Put The "ship" In Shipping?

Status
Not open for further replies.
WizardStan said:
There is a volcano currently spewing stuff into the air making it difficult for them to put things where they belong. What use is a tracking number in a situation where they are too busy finding places to put stuff to actually update said tracking number?
Assumption remains exactly where I put it.
Yeah, it sucks that they have to do a bunch of extra work and disrupt their delivery schedule, but that does not mean they don't know where it is. I am sure the volcano greatly disrupts their ability to give an ETA, but they are in the buisness of tracking and insuring delivery, which I am sure they are still doing very well.

Your assumption about assumptions nullified.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cracker Jacker said:
Yeah, it sucks that they have to do a bunch of extra work and disrupt their delivery schedule, but that does not mean they don't know where it is. I am sure the volcano greatly disrupts their ability to give an ETA, but they are in the buisness of tracking and insuring delivery, which I am sure they are still doing very well.

Your assumption about assumptions nullified.
Ok, you're right. There is absolutely no way that such an unusual situation could possibly lead to UPS not being able to keep their customers up to date on the whereabouts of their packages. In the confusion, they've not only kept perfect records of everything but also been able to keep the end user system 100% accurate as well, because there is no way that it could be any other way.

WizardStan said:
Ok, you're right. There is absolutely no way that such an unusual situation could possibly lead to UPS not being able to keep their customers up to date on the whereabouts of their packages. In the confusion, they've not only kept perfect records of everything but also been able to keep the end user system 100% accurate as well, because there is no way that it could be any other way.
What confusion? Why do you assume that just because something unexpected happened, that UPS would lose it's head and suddenly stop delivering on all of it's standards instead of the ones directly affected by the unexpected event. On the contrary, it's in UPS's best interest to maintain exacting records at this time, so that when deliverys do resume, they can be done so quickly and efficently. I doubt the end user system was %100 at the best of times. What's with all the absolutes?

Cracker Jacker said:
What confusion? Why do you assume that just because something unexpected happened, that UPS would lose it's head
I don't assume that they've lost their heads or anything like that, I'm simply choosing not to assume that everything is running perfectly as you seem to be.

WizardStan said:
I don't assume that they've lost their heads or anything like that, I'm simply choosing not to assume that everything is running perfectly as you seem to be.
Yet another incorrect assumption and another absolute. *Everything* is not running perfectly. A volcano just blew a bunch of ash in the air affecting passenger travel and parcel *delivery*. As far as I know, computers and bar code scanners are still functioning just fine.

Cracker Jacker said:
Yet another incorrect assumption and another absolute. *Everything* is not running perfectly. A volcano just blew a bunch of ash in the air affecting passenger travel and parcel *delivery*. As far as I know, computers and bar code scanners are still functioning just fine.
A summary of the conversation so far:
Zotty said he assumed you could use the tracking number to figure out where the package was at this very moment.
I said we're in an unusual situation and that it is not necessarily true.
You said that UPS does still have tracking numbers, and I quote: Assumption Un-Nullified. In fact, it's confirmed. (So you agree with the assumption. It isn't an assumption on my part, you stated explicitly that the assumption, the assumption Zotty made about using the tracking number to find the package at this very moment, was correct)
I then followed up by saying that, yes, tracking numbers exist, but we're still in an unusual situation and you can't assume that everything is working as it should.
You countered by basically saying "yes we can" without adding anything further to the discussion.
I responded in pure sarcasm that there is absolutely no way that a volcano could possibly have disrupted things (meaning that I am not convinced by your "argument" that we can assume everything is running the same now as it did before the volcano)
You made the incorrect assumption that I assumed that the volcano meant that things had most definitely gone wrong.
I clarified, again, saying that it was Zotty (and yourself, as proven above) making the assumption that everything should work the same as it did pre-volcano that I disagreed with.
You then again made a false claim of assumption by assuming that I was assuming that you had assumed that everything was the same, when in fact you had stated that you had confirmed the assumption personally, thereby creating a contradiction in your statements.

Did I miss anything?

WizardStan said:
Did I miss anything?
The point apparently. You don't need to slam people for making educated assumptions, and using absolutes in an argument is great way to start a flame war.

God it would be nice if there were a straightforward way to do rail freight from China to Western Europe, wouldn't it?

fusion_power said:
Imagine you are a huge Company and you need Millions of Parts within a few days and this not only once. I think with that speed it would take ages until everything arrives. :D
Od do they use other "secret" routes that lead directly to Europe? :unsure:

I don't think that huge companies are ever going to need millions of parts withing a few days: they can afford to plan months in advance and have everything shipped by ship, which is slower, but also way cheaper, when you consider that they aren't shipping just a few pallets, but whole containers of stuff.

UPS does have events for things like train derailments that do show up in the tracking logs. However, perhaps whoever was in charge of shipping this didn't give Craig a tracking number.

Cracker Jacker said:
WizardStan said:
Did I miss anything?
The point apparently. You don't need to slam people for making educated assumptions

That's quite correct. You need a damned good slamming and flaming for that screenshot though - do you have any idea of the amount of information that gives about you as a person and your habits online? And on this board in particular, I would have thought that anyone capable of continuing an argument against Stan would have been more intelligent than to do what you're been doing.

Though I'm obviously wrong in that assessment, given the evidence.

D.

Dunny said:
I would have thought that anyone capable of continuing an argument against Stan would have been more intelligent than to do what you're been doing.
:lol:

WizardStan said:
You then again made a false claim of assumption by assuming that I was assuming that you had assumed that everything was the same, when in fact you had stated that you had confirmed the assumption personally, thereby creating a contradiction in your statements.
You know what they say about assumptions right?

they make an ASS out of U and ME

;)

Cracker Jacker said:
The point apparently. You don't need to slam people for making educated assumptions, and using absolutes in an argument is great way to start a flame war.
I agree. So why do you appear to keep making them, and telling me that I'm "slamming" someone for suggesting that they not make them? For someone who claims to hate absolutes (which is itself an statement of absolute, but we'll let it pass only because qualifying it to avoid the paradox can take too long) you seem to enjoy using them a lot, even when you claim you don't actually feel that way.
I think I've made my point. I don't see anything you could possibly say that would salvage your further tarnished reputation, sorry. I'm claiming success, dropping the subject, and all attempts to reopen it will be met with smiling and nodding. :)

To reiterate what I said earlier to Zotty, but applies in general: with the volcano going on, it's unwise to make any assumptions about shipping and travel. There's too many variables for anyone outside the industry to make a reasonable guess. For all we know, the packages could be sitting in France on a plane that was supposed to land in the UK, in which case the most recent tracking information would say something like "departed Texas bound for UK: estimated arrival time April 16th".

by ship? you're a crazy man I can already see cthulhu tentacles trying to get our precious pandoras to rule the universe

I suddenly have a vision of Ed, battling through a grey wasteland of volcanic ash, pulling a sled full of components towards england

WizardStan said:
You then again made a false claim of assumption by assuming that I was assuming that you had assumed that everything was the same,

:lol:

Somebody needs to put this in their signature. I'm going to go ahead and shove it in the spoiler I've got.

OMG, at least pandora parts dont have an expiration date, just think about all the flowers food chemicals transported via air that most be goin musk green and discomposing, probably next to the pandora boards??
(Oh Sh*t)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back