Programming With The Pandora

zombiesatemygoldfish

Still Fresh
So im very keen on the pandora and I kind of want to use it for programming. Like for righting code while Im away from the house. what compilers would be available to me? Sorry if these sound nubbish, the whole Arm vs x86 has thrown me for a loop.

'writing code'

Its Linux, so anything pretty much availeble for Linux (ie: the architecture doesn't matter so much at that level.) ie: gcc and friends, python, perl, run a webserver on there if you want to do AJAX and javascript, etc.. whatever :)

jeff

zombiesatemygoldfish said:
So im very keen on the pandora and I kind of want to use it for programming. Like for righting code while Im away from the house. what compilers would be available to me? Sorry if these sound nubbish, the whole Arm vs x86 has thrown me for a loop.

GCC, for one. You should have access to any open source compiler that can run on ARM. You could probably compile for ARM on ARM, into bytecode, or even cross compile to other archs (I don't know why you would, though). Add to that, you can use all of the normal interpreted languages (Python, Ruby, Perl, etc...).

Last edited by a moderator:
For me, the big question will be which IDE to use on Pandora.

You won't be able to use Microsoft stuff obviously, so Visual *, C#, and J# and *.NET are out. will be somewhat usable through Mono and related open-source projects, though it obviously won't have DirectX or other proprietary MS stuff.
But if your, say, Visual C++ code can be compiled on Linux with Make or whatever, and if it doesn't use closed-source libraries such as DirectX, it should be able to compile on the Pandora as well.

Other than that, just about anything should work as long as you have the libraries and headers installed.
Bytecode and scripting languages such as Lua, Javascript, Python, Java should work nicely between Pandora, desktop Linux, and desktop Windows. In theory, at least.

As for IDEs, that's more difficult. Many of them like to either have a huge array of unlabelled small icons (Visual Studio last I saw) or a small array of gigantic icons and sidepanels (Qt Creator).

I'm probably going for a code-highlighting text editor and a terminal until I can find something better. Something like Kate + Konsole or Xterm + SciTE or whatever gets ported first.

lulzfish said:
You won't be able to use Microsoft stuff obviously, so Visual *, C#, and J# and *.NET are out.

That's not true - c# (and other .net stuff) should compile pretty much out of the box using something like SharpDevelop and Mono, unless the .net code in question makes heavy use of importing win32 APIs, or uses 3rd party libraries that themselves rely on win32 stuff

Whoops, forgot about Mono.
so, yeah, most .NET stuff will work, just not with the native tools, so there's not a whole lot of guarantee on how much of it will work.

Maybe you can recompile Notepad++ for ARM, its a nice Code Highlighter

i use it, very portably on my Mobility App suite (USB apps).

and its minimal toolbar view es great.

DroneB Dev said:
Maybe you can recompile Notepad++ for ARM, its a nice Code Highlighter

i use it, very portably on my Mobility App suite (USB apps).

and its minimal toolbar view es great.

Most of the small GUI notepads in linux do code coloring. KATE is my favorite, but there are others (like gedit).

The Fun on Notepad ++ is that the code higligting works on a Plugin Basis, and right now it seems that theres a bunch of plugins for all the major Programming languages.

Kate does work, but it didnt went very well when i was dealing with PHP

This project, based on the Scintilla editor component, is written in C++ with only Win32 API calls using only the STL in order to increase performance and reduce program size.

That doesn't sound very portable.

The only way I've seen to even run Notepad++ on Linux is through WINE, where it works adequately but not well.

SciTE uses Lua for configuration, so it also has a wealth of pluggable highlighting doodads.
http://groups.google.com/group/scite-interest/web/extras?pli=1

Unfortunately, it seems to be based on wxWidgets which is kind of "meh" as GUI toolkits go. I'd like to standardize on GTK+ and Qt... :/ Oh well.

Edit: lol, SciTE and Notepad++ use the same editor component.
And Notepad++ is only physically portable because of its self-contained portableapps.com package.

SciTE actually runs on Linux, which I think will help slightly.

ITT: we wage an editor war of epic proportion.

Alec  said:
This project, based on the Scintilla editor component, is written in C++ with only Win32 API calls using only the STL in order to increase performance and reduce program size.

That doesn't sound very portable.
Thought as much. Oh well, Kate is nice, but I've become so used to NP++ recently. Of course there are still a few more Linux text-editors I have yet to really try, so I'll check out some of those. :)

NP++ has support in its backend for Linux/GTK+. (I took a look at the source.) It does use Win32 methods, but I'm not sure how heavily they're used. Someone more experienced in the port department (*coughpicklecough*) might be able to take a look and see how heavily it depends on Win32 methods, and how difficult it would be to move it over to GTK+ (or similar).

i mostly use Geany for coding if i don't want to use some oversized IDE like KDevelop, i've seen some armel packages in the Debian repos so it's already running on ARM + it's using GTK.
some may call it a minimalistic IDE, some may call it just an advanced text editor as you even have to write the Makefiles on your own if you have more than 1 source file, but it is able to stuff a lot of IDE functionality into its rather simpel GUI. it has e.g. auto completion suggestion, a build-in Terminal, code highlighting for a really huge amount of languages and file types (you can even export the highlighted code as HTML or LaTeX) and it shows functions, classes, variables and symbols (depending on the file type) in a tree view.

this topic just remind me of "npp++" editor for coding.
so, is there a way to use it on pandora?

upd: http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/

GuchaRU said:
this topic just remind me of "npp++" editor for coding.
so, is there a way to use it on pandora?

upd: http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/

question was answered earlier in this very thread.

now that i recall, i called out NPP first too.

Just a quick side note:
lulzfish said:
...just not with the native tools, so there's not a whole lot of guarantee on how much of it will work.

.NET CAN actually access external tools, and do so very easily, as a matter of fact. Take a look at the OpenTK project for instance; it gives you access to OpenGL ES, OpenAL, OpenGL, etc etc cross-platformly (so you can literally take an executable compiled for Mac OSX, copy it to the Pandora, and run it without issues). .NET/the CLR isn't like Java, as many of you seem to think; it's actually a lot more low-level and can give you access to pretty much anything you want.

Back