Has Anyone Repaired A Lcd Backlight & Does Bl Determine Viewable A

second exodous

Advanced Member
I was wondering if anyone had ever repaired the back-light on a larger LCD, 24", before. I noticed that some games were a little dark and didn't think much of it because they were dark games and then watched a movie that I watched when my monitor was new and I know my monitor is getting darker. I only notice it for dark movies/games for now but I'm sure it will get worse.

I always thought I would make a DIY projector with my first burnt out LCD but unfortunately it's my 24 incher, a little impractical to use it for that.

Also, the viewable angle on this monitor is not the best, it has to be on eye level or slightly lower, does the back light determine the viewable angle? I'm kinda doubting it, but one could hope with a burnt out LCD.

One other thing I was thinking of if I can't find parts and a projector is out of the question is build it into a mame cabinet or a Mame cocktail table because I would have plenty of room in a cabinet to make a back-light.

It is 1080p resolution btw, 1920x1080, and wow, PS3 looked really great on it, but now it's getting dim and am wondering if I should fix it, make it into some sort of project, or as a last resort scrap it. It is just one month out of warranty also, which sucks.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I'm not going to do any projects with it right now, I'm using it for my computer monitor although it's gaming days might be numbered, it is a little dark, and unfortunately I like dark games. Web browsing it's fine though. If I do do a project with it like a Mame cabinet or a projector(if there is any way to make a projector) I might pray that it holds out until a ARM board capable of 1080p comes out, which might be two years. I have my fingers crossed.

second exodous said:
I was wondering if anyone had ever repaired the back-light on a larger LCD, 24", before. I noticed that some games were a little dark and didn't think much of it because they were dark games and then watched a movie that I watched when my monitor was new and I know my monitor is getting darker. I only notice it for dark movies/games for now but I'm sure it will get worse.

I always thought I would make a DIY projector with my first burnt out LCD but unfortunately it's my 24 incher, a little impractical to use it for that.

Also, the viewable angle on this monitor is not the best, it has to be on eye level or slightly lower, does the back light determine the viewable angle? I'm kinda doubting it, but one could hope with a burnt out LCD.

One other thing I was thinking of if I can't find parts and a projector is out of the question is build it into a mame cabinet or a Mame cocktail table because I would have plenty of room in a cabinet to make a back-light.

It is 1080p resolution btw, 1920x1080, and wow, PS3 looked really great on it, but now it's getting dim and am wondering if I should fix it, make it into some sort of project, or as a last resort scrap it. It is just one month out of warranty also, which sucks.

Any ideas?

EDIT: I'm not going to do any projects with it right now, I'm using it for my computer monitor although it's gaming days might be numbered, it is a little dark, and unfortunately I like dark games. Web browsing it's fine though. If I do do a project with it like a Mame cabinet or a projector(if there is any way to make a projector) I might pray that it holds out until a ARM board capable of 1080p comes out, which might be two years. I have my fingers crossed.
There is only be two things that can be wrong
1 backlight tube supply is not putting out the right voltage, to low voltage
2 backlight tube failing
Replacement only fix

Last edited by a moderator:
RedBaron said:
1 backlight tube supply is not putting out the right voltage, to low voltage
I read something about this when I searched, this one sounds like the easiest fix.

RedBaron said:
2 backlight tube failing
From what I read this problem sounds like it's a pain to get replacement parts for so if I can't find parts for my monitor I'll have to do a project with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back