Psp, Trying One.

nubie

Recovering Jerk-A-Holic
Website
Visit site
I bought a PSP with Li-ion and a USB charger and a 1GB card, for $127 shipped.

The UMD is broken, that is it works for a little then quits, but since I want it for homebrew/PS1 games that is fine.

I know it sucks, but I have to see for myself. If they weren't everywhere and didn't have crap optical media I probably wouldn't have got one (on the other hand if the PSP didn't have an optical drive I may have been able to afford one new).

I like the idea of N64 emulator and 3D chip, so we will see. I got a MK1 for $160 with a 2GB card, so that is about the same, but I have a wifi network and I would like to see the online capabilities.

I feel that a GPX3 would handily beat the PSP if it had wifi and li-ion with a MMSP2+, but since that isn't too popular this is what it has come to.

wow thats cheap, did you get it on ebay ?

i just got a neo geo pocket colour off ebay for $12 (and $4 postage) from japan doesnt seem to have been used much and it has no scratches on the screen i was quite amazed :S

Samba Pa Ti said:
wow thats cheap, did you get it on ebay ?

i just got a neo geo pocket colour off ebay for $12 (and $4 postage) from japan doesnt seem to have been used much and it has no scratches on the screen i was quite amazed :S
Yeah, I could have gotten 2 or 3 for $80-90 but they didn't have a battery or charger or memory card bigger than 32MB.

I want to do a check out before I get a bigger memstick, prices seem to be about $50 for a 4GB on ebay right now.

Downside is these units don't have the UMD working, but I don't want to run optical media in a portable device anyway (well, not portable media I have to pay through the nose for anyway).

There is a guy on the Lumenlab trading post (forums) that is selling a Neo Geo pocket color with some games for cheap, I think $20 or so. I gave it some thought, but ultimately you would need carts for it and it doesn't have a flash cart or SD adaptor.

Last edited by a moderator:
nubie said:
Yeah, I could have gotten 2 or 3 for $80-90 but they didn't have a battery or charger or memory card bigger than 32MB.

I want to do a check out before I get a bigger memstick, prices seem to be about $50 for a 4GB on ebay right now.

Downside is these units don't have the UMD working, but I don't want to run optical media in a portable device anyway (well, not portable media I have to pay through the nose for anyway).

There is a guy on the Lumenlab trading post (forums) that is selling a Neo Geo pocket color with some games for cheap, I think $20 or so. I gave it some thought, but ultimately you would need carts for it and it doesn't have a flash cart or SD adaptor.

the flash carts and linkers are really rare (theres some mr flash cards on ebay but not many) the linker seems impossible to find and it would be expensive i think...

i thought about getting a psp but i keep going off the idea, maybe il just stick with the 2x i only play retro stuff anyway.

My best mate gave his PSP away to one of his other mates for a tube of pringles just because he couldnt find the charger :S

Sorry just thought I'd share that with you.

Lettuce Dude said:
My best mate gave his PSP away to one of his other mates for a tube of pringles just because he couldnt find the charger :S

:lol: :lol: Sounds like he had a bad case of the 'screaming blind munchies' :lol: :lol:

TelcoLou said:
Lettuce Dude said:

:lol: :lol: Sounds like he had a bad case of the 'screaming blind munchies' :lol: :lol:

Maybe his mate let him taste one. Once you pop, the fun don't stop.

Some mate! Sounds like he had his own hidden agenda :lol:

Lettuce Dude said:

I'd never do that!

Pringles are too precious...

Nova said:
I'd never do that!

. . .

Pringles are too precious...
Too true, I even asked one of the dudes on ebay what firmware and he was totally clueless as to what it was.

If they knew how to run homebrew maybe they wouldn't be selling broken optical drive PSP's on ebay.

Lettuce Dude said:

The one I am getting comes with a combo USB and charger cable, so if it came to that he should get a $5 USB charger cable for it on ebay.

I am stoked at the chance to play Youtube mobile in/around my house (read, "watch TV on the toilet"), since apparently I can use VLC to stream content to the PSP I could watch DVDs :).

