Psp - Put Your Face (or Whatever) In The Game...?

Kop_007

Istanbul Red
Have been reading a few things about some of the PSP launch titles, and came across this in regards to Tony Hawks:

Face in the Game: Use the SCEA Memory Stick Duo to customize your own skater.

Can you tell us more about this Bast? I hadn't heard of anything like this being in a PSP game yet....

Tell us more.

If this is true, it's absolutely boss.

I also read you'll be able to play your own Mp3s in certain games - I think Fifa was one of them strangely enough.

Yep you can import your face into the Create-a-Skater mode in THUG 2.

You need a digital camera or some way of getting a good pic of your face onto your memory stick first though. Then you need to convert/crop the pic and get it down to 180x180 pixels JPEG format, and throw it into the Photo folder on your memory stick. Then in game you can access that folder, take the pic and put it as the face for your create-a-skater... it's a bit of a pain to do, getting the face lined up or 'molded' just right onto the polygon head, but once you do the results are pretty nice, and then you are 'in' the game.

A very sweet feature for those who can take advantage of it.

Haven't heard anything about using your own soundtracks in games but why not? Lord knows you can fit a LOT of music onto the larger memory sticks... and I know some people go cuckoo with this feature on their Xbox's.

Nice one Bast. Near instant reply there.

I've never owned a Tony Hawks game but have played them loads of it at Friend's house and loved them.

How's the create a skater in general?

Cant see the resizing being much of a problem. Once it's on it's on.

I think I'll order this as well.

VideoGames+ better send out stuff quick. I'm dying here.

Kop_007 posted on Mar 21 2005 at 03:40 PM said:
How's the create a skater in general?

In what sense? I mean it's functional... there's a TON of stuff you can customize your character with... more than TH 3 which was the last TH I owned... the only downsides are that a) I can't seem to make the color black, for clothing... I tried to make a black t-shirt using the three color sliders but the best I can come up with is a dark blue, B) the head selection is very limited, also the hairstyle selection and facial hair selection, which is odd considering the huge range of stuff to choose from in the other categories.

I dunno I mean it's pretty deep all the stuff you can do so I guess it's great to have in there especially since you can put your own face... but it does seem to be missing some things.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to make a black t-shirt using the three color sliders but the best I can come up with is a dark blue,  the head selection is very limited, also the hairstyle selection and facial hair selection, which is odd considering the huge range of stuff to choose from in the other categories.
I can't make black either in the GCN Version for some reason they made the sliders a little different (I could easily get black in THPS4 and THUG1)

I plan on getting this game and a psp as soon as I have the money (just spent a couple hundred $$ buying an mp3 player.. completley forgot that the PSP was launching here soon <_< )

also Bast, just wondering but when you make a T-Shirts color darker does it change the logo as well? I didn't like that it does that in the GCN version, but the PS2 version doesn't do that....

EDIT: Is Create - a - Park in it? I read somewhere that it wasn't.. :(

Thanks Bast, the create a character souund ok to good.

It sounds like you're describing the create a wrestler in Raw 2 - it had stupid things like being able to select 50 differnet ties but only 6 haircuts.

I have a character that I make in all games, just hope I can make him.

Dont know if to get it from VideoGame+ or spend a bit extra and get it from eBay....or maybe GBAx.

tek - I am not sure but I dont think the logo changes color... actually I was lookign for an option to change the color of the logo, as when I made the shirt very dark blue, most of the logos are in black, and are very hard to see on the shirt. See it's stupid little stuff like that that I'm griping about in the create-a-skater in this game... and yeah the new sliders they use to change colors are stupid... I think they used to use three sliders, one for each primary color (red blue and green) now there is just one slider for color, one for saturation, and one for brightness I think? really stupid, the other way worked WAY better.

...shirt very dark blue, most of the logos are in black...
that might be what I'm talking about.. I'll have to get it and find out! :lol:

anyway does anyone know off any pictures of the face importing thing?

and IS THERE A CREATE A PARK MODE??? that's all I play the GCN version for now..

dammit I cant wait untill I get a Job and I will have a PSP

Hurry up and reply to me employer person :p

You know, now that you mention it, I think the create a park mode is missing :( that sux as it was one of my favorite features as well. Kinda odd since you could obviously fit all kinds of custom parks onto even the 32MB stock memory card.

I think there are some pics of create a skaters rolling around with peoples faces on them... lord knows it's only a matter of time before you see some with various *other* parts of the body pasted on them.

oh well I'll be getting it but thats what I would have used it for most..

It would have been great to because you could easily share parks with others over the internet.. like on the pc versions

yeah for real... that does suck pretty bad that they didn't include it...

I decided I'm not getting tony hawk...just too burnt out on it. Also MGA got such a dodgy review I'm going to buy something else instead.

game reviewers are really weird... they'll give a game such great previews... everything I've seen on Metal Gear Acid up until now was positive, but now I keep hearing that it got only so-so reviews. WTF? I see this happen so many times... you end up really looking forward to a game because of all the great previews then see this horrible review and get totally let down. Well, I've said it a dozen times... MGA *IS* a great game, this is coming from someone who a)doesn't generally like strategy games, and B) doesn't generally like card kinda games. I would easily recommend this game to just about anyone. Well as long as you're not looking for a fast action/stealth game.

gamespot aren't releasing their review until tomorow... can someone please point me towards some of these other reviews? I want to read waht they have to say...

