Docking port

_wb_ is correct. I assume a docking station for P2 would have different connectors than P1 but it would be nice to use the same docking station for P1 as well. I am pretty sure that I will keep one or two P1s after I have bought a P2. Having the ability to use the same docking station for all my Ps would be very nice.

Not sure if this is technically and economically feasible though.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Please keep the number of case holes and dust collectors as low as possible - as long as they add functionality, I'm fine with them (e.g. a third SD slot :) ), but redundant alternative versions of ports that are already there just seems like a waste to me. So please no dedicated docking port.

With SlimPort (DisplayPort using a microUSB connector), you could make a "docking station" using just that one connector: it can be used for video and audio out, charging and attaching a USB keyboard/mouse, all at the same time. When you're using it as a mobile device, it's still a usable microUSB port. No wasted space, no redundant dust holes.
Something else some people want a docking station or breakout board for is the ability to interface with other devices over slower serial connections. So it'd be good to bring out interfaces like UART, SPI, I2C that the SoC is bound to have some spares of. Even the Pandora has a breakout board that was made long before the first complete unit shipped, to bring out serial to help with early development.

Why would the docking station need the EXT port? Audio can be done through HDMI/DP.
I have a projector setup, I need to use another audio source on all my devices instead of using the HDMI audio since the projector doesn't pass along the audio in any form. It was theorized that the EXT connector could substitute the video out jack on the current TV out cable for SPDIF/digital out.

^^ yep me too. HDMI must be connected to the beamer, line-out to the amplifier. Having both would be ideal, i.e. dedicated line-out + audio over HDMI for ppl. with "modern" TVs / monitors with speakers.

Why have a docking connector, when you can have a rigidly mounted USB plug, HDMI plug, EXT plug, etc all positioned to fit the sockets on the back of the <insert name here>?
Hmm, I just assumed that it would be cheaper and easier to build one sturdy docking connector instead of 5 (HDMI, line out, USB2, USB3 or SATA, power).

In case of a dedicated docking connector, I would suggest to place that on the bottom of the device (there's plenty of space for sth. like that near the battery compartment, at least on the Pandora).

On paper, a typical port/connector component seems to be rated for ~5000 mating cycles (some only for ~2000, some for ~10000).

However, if the port is not screwed on the case and all stress is put on the solder joints when docking the device, I would assume that it is more likely that one of the solder joints breaks long before the port itself wears out.

I wonder how mass market devices handle this..are the ports simply glued to the case or PCB ? (..and if something breaks during guarantee, simply exchange the whole device instead of trying repairs..?)

Why would the docking station need the EXT port? Audio can be done through HDMI/DP.
Serial ports and GPIOs, although to be fair I don't foresee serial ports being used much or at all really.

Why have a docking connector, when you can have a rigidly mounted USB plug, HDMI plug, EXT plug, etc all positioned to fit the sockets on the back of the <insert name here>?
That probably puts a lot of stress to the connectors

Please keep the number of case holes and dust collectors as low as possible - as long as they add functionality, I'm fine with them (e.g. a third SD slot :) ), but redundant alternative versions of ports that are already there just seems like a waste to me. So please no dedicated docking port.

With SlimPort (DisplayPort using a microUSB connector), you could make a "docking station" using just that one connector: it can be used for video and audio out, charging and attaching a USB keyboard/mouse, all at the same time. When you're using it as a mobile device, it's still a usable microUSB port. No wasted space, no redundant dust holes.
While I do would like a "real" docking port, it may be "too much" for a device like the P2. I wonder how much USB3 performance will be limited by the SoC performance. My colleague connects his notebook via a USB3 dock to two 1920x1200 displays (with compression related "drawbacks") , might that be possible with a P2 too ?

@TrashyMG, @bsp: Doesn't your beamer have an audio out port exactly for that reason? Mine has, and it's a pretty old beamer.

Serial ports and GPIOs and all those interfaces: sure, it's nice to have a way to get those, but I assume that only few people will use that, and since they're likely to be comfortable with some DIY hardware-hacking, I don't think they need a user-friendly docking station for that.

I'm not in favor of putting a hole in the bottom of the device. The battery has to go there. Also I want the top and bottom areas to be smooth, for pocketability.

Slimport does charging. Im guessing it looks for a compatible charger on the data pins to allow more current than is standard.

It is possible to configure the pandora to draw more from software, i think that is a good threshold on "i know what im doing" if there isnt a automated way like described.

Serial ports and GPIOs, although to be fair I don't foresee serial ports being used much or at all really.
we can also throw away the ext connector, but I guess some people want to keep it
Yes, EXT port is really handy for people wanting to create simple accessories (I wish someone will design a little wired remote with lcd screen to control audio playback[maybe me, who knows?], someone recently wanted a small IR emitter/receptor "dongle", …) without using the usb ports.
If the result of the hacking can be used by non-hackers people, having a "standardized" connector readily available on "P2" is a far better option, I think.

@TrashyMG, @bsp: Doesn't your beamer have an audio out port exactly for that reason? Mine has, and it's a pretty old beamer.
Mine has absolutely no audio outputs, this one doesn't even have a poor sounding internal speaker like my old one did.

While I do would like a "real" docking port, it may be "too much" for a device like the P2. I wonder how much USB3 performance will be limited by the SoC performance. My colleague connects his notebook via a USB3 dock to two 1920x1200 displays (with compression related "drawbacks") , might that be possible with a P2 too ?
Well, that's DisplayLink.

you can already do it with Pandora.

I'm using a full HD display from time to time with the Pandora via USB.

Well, that's DisplayLink.

you can already do it with Pandora.

I'm using a full HD display from time to time with the Pandora via USB.
No, DisplayLink uses USB 2.0 and has the problem that it has to work around the limited bandwidth, so there is no way it can do uncompressed 60Hz full HD. It is not suitable for playing games or watching movies - only for displaying mostly static stuff, like pictures or slides.

SlimPort uses the physical USB connectors and cables, but it does not follow the USB protocol so it does not have that bandwidth limitation problem - it can do uncompressed 60Hz full HD with still a small 1 Mbit/s channel left for input devices etc.

You need 60 x 24 x 1920 x 1080 bit/s or about 3 Gbit/s for uncompressed full HD at 60Hz. USB 2.0 is limited to 480 Mbit/s. USB 3.0 can do 5 Gbit/s - that should be just enough for one full HD screen in practice, if you take all overheads into account. So in principle you could do full HD video output through a USB 3.0 port.

USB 3.1 has been announced recently (July 31, 2013), which doubles the transfer rate to 10 Gbit/s, which would be enough for two or maybe even three full HD screens.

Back