Psx With 3D Acceleration

hyper

Still Fresh
I'm pretty sure it's possible to get the Wiz running at decent frame rates by utilizing the 3D accelerator that's built in to this fantastic little device. Now I love my wiz already and there's some great emulators out there. But this would make the wiz 1000x better and probably attract more crowds.

We all feel this but nobody is willing to do anything about....or so it seems.

Would it be possible to port PCSX it's open source, has linux version and can use plugins to make it use 3D Acceleration.

I would really like to apologise Mike, I have re-opened your topic, Because like
a silly plonker, I sent you to a similar topic, But in the wrong forum. Oops.

Note to self: Don`t make silly, Obvious mistakes in future. :rolleyes:

Trooper

Don't worry about it man, the post was helpful, hopefully we can convice him to make a wiz port ;).

i'd like to try it out, but neither i have the source code nor the desire to beg for it. it's sad but i really hoped to play crash bandicoot on the wiz since i also thought it might be capable because of the 3d chip ...
regrading the psx4iphone wiki http://www.zodttd.com/wiki/index.php/Psx4iphone there's someone working on a pandora port of psx4all. maybe we're luck and when this one is finished/released we can get a port for the wiz...

That compatibility list is a bit dissapointing though I hope it runs better on the Pandora and Wiz

Mike said:
That compatibility list is a bit dissapointing though I hope it runs better on the Pandora and Wiz

damn..I wish playable PSX emu become reality on WIZ!

Last edited by a moderator:
Zodttd does not want to release the source, i don´t know why but at least one coder have asked him the last source and he says yes but it never release it.

It´s a shame :(

Rivroner said:
Zodttd does not want to release the source, i don´t know why but at least one coder have asked him the last source and he says yes but it never release it.

afaik zodttd (i need to type that name 3 times to get it correct;)) will work on a pandora version of psx4all with 3d support. so the only thing we can do is hoping that he'll port this version to the wiz *fingers crossed*

crow_riot said:
Rivroner said:

afaik zodttd (i need to type that name 3 times to get it correct;)) will work on a pandora version of psx4all with 3d support. so the only thing we can do is hoping that he'll port this version to the wiz *fingers crossed*

I do not know if it is I or you who misunderstood the topic : "3D accelerator" mesounds to refer the hardware registers to compute 3d mathematics found in WIZ chipset (not a coprocessor since it is not available through an instruction set). So I do not see how a Pandora version of psx4all with 3d support (like Open GL ES 2.0 ?) may help here if it is what I thought.

3D accelerator refers to any part of the standard 3D pipeline (in this case OGL) that's accelerated. A version of psx4all with OpenGL ES 2.0 support wouldn't apply to Wiz but one with OpenGL ES 1.0 would.

The Wiz doesn't have some kind of general purpose math unit where you put inputs on registers and read back outputs. It has a floating point programmable vector unit that executes vector instructions stored in a small instruction RAM, that comes after vertex insertion in the pipeline. You could possibly abuse it to to turn it into a general purpose FPU, if it's capable of writing to somewhere aside from input to the triangle setup engine. But the time to get these values round trip would most likely be prohibitive. You'd need to be able to DMA result batches off of it back into RAM in order for it to be useful.

The important thing is that Zodttd is not releasing the last source code and i don´t know why.

He use the source code from others coders but he is not releasing a thing :(

Exophase said:
3D accelerator refers to any part of the standard 3D pipeline (in this case OGL) that's accelerated. A version of psx4all with OpenGL ES 2.0 support wouldn't apply to Wiz but one with OpenGL ES 1.0 would.

The Wiz doesn't have some kind of general purpose math unit where you put inputs on registers and read back outputs. It has a floating point programmable vector unit that executes vector instructions stored in a small instruction RAM, that comes after vertex insertion in the pipeline. You could possibly abuse it to to turn it into a general purpose FPU, if it's capable of writing to somewhere aside from input to the triangle setup engine. But the time to get these values round trip would most likely be prohibitive. You'd need to be able to DMA result batches off of it back into RAM in order for it to be useful.

By hardware registers I was meaning the MMIO registers as you can find in MCU and not "software" registers of a coprocessor, and usually those addresses are not linked to a ram but to several controllers (I2S, SIO, DMAC, etc.) buses which expose their "registers" to a CPU through a memory mapping. Note that I don't really know the details about this floating point programmable vector unit so I suppose you're best informed about the fact this unit uses a small scratch pad to queue vector instructions. I was wrongly thinking it would be just a bunch of mmio registers to program a vector/matrix computation.

hlide said:
By hardware registers I was meaning the MMIO registers as you can find in MCU and not "software" registers of a coprocessor, and usually those addresses are not linked to a ram but to several controllers (I2S, SIO, DMAC, etc.) buses which expose their "registers" to a CPU through a memory mapping.

I know what you meant, and I think I made it clear that Wiz doesn't have a memory mapped math processor like the one on SNES or Nintendo DS.

If Zodttd is keeping his source closed and is only working on a pandora version he should change the name to PSX4few.

Why don't try to contact Schtruck from http://www.fpsece.net/ because is mobile psx emu is better than PSX4all.

^ Unfortunatley not :/, hopefully we'll get a port when pandora comes out.

Azerty16 said:
Why don't try to contact Schtruck from http://www.fpsece.net/ because is mobile psx emu is better than PSX4all.

I doubt it's going to be ported anywhere. It does appear to be more efficient, although still purely software rendered like psx4all.

Looks like for right now the only very usable handheld platform for PS1 that also has suitable gaming controls is PSP. Until Pandora is released, anyway.

Back