Ps1 Why Not N64

HackModford

I know I've brought this up before but... If someone can emulate PS1 why not N64? If what I read is true the GP2X is four times more powerful than the Nintendo DS and the Nintendo DS can almost do N64! Why can't our beloved GP2X?

HackModford said:
I know I've brought this up before but... If someone can emulate PS1 why not N64? If what I read is true the GP2X is four times more powerful than the Nintendo DS and the Nintendo DS can almost do N64! Why can't our beloved GP2X?
Do a search. Did you forget the answer last time?

Last edited by a moderator:
HackModford said:
grrrr

HackModford said:
N64 is vastly harder to emulate than PSX without 3D hardware - NDS has 3D hardware, not GP2X - because it has no 3D hardware. Furthermore, I have just checked out the video on youtube, NDS does not "almost" emulate N64.

I don't want to offend you (and all people bringing up the topic every two weeks), but you sound like a child requesting a spaceship for christmas. You can ask as much as you want, it won't change the answer: no.

First of all ps1 on gp2x is not very good it's not full speed with horrible sound, how can gp2x emulate n64 if it can't emulate ps1 properly, I would love to see Sega megadrive 32x and Sega saturn it will be really cool.

The n64 is very powerful compare to psx it will be pointless to release n64 emulator on gp2x i think it was big mistake releasing psx on gp2x it hardly doesn't run any game full speed The psx and n64 emulator are pointless to have them on gp2x the machine can't do 3d.

On many websites it says the gp2x is 4 times powerful than ds i don't really understand how can this be true when gp2x is 2D and ds in 3D.

sukhigp said:
On many websites it says the gp2x is 4 times powerful than ds i don't really understand how can this be true when gp2x is 2D and ds in 3D.
They probably say that the GP2x is 4x as powerful as the DS because of the P*nis size...

:blink:

Yeah... that must be it! :lol:

In a way ds is a really weak system in terms of specs, gp2x is more powerful in most departments here are the differences:

GP2X CPU 240MHZ (OVERCLOCKS TO 300MHZ)

DS LITE CPU 67.8MHZ (VERY WEAK COMPARE TO GP2X CPU SPEED)

GP2X RAM 64MB

DS LITE RAM 4MB (NOW GP2X RAM IS HUGE LEAP TO DS LITE)

GP2X HAS DUAL CORE

DS LITE HAS ONE (GP2X WITH DUAL CORE MAKES HUGE DIFFERENCE TO DS LITE)

GP2X 2D ACCELERATOR

DS LITE 3D ACCELERATOR (GP2X 2D ACCELERATOR CAN PRODUCE 3D GRAPHICS EASILY COMPAREABLE TO DS)

MORE INFO ON GP2X VS DS LITE

The gp2x has many homebrew games and emulators, the ds has very few emulators it doesn't have neo geo mvs,mame,mega cd and of course it has genesis emu which doesn't even have sound and there are few homebrew games on it how can a ds be powerful than gp2x when it doesn't have all the emulators and homebrew games from gp2x it lagging behind when it comes to emulation.

sukhigp said:
DS LITE 3D ACCELERATOR (GP2X 2D ACCELERATOR CAN PRODUCE 3D GRAPHICS EASILY COMPAREABLE TO DS)
This is nonsense.

You know, one very good thing about GP2X is the community. People are mature enough, and try to avoid the childish fanboy behaviour consisting in constantly pretending with wrong arguments that their toy is better than the others.

I am glad to announce that, since Hackmodford mentioned it should be possible for obvious reasons, I have suddenly and magically found a way to emulate the N64 on the GP2X!

Simple:

Take GP2X
Put any machine that can emulate the N64
Put said machine ON the GP2X (oooooh! Get it?)
And Emulate

Voilà!

Thanks HackModford, I couldn't have done it without you =D

Oh and before you ask, even though the DS can quite obviously emulate itself, you won't be able to emulate it on the GP2X

8 BIT FTW!!!1

(Note: This is intended to be humorous, as in humour, or humor for the rest of y'all)

The GP2X may be able to produce 3D graphics 'easily', but it doesn't have a multi-million pound multi-national team of coders behind it.

Also, for it to emulate N64 AND produce those easily produced 3D graphics, it has to do two jobs.

Looking forward to sukhigp's N64 emulator!

HackModford said:
Nintendo DS can almost do N64!
Wow! I've got a DS, can you point in the way of the emulator that can 'almost do' N64 ?

Or is the only similarity actually that both the N64 and DS have some hardware 3D capabilities? :)

Would it not be awesome if you could buy a 3D accelerator for the GP2X and assemble it yourself? Although, I'm not sure if it would be possible. I never have studied the GP2X's hardware...

Honestly, the DS has the worst 3D graphics I've ever seen (from a modern device, of course). Even with millions of dollars, highly optimized code, and a tiny screen, Nintendo is still only able to pass those ports off as "N64 quality" to little kids.

