Ps1 Why Not N64

Blah said:
Megahertz means nothing, Wewzee.
lol @ wewzee :p

...and I totally agree!
also I disagree on the "a system must be 8x faster than the emulated system" crap.
By todays standards, hardware (and software) is alot more efficient than it used to be.
the question is, can people be bothered to code efficiently to emulate unefficient [reminder] by todays standards [/reminder] hardware??
A: No

If you want a n64 emulator so badly that you don't mind your GP2x running ninty games at < 4fps please be our guest at making a proof of conscept emulator. If you don't know how to code... I suggest http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/16/l64-red...able-n64-style/
Actually, that'd go nice with my F200 B)

On the note of defending the DS... it has way more advantages over the PSP... but thats for an etirely different thread

Last edited by a moderator:

Whoa, i've been missing out on the DS scene!
There's fullspeed GBA emulators now!?

Is this sarcasm? :unsure:

Why would you need a GBA emulator on a DS when it has a GBA slot??? - or am I forgetting that it's the thrill of coding?

If you want a n64 emulator so badly that you don't mind your GP2x running ninty games at < 4fps please be our guest at making a proof of conscept emulator. If you don't know how to code... I suggest http://www.engadget.com/2006/06/16/l64-red...able-n64-style/

This reminds me of the Sega Nomad!

SegaNomad.jpg

:D

Yeah, I'm defending the DS - but price and size do contribute to the power Nintendo could have put in. (Oh, and I missed battery life)

Why would you need a GBA emulator on a DS when it has a GBA slot??? - or am I forgetting that it's the thrill of coding?

Slot-1 cards are a lot more widely available and a lot more "plug and play" than slot-2, to run DS homebrew on a slot-2 card you need a passme or nopass device in slot-1 (unless you flash it, then you only need it once). Also, slot-2 could be reserved for an addon card like the rumble pack or opera ram - and nobody likes cart-swapping. A lot of the slot-2 cards stick out of the DS too. Oh and can't forget to mention the supercard rumble series (slot-2) which can't run GBA stuff at all (and other cards which could only run GBA multiboot files).

anyone asking for Slot 1 GBA emulators

I don't remember flaming as such and I created such a thread...

edit--
really going offtopic, I'm going to stop posting in this thread now...

You guys talking about fullspeed GBA emulators for DS (slot 1) are on crack.

And the next person who talks about how much power something does or doesn't need to emulate something else needs to go actually write an emulator. Wezwee, you're especially full of crap with your comments about people just not bothering to emulate "unefficient hardware" ~_~

The DS has all the GBA hardware inside, including the same ARM7 proccessor and a hell of a lot more RAM than the GBA. I think it's a pretty fair question if you don't understand how it all works (which I don't).

I thought the reason the DS had crap 3D graphics was because the DS didn't actually have 'proper' hardware 3D, just hardware geometry processing/rasterizing with very basic texture support. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't code on NDS.

Squidge said:
I thought the reason the DS had crap 3D graphics was because the DS didn't actually have 'proper' hardware 3D, just hardware geometry processing/rasterizing with very basic texture support. Maybe I'm wrong, I don't code on NDS.
even if that's wrong, that's what it "looks" like to me...old 3d :)

thing is, that's not what bugs me about the DS's quality of 3d gfx. it's the fact that the resolution is pretty low, and you're looking at it up close, so everything is very aliased and jagged. also, the screens themselves are so small that the illusion that you are looking into a 3d scene just isn't there. psp and gp2x pull it off a bit better but generally if i play any 3d stuff i like to see it on a tv screen.

so i think even if it had hardware acceleration for all sort of crazy lights and texture maps, bump maps, you-name-it, it'd just be a waste because the amount of detail is limited by the screen size & resolution. it'll all get lost in the jaggies :D

don't get me wrong, i still like DS...can't wait to see some quake (original) on pandora though.

Echomote said:

The DS has all the GBA hardware inside, including the same ARM7 proccessor and a hell of a lot more RAM than the GBA. I think it's a pretty fair question if you don't understand how it all works (which I don't).
The guy wasn't on crack because he thought it was possible, it was because he thought someone actually did it. You seemed to be going along with it.

Can someone please make a Nintendo64 sticky thread with links to previous conversations on this topic ??

Then people won't have to keep answering the question over and over again !

Thanks guys I think I finally get it :huh: :blink:

And to make it up to you all... I think I'll start a new post which you guys should like :D

HackModford said:
Thanks guys I think I finally get it :huh: :blink:

And to make it up to you all... I think I'll start a new post which you guys should like :D
Are you talking about the dumb post you just made in the wrong forum?

Back