Promising Absurdly Cheap And Functional Webcam

daffy

This has no right to work as well as it does for $US11.80 including shipping. Tiny (think matchbook), with a clip on the back and a retractable USB cable.

Worked on my Mac, out of the box, no drivers to install.

I don't know that it will work on the Panda, but odds seem good, so I'm going to get one in advance and I'll let y'all know how it works if I ever actually get my Panda.

Now I just hope Skype works (with video, so the N800 version is out) on my Panda, and I'll be set.

(Oh, and the dealextreme website has other camera options worth looking at, as well).

I have one of these, too. Excellent quality, aren't they? :D

EDIT: While I think of it, I wonder if the USB device ID is of any use to anyone? (Perhaps to shed some light on whether or not it may work?) If so, lsusb returns this: eb1a:2571 eMPIA Technology, Inc.

This looks like those chinese driver-less cams you see flooding ebay.

Interestingly the picture didn't make it seem *that* small to me, until I looked at the size of the USB plug in the photo and realized that the cam is only SLIGHTLY bigger than the plug!

daffy said:
This has no right to work as well as it does for $US11.80 including shipping. Tiny (think matchbook), with a clip on the back and a retractable USB cable.

Worked on my Mac, out of the box, no drivers to install.

I don't know that it will work on the Panda, but odds seem good, so I'm going to get one in advance and I'll let y'all know how it works if I ever actually get my Panda.

Now I just hope Skype works (with video, so the N800 version is out) on m Panda, and I'll be set.

(Oh, and the dealextreme website has other camera options worth looking at, as well).

If you already have one, why don´t you just wait and see if it works with the pandora?
Also, i don´t think there will be any software utilising webcams for a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
Prometheus said:
I have one of these, too. Excellent quality, aren't they? :D

EDIT: While I think of it, I wonder if the USB device ID is of any use to anyone? (Perhaps to shed some light on whether or not it may work?) If so, lsusb returns this: eb1a:2571 eMPIA Technology, Inc.
I don't have the lsusb info to hand but that was the same comapny that made the webcam that comes with the eeepc, might even be the same number.

Actually, I'm now thinking this might be even better, as it appears to use a separate mini-usb cable. So I can carry one cable, and use it for this, for portable charging of the panda, or of other devices from the panda (love that battery!)

darkowl said:
I don't have the lsusb info to hand but that was the same comapny that made the webcam that comes with the eeepc, might even be the same number.
I never knew that. I never thought to check it during the brief period when I owned an EeePC.

Back