Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver

Gein07

Ok, forgive me if this has been mentioned before, but I searched the forums and saw no mention of it.

31%2BfcDWCnuL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

So, I have a Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Gaming Receiver that I use for all my emulators on PC. It lets me hook up a bunch of controllers for 4 player action with the least amount of headache. Ideally I'd like to use this badboy on my Pandora as well. (with TV out cables and 4 controllers it could be just like being in the arcades again.) Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an official linux driver for this right now.

After some additional digging, I located this thread that makes it seem possible to run this under linux. Admittedly, I know next to nothing about getting things to run properly in Linux. Any of you think this is a possibility for the Panda at some point down the road, or would a usb hub and 4 usb controllers be the optimal/ugliest solution?

Thanks peeps!

All wired 360 controllers are USB and work on the PC.

"Despite the Wireless Gaming Receiver being branded as “For Windows”, it is fairly easy to get working quite well under Linux." - This makes me think it could happen, and reading the threads it seems to be a hacked up (and open) driver built for OSX and Linux. Very possibly may work. IIRC receiver software for the PC could have used work, and the product is currently discontinued.

Shaun. said:
What about those usb Xbox 360 controllers that work for PC?

I have one of those too, but they are no longer manufactured and also it defeats the benefits of the wireless receiver. Basically everyone has a bunch of wireless 360 controllers hanging about which means I don't have to lug 4 around with me, its one of the most comfortable controllers around, and the fact that its wireless means extreme comfort and ease of setup when I want to take this on the road and still get in some 4 player Panda action.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gein07 said:
Shaun. said:

I have one of those too, but they are no longer manufactured and also it defeats the benefits of the wireless receiver. Basically everyone has a bunch of wireless 360 controllers hanging about which means I don't have to lug 4 around with me, its one of the most comfortable controllers around, and the fact that its wireless means extreme comfort and ease of setup when I want to take this on the road and still get in some 4 player Panda action.

The receiver itself is discontinued: http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Wireless-Gaming-Receiver-Windows-Pc/dp/B000HZFCT2
But they still sell it with a wireless controller in a kit http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox-Wireless-Controller-Windows-pc/dp/B000KA5T6A/ref=dp_cp_ob_vg_title_1
And despite being labeled 'For Windows' ALL official wired 360 controllers http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Controller-Windows/dp/B000BT4CF4/ref=pd_sim_vg_5_img - Work on PC.

And yes, the driver could very well work (with some work) but it isn't happening until users have Pandoras in their hands.

Gein07 said:
Shaun. said:

This is a good idea. The only thing that I noticed to be an issue with the Xbox360 controller is the D-Pad. It's horrible. I use my Xbox360 controller (USB) on my PC to play my emulators also and sometimes the dpad just doesn't seem responsive and I end up hitting up or down while playing something like Super Mario World. But if I use my Playstation to USB adapter the dpad is better and I don't hit up and down while playing games.

@dasfool

I've tried the fixes. It really doesn't help. There is just a fundamental problem with the 360's Dpad. What's funny is the original Xbox S Controller has a superior Dpad. They fixed the white/black button's by including the bumpers, but messed up the dpad somehow.

I want to use one as well and I wasn't worried about it since there is a working driver for linux it is just a matter of recompiling and getting it working... I am certain if I can't do it I know someone who can but I have done enough compiling knock on wood. I am looking forward to it...

Showing up with that dongle and a tv cable, instant 4 player madness :)

Well, I just ordered one off of Amazon (it's currently only 40 dollars, and I had a 10 dollar credit towards a video game purchase, so I got it for 30, which is an AMAZING deal), and when my Pandora arrives, I'll make sure to try to get it working.

Vorporeal said:
Well, I just ordered one off of Amazon (it's currently only 40 dollars, and I had a 10 dollar credit towards a video game purchase, so I got it for 30, which is an AMAZING deal), and when my Pandora arrives, I'll make sure to try to get it working.

Instead of a Microsoft Controller you could try this Hori XBox Pad also available from Amazon soon. Hori controllers have fantastic D-pads and should work on any OS the M$ one does.

rmm21 said:
Vorporeal said:

Instead of a Microsoft Controller you could try this Hori XBox Pad also available from Amazon soon. Hori controllers have fantastic D-pads and should work on any OS the M$ one does.

It seems to have flat face buttons, which I really dislike (I've got a Gamestop controller with those, and they're really not as comfortable for my thumb as the rounded ones on the Microsoft controller), and I find the Microsoft controller to be quite comfortable. It's interesting though - the 6 button layout looks great for fighting games, and the addition of analog sensitivity and turbo speed sliders on the controller is very cool.

Vorporeal said:
when my Pandora arrives, I'll make sure to try to get it working.

Good man, never even thought about the possibility of using my wireless box pad.

Wonder which will be the best joystick for Pandora out of the big 3, wii, PS3, or XBox360.

My guess would be the wii , using the classic controller.

Vorporeal said:

That's awesome. This adapter seriously makes local multiplayer a breeze for emulation, and for a portable system like the pandora its a match made in heaven if we (i.e. you) can get it to work. Just imagine the horror of a 4 player multiplayer gaming session gone wrong when someone runs in front of the tv and snags the cables strung from wired usb controllers to the pandora. After having waited so long for the console I think I would have a heart attack if that happened.

Back