It seems the headphone port is a Serial port too, so you can hook serial devices, the coolest seems to be keyboard peripheral, or use a PC to output characters to it. Also IR keyboards work with it.

sounds like a nice piece of gear... i considered getting one aswell. but since I have my gp2x, I am pretty much set, and I don't have the cash to fork over for a psp. Maybe in about a year or so when they are cheaper.

xnopasaranx said:
sounds like a nice piece of gear... i considered getting one aswell. but since I have my gp2x, I am pretty much set, and I don't have the cash to fork over for a psp. Maybe in about a year or so when they are cheaper.
Yeah, I used my credit card, technically a bad thing, but I also got a UMD drive for it for $13, so I can replace it and hopefully get firmware 3.10 OE-A on it so I can Re-sell it if it sucks. If the 3D is OK and the ghosting doesn't kill me I might stay, especially if this Sony emulator is kick-ass and really plays a lot of games.

Ri-freaking-diculous that you need a PS3 and a PSP and then need to pay $ony again for a Game you bought already. At the minimum they should ask you to pay $20 or something for a PSX game ripper that will let you convert your old games. Although nobody could probably work that either.

There are X things you want to check when buying a PSP - in order of importance.

1). What firmware is it running? If it's running the latest firmware you can't use it for homebrew. If the UMB drive is broken, you can't use it for commercial games.

2). Dead pixels on the screen. PSPs are notorious for vast fields of dead pixels. I returned mine from the place I bought it. Luckily they were willing to do so. I can't stand dead pixels, especially if they are right in the middle of screen which this one was.

3). Working analogue controller. These little babies get hammered! After all, if you buying for homebrew, you want to try Daedalus the N64 emulator and that needs a working analogue nub. The PSX emulator also benefits from this controller too.

4). Working Memory Pro slot. If this isn't working, don't bother. The failure rate on this is most likely low, but it's better to ask than be sorry.

slaanesh said:
There are X things you want to check when buying a PSP - in order of importance.

1). What firmware is it running? If it's running the latest firmware you can't use it for homebrew. If the UMB drive is broken, you can't use it for commercial games.
Judge for yourself: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=180104965094

2). Dead pixels on the screen. PSPs are notorious for vast fields of dead pixels. I returned mine from the place I bought it. Luckily they were willing to do so. I can't stand dead pixels, especially if they are right in the middle of screen which this one was.
Good point, I am being spoiled with a MK1 screen right now, would suck to get stuck with a cra'PSPy screen. The MK1 is better when it isn't "interlacing", and whatever my 2.1.1 firmware is set on for the LCD it is doing fine.

3). Working analogue controller. These little babies get hammered! After all, if you buying for homebrew, you want to try Daedalus the N64 emulator and that needs a working analogue nub. The PSX emulator also benefits from this controller too.
Worse comes to worse: http://secure.llamma.com/catalog/product_i...products_id=388

And I have d-padded N64 before, it ain't pretty, but it works.

4). Working Memory Pro slot. If this isn't working, don't bother. The failure rate on this is most likely low, but it's better to ask than be sorry.

Ack, that is something that could screw me. Ach, ya gets what ya gets, at least it is better than the Gamestop refurbished units at $190, probably cleaner too.

I had to fix my PSP after the analog stick broke... cost about £20 for some new nubs, a new assembly and a new faceplate on ebay.

Nova said:
Umm...

Cute, but if I put 3.10 OE firmware on it I can get a good price because it will be homebrew enabled, AKA loads PSX Isos, that is worth at least what I payed for it.

$127 + $13 = $140

$170 is still $30 more than I spent and I get a 1GB Pro duo card with it, I think I did just fine.

Goity said:
I had to fix my PSP after the analog stick broke... cost about £20 for some new nubs, a new assembly and a new faceplate on ebay.
I posted above, the new stick assembly is $30, why did you need a new nub and faceplate?

nubie said:
Nova said:
Umm...

Cute, but if I put 3.10 OE firmware on it I can get a good price because it will be homebrew enabled, AKA loads PSX Isos, that is worth at least what I payed for it.

$127 + $13 = $140

$170 is still $30 more than I spent and I get a 1GB Pro duo card with it, I think I did just fine.

Goity said:
I posted above, the new stick assembly is $30, why did you need a new nub and faceplate?

I'd lost the nub and was using a crappy replacement, and I scratched the faceplate very badly on a plug.

nubie said:
you did good considering its guaranteed to be able to do homebrew, thats the only problems with new ones imo, old psp's (with the right firmware) should be worth more than a new one really...

Back