Psu Fan Mod

5465756e

I currently own a 650 watt QTEC psu. I know that most people don't like the brand (yes it's (probably) over rated) but it was not expensive and still delivers voltages well within the ATX tolerance limits. I've owned this psu for 1.5 years (still functional) now but I am starting to get irritated by the noise it generates. So my plan is to replace the 3(!) default fans with temperature controlled ones.
My question is whether this is wise? Would the new fans cool the psu sufficiently?
Please don't say buy a different psu. The psu works fine, and a new one is quite expensive.
Thanks for the feedback!

my old psu had a noisy fan i simpy replaced it with a quiet a ystech quite fan. Got a ystech fan that pushes suffiicent air and is quiet. Job done.

PSyMastR posted on Mar 12 2006 at 09:14 PM said:
650 watts?

What the hell do you need that for?

You have 25 cd/dvd rom drives or something?

It's a QTEC. a 650W QTEC is equivalent to a 300W decent make PSU. Or, as one review put it, "Capable of 50% of it's claimed power at 60% efficiency, but switched itself off when we requested 75% of the claimed power. Should be left rusting on the shelf."

I'm not going to repeat the part where they talk about the voltage rails leaping up and down by 20%, and the fact that it later tripped one of the circuit breakers...

5465756e: If you have a fairly basic system, then replacing the fans may be ok, but otherwise the PSU will most likely just overheat and shut down, and due to cheapness in the circuitry, may kill any equipment it's connected to. Is your equipment really not worth the price of a new PSU? You can get a SilverPower SP-400P1B for under £30, and that gives a solid 400W output.

Last edited by a moderator:
sam fisher posted on Mar 12 2006 at 08:49 PM said:
are you sure your not getting watts mixed up with amps? i think i have a 650 watt PSU aswell.
a 650Amp PSU now that i'd like to see

Thx all for the feedback.
Nope, I don't need 650 watt. As Squige pointed out, I am sure it doesn't deliver it either. I have a P4 2,4 with a over clocked Ti4200 graphics card and 3 hard disks. Maybe you are right and I should buy a different PSU to get rid off the noise.
Anyway, as requested here is some pic:
IMG_4275-1.jpg

My voltage rails don't leap up and down by 20% though. They are well within the ATX standard. (No I don't use my motherboard to verify that.)

Let's hunt for a new PSU!

I just use a £5 PSU... Just as good as the expensive ones ;)

Its only 250watt and it manages to power -

Mobo
2x Hard Drives
DVD Burner
DVDRom
1GB Ram
GF4 4200Ti 128mb
Sound Card
6x USB slots being used

So Far the PSU has lasted almost 2 years Which is INSANE for the ammount of stuff its doing!!!

BTW, it gets a bit hot ;)

But im just wondering if thats why Im getting Low Frame Rates in games like HL2 (Graphics card etc not getting enough power) hhhhhhhmmmmmmmmmm

this is what my Next PSU will be -

http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/specpage.html?NOV-PSU550

So far Cheap PSU's work great for me :)

5465756e posted on Mar 13 2006 at 01:01 PM said:
Thx all for the feedback.
Nope, I don't need 650 watt. As Squige pointed out, I am sure it doesn't deliver it either. I have a P4 2,4 with a over clocked Ti4200 graphics card and 3 hard disks. Maybe you are right and I should buy a different PSU to get rid off the noise.
Anyway, as requested here is some pic:
IMG_4275-1.jpg

My voltage rails don't leap up and down by 20% though. They are well within the ATX standard. (No I don't use my motherboard to verify that.)

Let's hunt for a new PSU!
http://www.zalman.co.kr//product/code_list.asp?code=015

Whoops, thats in korean.

http://www.zalman.co.kr/
then click power supplies on the left. It will be in english. I have 2 of their fans, they are really good, and super cool too.

Back