PTOD

levi1123

Yeah, I'm just starting to notice the coined "Purple Tint Of Death" again is plaguing my Pandora's screen. I'll send it back again for another repair when it gets unbearable. =( Thankfully its an easy fix from ED, I just dislike any time without the Pandora accompanying my roster of electronic devices.

Any input on this though guys? I've already had to send it back once to get that repaired. Which was originally caused because the cable was fed into the screen from the board improperly causing it to become pinched, or stressed otherwise and break. How could this happen a second time if that issue was rectified, by putting the cable in properly to rid that stress?

I guess you were either extremely unlucky, or there is a global conspiration aggainst you !. happily my pandy shown issues yet (if we forget the wifi). im sure there is quite a few peeps in the same situation as i.

^ It's also possible to get the white lines (or multicoloured lines, or simply a blank screen that then fades into white or multicoloured lines) if you have an LCD cable failure, whilst not getting the tint-of-death. (My previous Pandora went out in this fashion - sudden failure, no tint.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, lucky you. :p Two for the price of one. Or was it that I got gypped and only got one?

Having self repaired my own PTOD, I have a lot of confidence that it was the shielding they had to put on the cable which causes them to break. It's very stiff, tending to bend rather than roll, and the bend kinks up the actual cable which is very fragile, breaking it. If I were someone to suggest things that shouldn't be done, I would definitely not suggest removing this copper tape from your own cable. :ph34r:

Mostly because it's a very tricky procedure to do.

Fortunately, the new cables that are coming are, according to ED, better shielded without the thick tape, so that should see an even sharper reduction in PTOD than what we've already seen, I would like to think.

I'm not sure if it was the shielding, I now believe that some of the cables were just poorly made.

My own Pandora is possibly the oldest Pandora still in use in the world, it is made from the very first case samples and final prototype board.

The LCD cable still works fine. I believe Notaz still has a unit almost as old which I assume still works.

I suspect we just have 'good' cables and I dare say they will last as long as the Pandora now they have had plenty of use.

At least this issue will come to an end with the delivery of the new LCD cables.

The actual number of failed LCD cables isn't all that high, most of them have been reported here on the forum - what I have noticed is you can only remove/insert the LCD cable on to the Pandora board a few times before it will fail. Even moving the board or opening the case and not knowing what you are doing could cause that to happen, which is why you should not really go poking about inside any further than the shoulder buttons.

At least all these issue are being dealt with now, so any Pandora2 will be reasonably problem free if we do indeed stick to the same parts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's a mixture of both shielding AND the cable quality.

While most work reliable, some fail from the very beginning, some fail after a few weeks.

The shielding just increased the possibility for it to break.

The new cables (production has just been finished and the cables will ship this week to me) have been extensively tested, a new company is doing this. We told them exactly what our problem is and where they fail.

The new company is specialized on flex cables and is based in Taiwan (not China). They do a lot of cables for MSI laptops, etc., so they know what they're doing.

I have one the early production units and the blue/purple tinting is getting worse. For now it comes and goes, but I will have to send it in at some point.

Will the new cables be going into Batch 1 units when they arrive, or are they only for future batches? Thanks. I know I'd not mind paying more to get the new cable, as it'd be worth knowing it's less likely to fail, and all the associated hassle, and costs.

Will the new cables be going into Batch 1 units when they arrive, or are they only for future batches? Thanks. I know I'd not mind paying more to get the new cable, as it'd be worth knowing it's less likely to fail, and all the associated hassle, and costs.

The current ones (only about 200 or so left) will be used, as they are already assembled in cases, from that on, the new ones will also be used in Batch 1.

The current ones (only about 200 or so left) will be used, as they are already assembled in cases, from that on, the new ones will also be used in Batch 1.

Thanks for the info EviLDragon, I thought that all the cables were there, but I'm glad they're not actually.

Thanks for the info EviLDragon, I thought that all the cables were there, but I'm glad they're not actually.

Well, they were, but we killed about 200 while building the first units (because they weren't placed properly), 300 didn't work from the very beginning and some failed and needed to be replaced :)

Well, they were, but we killed about 200 while building the first units (because they weren't placed properly), 300 didn't work from the very beginning and some failed and needed to be replaced :)
I've got this problem, and will need to RMA. Will I get one of the new cables?

i got purple tint on some screen angles :'(

(and since my hinge has almost NO resistance, total wobbliness .. it happends pretty much anytime... )

so this last question is relevant of my interests!

also i guess that for a RMA, we have to pay for shipping to england, so isn't it possible to simply order a new cable for that price and replace it ourselves for those who can?

Back