Release psp emulator

First things first. If you want to port a decent PSP emulator to the Pandora, you first need a decent PSP emulator to port from. Since the few PSP emulator projects that exist are nowhere near ready for prime time, we're pretty much SoL on that front.

Even if a solid PSP emulator did exist, it is highly unlikely that it could be made to run fast enough to be playable on the Pandora. The Pandora is more powerful than a PSP on paper, but to emulate a system you need a machine that is many times more powerful. Do not expect a playable PSP emulator for the Pandora.

i don't know much(if i know anything) about coding and emulators other than personal experience of using them. so i may be entirely incorrect, you all are free to correct me.
i wonder. if the devs use the graphics chip to do all of the rendering(if it is powerful enough) and clock the p&|a to 900mhz can we have 50% speed? or am i completely incorrect?

zoppe said:
i don't know much(if i know anything) about coding and emulators other than personal experience of using them. so i may be entirely incorrect, you all are free to correct me.
i wonder. if the devs use the graphics chip to do all of the rendering(if it is powerful enough) and clock the p&|a to 900mhz can we have 50% speed? or am i completely incorrect?

do you have a 'formula' for this? or is it just speculation, cause I don't see how knowledge of emulation would come into play.

im not a master in pandora-fu but i just wanted to say that i check the forums daily for updates and new info, but am basically finding postings like this, over and over again.

with that in mind, on another forum when i ran into the same problem of answering things that have been answered before (and was knowledgeable of the navigation to that forum) i created a list of all the places people COULD go to find these exact answers (the wiki perhaps?), and instructions on how to use the forum search as well.
perhaps just being able to copy and paste the easy to follow instructions to these repetitive questions would be the best answer, saving yourself the explanation again and again.

please forgive me if i sound rude or abrupt, keep flaming to a minimal if you must :p
ok, im done now
really

I think the only thing capable of being emulated here is a subset of LuaPlayer apps (which are mostly demos and rubbish anyway). The PC emulator can't even play most C/C++ homebrew anyway so this sounds hopeless.

What I considered doing is eventually adding a LuaPlayer API compatibility wrapper to a Pandora Lua interpreter I am currently developing. The PSP screen is 480x272 (iirc) and that will easily fit in Pandora's screen, so the sprites can be all rendered correctly at the right location. My Lua interpreter is mostly just a low level wrapper around SDL libs (and eventually gl es) so it should be simple. (My interpreter only runs on PC now but should compile on Pandora without a single source modification when the time comes.)

I don't want a PSP emulator (or a DS emulator for that matter).
I have a both PSP and a DS and these seem to be perfectly adequate for playing their respective games on. <_<

Mqark said:
I have a both PSP and a DS and these seem to be perfectly adequate for playing their respective games on. <_<
thats nice, but you don't speak for everyone else.

PoisonedV said:
Mqark said:

And neither, do you.

You're not God, and I'm not yet convinced that you're the authority on Emulation, Pandora or Gaming in general, past or present, so stop lording it over people.
We don't have to prove ourselves to you and no-one is asking for your recognition or respect. To me, you are just another faceless person on a forum. I suspect that I am the same or less to you, frankly I really don't care.

And where in your head does the sentence "I don't want a PSP emulator (or a DS emulator for that matter)" get mangled into "Nobody wants a PSP emulator (or a DS emulator for that matter)"?

Mqark said:
PoisonedV said:
Mqark said:

And neither, do you.

You're not God, and I'm not yet convinced that you're the authority on Emulation, Pandora or Gaming in general, past or present, so stop lording it over people.
We don't have to prove ourselves to you and no-one is asking for your recognition or respect. To me, you are just another faceless person on a forum. I suspect that I am the same or less to you, frankly I really don't care.

And where in your head does the sentence "I don't want a PSP emulator (or a DS emulator for that matter)" get mangled into "Nobody wants a PSP emulator (or a DS emulator for that matter)"?

