feature indeed. But I doubt a docking connector will be possible. That why I proposed a dock with several USB compartments in another thread.

USB 3 should have no bottleneck since it can go theoratically until 5Gbits/s, which is way above the 1Gbit/s of the Ethernet port. So I'm not sure why you'd want to have a specific port for that if the USB3 port is a given on the Pyra. 

RJ45 is a must for the dock station. My home LAN is already running on 1G, but even a 100M Ethernet on the station will be nice.

I think gigabit ethernet is the main feature of a docking station for the pyra, if ED ever gets around to producing one.

What else should it do? Offer more USB ports? Line-in connector for audio?

As mentioned in another thread, Video, audio and ethernet could be provided by a hdmi connection in a dockingstation. Hdmi should be able to handle a gbit connection.

Hdmi should be able to handle a gbit connection
Can it though? I know HEC is part of the 1.4 specification but is it a mandatory feature?I can find absolutely nothing in the reference document about ethernet, and the HDMI section only talks about audio/video and CEC, so I'm almost entirely positive that it isn't supported.

As mentioned in another thread, Video, audio and ethernet could be provided by a hdmi connection in a dockingstation. Hdmi should be able to handle a gbit connection.
Are there HDMI<->Ethernet  chips available? I know there are USB-Ethernet adapters, so it seems more likely ED would be able to find an off the shelf solution for that.

I asked for a native RJ45 directly on the Pyra, but it's not likely to happen :/.

Hdmi should be able to handle a gbit connection
Can it though? I know HEC is part of the 1.4 specification but is it a mandatory feature?
I can find absolutely nothing in the reference document about ethernet, and the HDMI section only talks about audio/video and CEC, so I'm almost entirely positive that it isn't supported.
I don't know wether this still applies, but back then (when HDMi 1.4 was anncounced) special chips where offered to provide the functionality for the SoC

USB 3 should have no bottleneck since it can go theoratically until 5Gbits/s, which is way above the 1Gbit/s of the Ethernet port. So I'm not sure why you'd want to have a specific port for that if the USB3 port is a given on the Pyra. 
so, are we getting USB 3.0 ports? I missed this info, I guess. ...are we?

so, are we getting USB 3.0 ports? I missed this info, I guess. ...are we?
if the OMAP5 is the SoC we finally end up with, there will be one USB3 OnTheGo port

if the OMAP5 is the SoC we finally end up with, there will be one USB3 OnTheGo port
While the OMAP5 has the port there's no guarantee that EvilDragon will make full use of it. There may not be enough room for the full USB3.0 wide port so we might only get the USB2.0 features of it. That'd be pretty silly though and I can't see him making that sacrifice in favour of a second USB host port so it's probably not something to worry about.

While the OMAP5 has the port there's no guarantee that EvilDragon will make full use of it. There may not be enough room for the full USB3.0 wide port so we might only get the USB2.0 features of it. That'd be pretty silly though and I can't see him making that sacrifice in favour of a second USB host port so it's probably not something to worry about.
Big chance that I just don't get the facts right: Isn't there a reason why the OMAP5s UBS3 port is tagged as "OnTheGo" ? Meaning it needs more than just to change the receptable to get a complete USB3 Host port ? Which means, having one or two USB2 Host ports and a USB3 OnTheGo port on the Pyra (if the OMAP5 is the SoC of choice).

Back