Opensolaris Arm Port.

PhonicUK

Website
www.phonicuk.com
http://opensolaris.org/os/project/osarm/

The OpenSolaris Operating System has many features well suited for embedded systems now and in the future. The kernel is fully preemptable and multithreaded, it provides real-time capabilities, and the modular architecture is highly configurable. Because of these advanced capabilities, we feel there are interesting opportunities to extend OpenSolaris to new platforms, such as the ARM architecture. Therefore, we have created this project to configure the OS/Net (ON) consolidation to meet the requirements of embedded systems and to port OpenSolaris to the ARM platform.

So what do people think the odds are of seeing Solaris for the Panda? I'm not sure how useful it would be - but cool nethertheless!

I would love to see opensolaris running on my pandora cube or a vanilla panda if the cube will not be made. I hope to get a power saving server this way.

I'm pretty 'meh' about this one, but if someone has the cojones to port it, more power to them.

musicalwoods said:
I'm pretty 'meh' about this one, but if someone has the cojones to port it, more power to them.
Sorry for getting off topic, but how common is the word "cojones" for english speaking people? I spend some time in Spain as well as in Mexico, so I think I know what it means. You can say almost exactly the same in german ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
ricki said:
Sorry for getting off topic, but how common is the word "cojones" for english speaking people? I spend some time in Spain as well as in Mexico, so I think I know what it means. You can say almost exactly the same in german ;)

Uhh, it isn't incredibly common, but it is in the verbatim. I'm from a part of the US that isn't too far from Mexico, so that might have something to do with it.

lulzfish said:
... It means balls, right?
Not exactly, afaik it is used for that meaning but in a much more vulgarly way. Ok, thanks. For me we can stop this now and go back to topic.

I'm far from being a Unix guru (and even a Unix user) so I'm not really sure about the advantage from Solaris to Linux. But I like to learn and maybe this could be a starting point for me.

There really isn't any advantage to running Solaris over Linux on ARM. Most of the reasons to run Solaris on x86 instead of Linux are related to architectural differences on x86. Those will disappear after a port to ARM, so there won't really be much to be gained.

torpor said:
There really isn't any advantage to running Solaris over Linux on ARM. Most of the reasons to run Solaris on x86 instead of Linux are related to architectural differences on x86. Those will disappear after a port to ARM, so there won't really be much to be gained.
One advantage, that comes to mind is, that you can use ZFS.
I don't know if using ZFS in embedded device makes sense, but in NAS it's an interesting possibility.

If they port it to ARM it doesn't automatically mean it will run on Pandora. Somebody will still need to write/port all drivers.

WoD said:
Nation.A.List said:
Sphinxter said:
Probably rather have some bamboo shoots.
Shoots, eats and leaves.

There, fixed that for you.

You failed. I fixed it the proper way for those panda hunters.

Anyway, Solaris on the Pandora? What's the point? Sure its great as a server and only half-retardly gay on a desktop, but on a gaming handheld? That just seems ridiculous. I just don't see the point of trying to replace linux for solaris on something where it won't make a damn bit of difference if either is used other than proof it can be done. But that will get more people motivated that its true usefulness anyway.

If you want an eco-server then get a thin client for half the price of the Pandora and use it. If you use the Via chipset then its x86 compliant, energy-efficient and no headacheport necessary to use it.

But it's only my opinion. I wear flame-retarded suits.

Noisome

Back