By the way I finally beat Spiderman :) yeah it is pretty short, maybe 4 or 5 hours for me on Hard. But it was good while it lasted... not worth $50 though. This shoulda been one of the $40 ones. Very fun though and actually better than either of the console versions in a few ways.

bast525 posted on Mar 23 2005 at 09:49 AM said:
game reviewers are really weird... they'll give a game such great previews... everything I've seen on Metal Gear Acid up until now was positive, but now I keep hearing that it got only so-so reviews. WTF? I see this happen so many times... you end up really looking forward to a game because of all the great previews then see this horrible review and get totally let down. Well, I've said it a dozen times... MGA *IS* a great game, this is coming from someone who a)doesn't generally like strategy games, and B) doesn't generally like card kinda games. I would easily recommend this game to just about anyone. Well as long as you're not looking for a fast action/stealth game.

gamespot aren't releasing their review until tomorow... can someone please point me towards some of these other reviews? I want to read waht they have to say...

By the way I finally beat Spiderman :) yeah it is pretty short, maybe 4 or 5 hours for me on Hard. But it was good while it lasted... not worth $50 though. This shoulda been one of the $40 ones. Very fun though and actually better than either of the console versions in a few ways.

Hey Bast here's the IGN review.....pretty crappy score. I still might get it, I dont know it is really wierd that World tour soccer got more. Can it be that bad? Their previews were so positive. I must admit though, WTF did they leave the voice acting out????? Maybe I'll get it.....I'm so confused :blink:

yeah I knew spiderman wasn't worth it. Wanna sell it? :p :lol:

Sounds to me like his bad review is based more on the sucky multiplayer than anything... like if they had just left multiplayer out (as in the japanese version) it would have gottena much better score:

divided the office whether this game was brilliant but sluggish or just clumsy and sluggish. Then we played Link Battle, and it became painfully clear, even to the diehards.

well the one part I agree with is the gameplay is definately not fast :p so what? it's not supposed to be... it's a strategy game. I'm definately with the "brilliant but sluggish" crowd. Are there other reviews out there on the net? I think this guy was just too biased to begin with... this is why I miss the way certain magazines like EGM do things... whey they would always have 3-4 people review EVERY game, so you'd get different points of view.

At least he agreed with me on the replay value:

There are lots of stages, and unlike other Metal Gear games, you can play each area again for a perfect stealth score. If you can get into this game, you may be playing it for a while.

Well... that's too bad... a lot of people will read that review and end up missing out on a great game... but it goes to show this much: This game is NOT for everyone... turn based card based combat is definately a niche.

kotd - well tommorow night I'm going to bring some games with me when I go to pick up my new PSP from Gamestop... I was actually going to try to sell some of my games to some of the guys there while I was in line. Haven't decided if i want to sell Spiderman just yet, but if I do, and no one buys it tomorow, I'll let you know.

bast525 posted on Mar 23 2005 at 11:19 AM said:
Sounds to me like his bad review is based more on the sucky multiplayer than anything... like if they had just left multiplayer out (as in the japanese version) it would have gottena  much better score:

divided the office whether this game was brilliant but sluggish or just clumsy and sluggish. Then we played Link Battle, and it became painfully clear, even to the diehards.

well the one part I agree with is the gameplay is definately not fast :p so what? it's not supposed to be... it's a strategy game. I'm definately with the "brilliant but sluggish" crowd. Are there other reviews out there on the net? I think this guy was just too biased to begin with... this is why I miss the way certain magazines like EGM do things... whey they would always have 3-4 people review EVERY game, so you'd get different points of view.

At least he agreed with me on the replay value:

There are lots of stages, and unlike other Metal Gear games, you can play each area again for a perfect stealth score. If you can get into this game, you may be playing it for a while.

Well... that's too bad... a lot of people will read that review and end up missing out on a great game... but it goes to show this much: This game is NOT for everyone... turn based card based combat is definately a niche.

kotd - well tommorow night I'm going to bring some games with me when I go to pick up my new PSP from Gamestop... I was actually going to try to sell some of my games to some of the guys there while I was in line. Haven't decided if i want to sell Spiderman just yet, but if I do, and no one buys it tomorow, I'll let you know.

Cheers Bast. Ok I'll get MGA, I'm into niche games, stuff the review :p. Is it possible if I buy a game from you, you could also get me some retail games? I'd give extra cash for your trouble. Also a PSP maybe? LOL The import store upped their price 3 times to double the retail and I haven't been able to get in touch with my contact/friend in Canada "cries", so I'm PSP less at the moment :( :( :(

Videogamesplus.ca

They're doing the business for me so far.

Ordered 3 games (1 yesterday).

They shipped Twisted Metal the other day.

Still waiting on Tiger Woods. Hoping it will be shipped out today.

Tony Hawk's has changed to processing (orders it about 3am last night).

I reckon it will take 5-7 days once they're sent to get here based on past experiences.

I dont reckon I'll get charged any tax either. Never do with regular airmail from Canada.

CANT WAIT.

Back