Psx4Pandora Ffviii Compatibility

I wonder, if using the PlayStation 3 memory card adaptor, could we connect a PocketStation to Pandora(through usb) in order to play Final Fantasy VIII's Chocobo World? Are there Linux driver files Pandora could use for the PS3 memory card adaptor and does PSX4Pandora save using its own unique save file format or does it use the same standard save file format the PlayStation 1 does?

Are you sure the PS3 memory card adapter you're referring to really supports PocketStation? My old Dex Drive didn't, and the only way I could program the PocketStation was to write the image to a PS1 memory card then transfer it using a PS2.

actually, I have no idea.. my knowledge of this issue is practically zilch. I had just assumed that the "mini games"(or whatever you want to call all those little games like the ones in Pocket MuuMuu) were transferred to and saved on PocketStation in the same manner(and similar format) as standard PlayStation 1 game saves.. My issue isn't a burning need for compatibility with that official memory card adaptor(I only mentioned it because I happen to have one laying around and it's just got the memory card slot on one end, and a usb port on the other..and hey, it does work with the fully&semi backwards compatible PS3's play the game on the PS3, transfer the save from hdd to memory card and the save works on PS1&2 consoles). I don't really care(it would be convenient though..) if that particular adaptor is supported by Pandora PS1 emulators, but that way it would streamline the process. If that or some other adaptor can't be made to work, the only potential alternative would be if PSX4Pandora(or any other potentially kick-ass future Pandora PS1 emulators) game saves saved in(or are able to be converted to) the same format as they would be if you were just playing them on a PlayStation 1 or 2. At least that way you could use something to transfer the saves to a PS1 memory card in a PS2, pop in the game, load up the save, continue where you left off back when you were playing it on Pandora, use the PS2 to save the "mini games" to the PocketStation, play those little games, then reverse the process(use something to transfer the "mini game" from the PocketStation inserted in the PS2 to Pandora(or other computer), convert "mini game" data if necessary, load up the game in PSX4Pandora(or other future Pandora PS1 emulator) and...there you go..) I mentioned FFVIII(an awesome game btw) because without playing Chocobo World you won't be able to get the best weapons for your characters in the main game.

I used to have a pocket station. Chocobo World wasn't that great. What I loved was the VMU Dreamcast mini games like the ones in Skies of Arcadia, that was cool.

On the dreamcast VMU- I have two and many games, yet still have no mini games. Can't find a game with mini games on it. They should have been more widely supported.

kingoddball said:
On the dreamcast VMU- I have two and many games, yet still have no mini games. Can't find a game with mini games on it. They should have been more widely supported.

Skies of Arcadia. Also, Power Stone had 3 mini games.

-God Ginrai

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, I remember the Power Stone ones. Good stuff. Sod Chocobo World, I'll be glad to just have FFVIII running on it full-speed with sound. :) (I hope.) Back when I had a PSP it didn't play FFVIII or IX, just VII.

Mantis said:
Yep, I remember the Power Stone ones. Good stuff. Sod Chocobo World, I'll be glad to just have FFVIII running on it full-speed with sound. :) (I hope.) Back when I had a PSP it didn't play FFVIII or IX, just VII.

I want to play them all. I've never been big on actually completing these games, other things always got in the way. So this is what I'm looking forward to the most. *nudge* Come on Zodttd, lets package that up into a .pnd :)

Resident Evil would be excellent. Survival Horror on the move!

I still think we need cheat support (action replay and gameshark).

As far as I remember, psx4all saves to the same file format of most PS1 emulators. So assuming there's an app around (Open Source, obviously) that lets you get saves from an emulator memory card file and interface with the adaptor you have, the "play part on Pandora, part on real PlayStation" can work. From there, MAYBE the PocketStation would work if it interfaced with the console exactly like a memory card, ie: it works like a memory card when connected, but stand-alone it modifies the saves internally. There's a chance it's nt as easy as that though, since Exophase said it didn't work with the DexDrive.

The memory card adapter probably won't have drivers for Linux either. You'd be much more likely to be able to extract the file on a Windows computer, from a PocketStation or if necessary a PS1 memory card with the PS contents transferred using a PS1 or PS2. Then transfer the file to a Pandora, and if it's not in the format psx4all uses you can use this to convert it:

http://psxmem.raphnet.net/

Which will probably compile on Pandora.

You can also use this on Windows:

http://www.fpsece.net/forum2/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1053

am I correct that the Linux option: PSX Memory Card Manager, while it can edit & save gamesaves, requires the user to actually build a device to interface with the program?

On the issue of the official PS3 Memory Card Adaptor, it looks like it quite likely will work for transferring PocketStation games to windows. I have discovered evidence that the official PS3 Memory Card Adaptor does at least, acknowledge the difference between a standard PlayStation memory card and the PocketStation(or at least passes all data through). As I understand it, this is what happens when you put a PocketStation in the official PS3 Memory Card Adaptor and connect it to a PS3:

1558170131_cff8b05022.jpg

Unfortunately, the PS3 can't make any use of the PocketStation(the icon above appears, but nothing can be done with it and games like FFVIII, when played on PS3 don't detect the PocketStaton).
I have also found there is a driver file(used to make windows recognize the official PS3 Memory Card Adaptor, and at least be able to read data through it) and program to transfer that data on to windows. So the official PS3 Memory Card Adaptor does know the difference(or at least lets all data through) between a standard PlayStation memory card & PocketStation and as long as the program can transfer whatever data it detects through the official PS3 Memory Card Adaptor onto windows we would just need to use PSXMemTool to convert the data to a format that PSX4Pandora can use.

I even found a youtube video detailing installation of the driver file and the program to transfer data from the official PS3 Memory Card Adaptor(you might need to turn up the volume, the guy is kind of quiet..). Oh, by the way, for the link he placed below his video where it says: "The initial link is: http://blog.digitalvampire.net/2007/0..." just gives a 404 error, so use this instead(it goes to the exact webpage he uses in the video, I guess he just screwed up the link, or something..) As for the other links he has listed, the top one of the two that ends with "kasiwano" may be the driver file that works for the official PS3 Memory Card Adaptor and the bottom one is the transfer program he used(I don't know if it is absolutely required to make all this work or if it is just the transfer progran he decided to use).

Actually all this gets me thinking, what if the problem with DexDrive isn't hardware, but software(maybe the "official" DexDrive program just doesn't include PocketStation support, if that is the case, maybe there are other programs that can read from DexDrive as well?). At any rate if PSXMemTool can convert the PocketStation data into a PSX4Pandora compatible format the "play part on Pandora, part on real PlayStation" will work.

Back