Just ignore him, he takes every fight just for the sake of it. Don't do him this favor :wink:

ok i also have a DS and PSP but i would like an emulator on the Pandora first to see if its possible, and second to keep everything onto just one device.

But aside from that, lets keep the fighting down please. Would it be possible ..actually more like plausible to extract the game (or homebrew) onto your harddrive. and then edit the game to run on the Pandora without the use of an emulator? :|

meaning that way the game is ...idk...rewritten into a style that the pandora can read as if it were its own, and have everything work? sorry if im not communicating clearly

Blessedcurse said:
ok i also have a DS and PSP but i would like an emulator on the Pandora first to see if its possible, and second to keep everything onto just one device.

But aside from that, lets keep the fighting down please. Would it be possible ..actually more like plausible to extract the game (or homebrew) onto your harddrive. and then edit the game to run on the Pandora without the use of an emulator? :|

meaning that way the game is ...idk...rewritten into a style that the pandora can read as if it were its own, and have everything work? sorry if im not communicating clearly

If the sourcode for the game is available, it is possible to port it to Pandora.

Mqark said:
PoisonedV said:
Mqark said:

And neither, do you.

You're not God,
and thats where you are wrong

MonkeyChops said:
Although all hope is not lost. Hlide said he may take a crack at it awhile back.
http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=10364
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=38155&st=3750&p=567540&#entry567540

I wonder if he's still considering it.

I did order a Pandora... through PayPal. I'm still waiting for an alternative payment.

Back to psp emulation.

I guess we could say I'm still on it. I decided to participate on JPCSP, a PSP emulator in Java so I can measure out the difficulty to have a psp emulator running commercial games. Depending on the success on JPCSP, I may considerate a C/C++ version on Pandora. Do not expect for JPCSP to run on Pandora :).

My assumptions are the following :

- Pandora can issue two instructions per cycle; it would be great to have a smart recompiler able to reorder the dynarec in such a way to make this dual issue as much as possible. I'll give you some examples later.
- Pandora can issue one instruction coalescing several PSP instructions. See the examples later.
- Pandora has probably better caches than PSP has.
- Pandora has some hardware accelerations as branch prediction, return stack which may make the control flows fluider. PSP has nothing like those.
- Pandora has NEON which seems to be more friendly than SSE to emulate FPU and VFPU.

Here are some examples what a smart recompiler can do :

1) "r0 = (Cx<<16)|Cy; r1 = (Cz<<16)|Cw;" where Cx, Cy, Cz, Cw are constants in 16-bit
Code:
1: LUI r0, Cx "r0 = Cx<<16;"
2: ORI r0, Cy "r0 |= Cy;"
3: LUI r1, Cz "r1 = Cz<<16;"
4: ORI r1, Cw "r0 |= Cw;"

total : 4 cycles.
can give us for Pandora
Code:
1: MOVW r0, Cy "r0 = Cy;" 
1: MOVW r1, Cw "r1 = Cw;"
2: MOVT r0, Cx "r0[31..16] = Cx;" 
2: MOVT r1, Cz "r1[31..16] = Cz;" 

total : 2 cycles.

2) "r0 = (r1 << 2); r0 = r2 + r0; r3 = *((int *)r0);"
Code:
1  : SLL r0, r1, 2 "r0 = r1 << 2;"
2  : ADDU r0, r2, r0 "r0 = r2 + r0;"
3+n: LW r3, 0(r0) "r3 = *((int *)r0);"

total : 3+n cycles.
can give us for Pandora
Code:
1  : ADD r0, r2, r1 LSL #2 "r0 = r2 + (r1<<2);" 
1+n: LDR r3, [r2, +r1 LSL #2] "r3 = *((int *)(r2 + (r1<<2)));" 
total : 1+n cycles.

so with a smart recompiler and the higher frequency of Pandora and a accurate HLE emulation, i hope we can emulate a playable PSP on Pandora.

In my opinion, this project may take very long because Sony has a ton of API that we may need to emulate to have a commercial game to run. And honestly I don't think this project can be done by only one person.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back