Ps2, Xbox & Gc Wireless Controllers?

satanic virus

Website
Visit site
Looking for wireless controllers for XBOX, PS2 & GC. Ideally would like either AA batteries or built in rechargeable. Also, signal must 'travel through' some furniture so anything which does not need 'line of sight' is needed.

Loads of choice on ebay but some don't mention how they are powered or whether they need a direct line of sight or not. Any links/ names or suggestions appreciated :) Thanks.

I can't speak for the PS2 and GC models, but Logitech's wireless Xbox controllers are great. Long battery life, good range, and excellent response. Built just as solid as the original Xbox controllers, too.

There were two versions - The original version took four AA batteries and the newer version only took 2. I've owned both, and there doesn't seem to be much difference between them besides the number of batteries. If anything, the 2 battery version might even last longer.

I'll second the Logitech, except I own a PS2 version. It's excellent. You should be able to find it for relatively cheap nowadays. I even saw a traded one at gamestop that counted as a 3rd party controller, so it was on sale for 4.99 :D

Nintendo do their own official wireless pads, the wavebird. theyre absolutely superb, I use one with my wii and it really is first class. Reported to have 100 hours of battery life from a single pair of AA's

The Wavebird was amazing, if a little chunky.

XBox 360 and Nintendo WaveBird wireless controllers are both excellent and battery life is great. Be aware though that WaveBird doesn't have rumble feature.

Am I the only one who finds any controller other than the one put out by the actual company to be of very poor quality and design?

Non ergonomic (hand cramps or blisters), poor quality plastic, buttons that are unresponsive and quickly wear into a wiggly state, won't register or will false register when you aren't pressing them.

All I can figure is that the OEM will spend millions developing and testing the controller, and then use higher quality materials bought in bulk because they are making more of them than anyone else.

Just curious. The only way I can see using a non brand wireless is if I pulled the guts to put in the original controller.

I am sure others must feel the same way because the OEMs are now making wireless controllers standard.

I guess for very very light casual gaming wireless is OK, but the OEM stuff is better for a reason.

Also out of curiosity, why do you want a wireless controller?

nubie said:
Am I the only one who finds any controller other than the one put out by the actual company to be of very poor quality and design?

Non ergonomic (hand cramps or blisters), poor quality plastic, buttons that are unresponsive and quickly wear into a wiggly state, won't register or will false register when you aren't pressing them.

All I can figure is that the OEM will spend millions developing and testing the controller, and then use higher quality materials bought in bulk because they are making more of them than anyone else.

Just curious. The only way I can see using a non brand wireless is if I pulled the guts to put in the original controller.

I am sure others must feel the same way because the OEMs are now making wireless controllers standard.

I guess for very very light casual gaming wireless is OK, but the OEM stuff is better for a reason.

Mostly, yes, I agree. One of the few exceptions is logitech, though. They're really a fantastic electronic company.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't even bother looking at an unofficial controller. I've yet to find any that are comparable to official ones for weight, balance, feel, comfort or longevity.

I'll agree that logitech's controllers, specifically the Xbox one as that's the one I've used most, are excellent and I found them in some cases to be much better than the official ones. GC wise the best one to go for is the Wavebird and yes it's clunky but it's by far the best one available.

As for third party controllers, I've had several over the years. With my GC, I was giving a third party controller when it was released and it was truly awful. The shape, the ergonomics, everything was just wrong about it. I only ever buy or use thr first party ones now with the very odd exception.

daclassicgamingmaster said:
Mostly, yes, I agree. One of the few exceptions is logitech, though. They're really a fantastic electronic company.

Meh, they are better than nothing, and they make OK computer mice.

nubie said:
I am putting these 3 consoles in the bedroom (with a 3 way scart switcher). I have a SuperKing size bed and the 'foot board' is four foot tall. I want wireless so I don't have wires all over the place and also so I don't have to sit halfway down the bed to play some games!

I have 360 & DC in the living room and want to have the other three consoles in the bedroom to revisit some 'last generation' games before sleeping!

Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone. I think I'll look for Logitech controllers for XBOX & PS2 and Wavebird for GC.

nubie said:

Clearly you've never actually used a Logitech wireless Xbox controller. They're every bit as durable and responsive as the OEM controllers.

Just to help the search:

1st edition 4xAA
logitech1.jpg

2nd edition 2xAA
41HE7TK1QDL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Reviews: 1 2 3

Logitech controllers are definitely the way to go. I like them more than the first-party varieties. However, the dpad for the PS2 version is a little bad. Other than that, it's nice. And Wavebird is the way to go with Gamecube.

Amazon has them used for about $11. I'm pretty sure Logitech doesn't make them any more, but some shops still seem to have some NOS units if you want to pay a 5x markup for one new in a box.

I for one have a logitech xbox controller (1st gen) and its nice, button wise. I just dont like the ergonomics of it, the back "bends" way too much for my tastes. And the Wireless adapter cable was a pain.
But the wavebird is awesome, the batteries last muuch longer than any other wireless controller i have ever owned.

Chip said:
nubie said:

Clearly you've never actually used a Logitech wireless Xbox controller. They're every bit as durable and responsive as the OEM controllers.

For $11 I can't argue with you on the price, and the durability of Logitech isn't in question, they know better.

As for the ergonomics, I haven't used one, but already someone in this thread has mentioned a problem. I will give you that anything is more comfortable than a regular Xbox controller, so I guess that is a win. (I have a Pelican S-Type clone and a couple alien motherships, so don't tell me about the s-type).

If it can be gutted and stuffed into a PSX controller I am all for it. The receiver should show up as a standard USB HID correct? That would be neat.

Back