Pandora Utility Belt

daffy

My main motivation for buying the Pandora, pathetic geek that I am, is so I can always have a decent computer on me.

More than just the Pandora, my plans are to put together a kit I can carry on me that hits a highly effective amount-of-crap-to-utility point. :ph34r:

I don't want a shoulder bag. I would consider a waist bag, but I've never really found one I like. I like the look of this, but I'm honestly afraid some righteous citizen or DHS goon would think I had a gun one me and shoot me. And I don't want to rely on cargo pants.

As well as the Pandora, I plan on carrying: a compact camera (I'm liking the look of the Sony DSC-TX5), a folding Bluetooth keyboard and a folding mouse (MS Arc mouse -- would that it were Bluetooth) and one of the tiny webcams you can get for nothing these days. I also carry a Centro (ie a tetherable phone that gives me PDA functions), a Leatherman and an Inka pen.

I'm looking for ideas about:

The content of the kit.
- Perhaps some highly portable tripod equivalent (Gorillapod would be ridiculous in my pocket)? Is there something magnetic I could attach to the tripod mount?
- A very small but effective USB GPS receiver (only if there is good navigation software to go with it). Bluetooth is out, as I want to avoid having more things to charge. Any other highly compact but useful USB devices? Am I *completely* pathetic for vaguely considering a USB monitor?
- non-computer kit (like the Leatherman and pen). I include in this category small and useful devices that might be powered by USB (having that gorgeous 4AH battery on me begs for making good use of it!)
- I'll need highly portable listening gear. Thoughts on which earbuds (or some alternative I can't imagine?). Probably also ones that act as a headset.

How to carry the kit
- The shoulder holster is the best solution I can find. I've also considered slinging the pandora around my neck (does it have a lanyard hole?), but that still leaves me with how to carry the keyboard and camera. Although I like the "scalability" of that -- I can run to the shops and have my pandora on me, without having to worry about the shoulder holster

How to charge the kit
- This gives me three devices to charge. Pulling those out and plugging them in every evening is a tedium I'd rather avoid. Inductive charging will be the solution one day, but right now this involves attaching pads that don't look like the would work (particularly with the camera). I imagine I can charge all three devices from 5V, and probably from USB. Perhaps I can wire up my bag so I just plug in the bag somehow (this might then involve spring-tension wires so I can pull out any of the devices without actually unplugging them). I actually think there is a market in a device for women's handbags that lets them charge their cell phone, camera and iPod at night by just plugging in their handbag. Anyway.

I imagine I'll probably just have to plug everything in regularly. I'm most interested in thoughts about how to carry this kit, but I'll take contributes on its content or any of this.

I'd just like to add at this point that it's a nice bonus that on top of all this functionality in my pocket, I'll also be able to play games on it... :rolleyes:

Here's hoping this posting works, because the system ate my last post with no explanation.

Damnit, this the second thing I've posted here and had to write again because the system just ate the post without warning.

That looks great, but I live in San Diego, and that would be *way* too warm for wearing everywhere for at least half the year.

I should also mention I'm looking for reasonably rugged (or cheap). This is why my computing device is the Pandora rather than an iPhone (well, one of the reasons).

daffy said:
Damnit, this the second thing I've posted here and had to write again because the system just ate the post without warning.

That looks great, but I live in San Diego, and that would be *way* too warm for wearing everywhere for at least half the year.

I should also mention I'm looking for reasonably rugged (or cheap). This is why my computing device is the Pandora rather than an iPhone (well, one of the reasons).
Too warm? It's a waistcoat, no sleves. Don't wear anything under it or you can wear something like this. That'll be sexy like hell! And with all that battery-power you'll be carying, you could attach a couple of usb-fans on the waistcoat and you'll not only look cool.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nooooooo, you'll look worse than those middle aged men with polo shirts tucked into their belt with an 80's mobile phone clipped on the side. Don't do it, I beg you!

13622026819767549384.jpg

Attachments

• 13622026819767549384.jpg
    13622026819767549384.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 144
quartercast said:
Nooooooo, you'll look worse than those middle aged men with polo shirts tucked into their belt with an 80's mobile phone clipped on the side. Don't do it, I beg you!
or the batman. depends how much black he wears i guess!

You could always go with the Man-Purse Carry-All
carryall.jpg

....its' European

Attachments

• carryall.jpg
    carryall.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 135
Wow, another San Diegan. Dude, I wouldn't be caught dead wearing any of these geek belts/bags. I got my street cred to protect.

But you could use what this guy is using: click here

I know you said you didn't want a shoulder bag, but I would take a look at the Proporta Gadget Bag: http://www.proporta.com/F02/PPF02P05.php?t_id=4702&t_mode=des

I have one, and love it. I got it 2 years ago in anticipation of the Pandora and have been using it ever since for most all of my gadgets. (Except for my behemoth of a laptop) It's amazing how much you can fit into that tiny thing. Plus, it has a lifetime warranty, so if anything ever happens to it, you're covered. ^_^

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
I know you said you didn't want a shoulder bag, but I would take a look at the Proporta Gadget Bag: http://www.proporta.com/F02/PPF02P05.php?t_id=4702&t_mode=des

I actually have a gadget bag. Put it more that I want an option for when I don't want to carry a bag.

No-one has any thoughts on the content. I *am* awesome and have put together a superb kit, but there have to be some other interesting options.

What will *your* kit consist of, if different from mine?

daffy said:

I'm San Diegan too! and a native :lol: There's 3 of us on this thread so if Pandora is out before the next bar camp I was planning on doing a demo of it there. Ok enough derail:

I always wear a blazer so my pocket needs are always satisfied but it can get really warm in SD with that setup. I also have two Lomo hipshot bags I plan to use to carry gear and gadgets when I run out of pockets Example Here If the straps dont work out well to make them into hip bags you can use clip binders (like the rock climbing ones) to hook them to your belt loops.

When it comes to small shoulder bags (It' called a satchel! not a murse! lol) the best ones I've see come from Japan but I've searched night and day for an online vendor and can't find one. I would assume Europe would have cool hip bags too but I haven't looked into that yet.

If you got the cash Gucci, LV, and Prada all have waist bags too. If you like loud patterns Tokidoki and Le Sport Pac (sp?) has some too.

I think you could search around DIY blogs and websites for a bag charging solution.

I've done some thinking about a USB screen as an added accessory before. Was thinking about getting a RedFly because it has a large battery that can charge other gadgets too. The keyboard would be useless though until someone figures out software to connect the two devices. I've got a DIY laptop project on the side that I'm doing so I'm actually just going to buy a portable dvd player with a screen if I need extra screen space on the go.

I've got a few other things to add but I need to get back to work T_T

You might want to consider something like this as you can add multiple different size bags/pouches and it's built for holding camera gear = good quality http://products.lowepro.com/product/S-F-Light-Belt,2027,31.htm

Back