Nintendo 64 emulators have system requirements of a decent gfx card and 1.5ghz processor. Modern, high compatibility emulators have much higher requirements. In other words, it ain't happening.

Jake10 said:
Would it not be awesome if you could buy a 3D accelerator for the GP2X and assemble it yourself? Although, I'm not sure if it would be possible. I never have studied the GP2X's hardware...
Well you'd have to replace the whole System-on-a-Chip, good luck with those pinouts and soldering those 15 nanometer pins.

The Nintendo DS is capable of running games similar to that of those that the N64 can run. It does not, by any means, mean that it can emulate an N64 system.

Honestly, the DS has the worst 3D graphics I've ever seen (from a modern device, of course).

What device the same size or smaller has better 3D graphics?

GP2X HAS DUAL CORE

The DS has two ARM cores actually, ARM9 and ARM7.

More fun with fanboy sukhigp :D

sukhigp said:
In a way ds is a really weak system in terms of specs, gp2x is more powerful in most departments here are the differences:

GP2X CPU 240MHZ (OVERCLOCKS TO 300MHZ)
Or 200MHz, overclocks to 240MHz, maybe more if you're lucky.. I bet less than 5% of people can overclock their GP2X all the way up to 300MHz..

sukhigp said:
Few things on GP2X actually use the second, DS homebrew on the other hand uses it constantly (you know, that second core it doesn't have)

sukhigp said:
GP2X 2D ACCELERATOR

XD

The 2D accelerator on GP2X is almost worthless, and that's why almost no one uses it for anything aside from framebuffer scale blits. It can barely do anything. DS, on the other hand, has a powerful four layer tiled accelerator with lots of effects.. scaling, rotation, sprites, etc

And the 2D acceleration on GP2X also does nothing whatsoever to accelerate 3D, I bet software rendered graphics on GP2X can't touch the best graphics on DS.

sukhigp said:
The gp2x has many homebrew games and emulators, the ds has very few emulators it doesn't have neo geo mvs,mame,mega cd and of course it has genesis emu which doesn't even have sound and there are few homebrew games on it how can a ds be powerful than gp2x when it doesn't have all the emulators and homebrew games from gp2x it lagging behind when it comes to emulation.
Actually DS has lots of emulators if you count all of the fullspeed GBA ones. And you're going to look really stupid when jEnesis has sound, I think you're just a bitter little boy with no patience (I saw how you slagged off Lordus over it.. people like you really annoy me)

Right now SNES games actually work better on DS when they don't have major graphical issues (and if you can ignore the vertical stretching, which isn't too bad), thanks to the 2D hardware it has.

Echomote said:
Haha, what a fixed question, DS might have much weaker graphics than PSP but it's slightly smaller guys! (in one dimension anyway)

Since you asked, my Dell Axim x50v is smaller than DS and has significantly better 3D hardware (can even run Quake 3)

Exophase said:
Echomote said:
Haha, what a fixed question, DS might have much weaker graphics than PSP but it's slightly smaller guys! (in one dimension anyway)

Since you asked, my Dell Axim x50v is smaller than DS and has significantly better 3D hardware (can even run Quake 3)
Got the question slightly wrong, need sleep I think. :rolleyes:

What I really meant is:
What device with the same portability (light, clam-shell protected screens! - well suitable for pockets) and is available from retailers around the same cost as the DS lite?

(I missed out the cost bit :p I miss important stuff out when I'm tired)

Echomote said:
What I really meant is:
What device with the same portability (light, clam-shell protected screens! - well suitable for pockets) and is available from retailers around the same cost as the DS lite?
"What device is EXACTLY like the DS in every single way except it has better 3D? Huh? Huh? See, therefore the 3D is perfect."

What the guy said was that DS has the worst 3D he's ever seen in any handheld, you're just jumping to defend it because you think the other benefits justifies the weak 3D, when actually that has nothing to do with what he said or why he said it.

Whoa, i've been missing out on the DS scene!
There's fullspeed GBA emulators now!?
Seeing as the DS has GBA hardware... and I remember the HUGE amounts of flaming for anyone asking for Slot 1 GBA emulators... someone sure showed them...
But anyway, If I remember correctly, the PSX had a 33mhz processor, the N64 had a 96mhz processor (with 64mhz co-processor) the DS has a 66 & 33 mhz processor, has better 3D capabilities than the N64... the DS doesnt emulate the n64 AT ALL! It just has official ports... ports being, using the same maps... but redesigning the actual game engine for the DS.
Infact I preffer working on the DS compared the the GP2x simply because of its 3D hardware. . . I think I've just forgotten what the topic was about... :p

I wonder how many people actually SEARCH the forums (or anywhere actually) on why the GP2x shouldnt bother emulating 3D accelerated consoles on the GP2x. Luckily the playstation has a very weak single processor.

Back