Sdl And Opengl 2.0es?

Tastie

Still Fresh
I've just recently started programming in C++ over summer, and after reading the FAQ it says that the Pandora will be compatible with SDL and OpenGL 2.0 ES libraries.... im guessing this means i can use those libraries in C++ to program for the pandora. Is that all you have to do to start programming for the pandora?

i noticed that it also says "Certainly it will be easy to get GCC running directly for writing C/C++ code." so C++ programs wont directly run on the pandora? what about C#?

sorry for all these questions, but i've been reading about this system for week or 2. i'm just now starting to work on small games, and i would love to pre-order one of these systems if i'll be able to code easily on it even though im extremely in-experienced.

You might be able to code on it, but you don't need to. You can always write your code on your computer, than use a cross-compiler to compile the code to run on the Pandora. So to answer your first question, yes, all you need to do to start programming is know C/C++/SDL/OpenGL.

In terms of C#, there probably won't be support at launch, but there might be support, if someone gets around to porting Mono.

Tastie said:
i noticed that it also says "Certainly it will be easy to get GCC running directly for writing C/C++ code." so C++ programs wont directly run on the pandora?

Where does it say that? :) There will be no problem at all for C++ code to run on the Pandora, as well as C.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tinnus, you're posting a lot more lately. I take it PSX emu development went well and you have more free time now :p

anexanhume said:
Tinnus, you're posting a lot more lately. I take it PSX emu development went well and you have more free time now :p
No, I'm just anxious like everybody else, and trying to answer obvious stuff to help the absurd forum bloat that's been happening lately.

And unfortunately as I said in some thread about that I'm waiting for my real unit to develop the new renderer for the emulator since the wrapper PC drivers have some problems with my card (like it just crashes the scren, stuff doesn't work etc). I spent like a month tracking a bug (and feiled) that I ultimately believe to have its roots in the wrapper, and I don't want to lose any more time like that ;)

Hi,

Is there currently a way to mix SDL and OpenGL ES 2.0? Or is SDL using traditional OGL only?

Thanks! :)

Michoko said:
Hi,

Is there currently a way to mix SDL and OpenGL ES 2.0? Or is SDL using traditional OGL only?

I expect someone will get ES (2.0) support in there for the Pandora version at least :)

Tinnus said:
Michoko said:
Hi,

I expect someone will get ES (2.0) support in there for the Pandora version at least :)

Ok thanks ;) I'm currently a DS homebrew developer, and I'd love to code games on the pandora. I'm just a bit lost about the best technical option I should adopt.

For example, I have a new project in mind, and I'm still hesitating on the way to go, especially if I want to keep it as portable as possible:
SDL + traditional OpenGL ? Nice for PC and maybe PSP, but not for pandora or DS.
SDL + OpenGL ES ? Ok for PC and Pandora, but not for DS or PSP
Allegro maybe? I'm not sure there will be a Pandora port, and it seems a PSP port is on the way, but for now, it would be a PC bet only...

Quite a dilemma for sure ;)

Tastie said:
i noticed that it also says "Certainly it will be easy to get GCC running directly for writing C/C++ code." so C++ programs wont directly run on the pandora?
That meant getting the GCC compiler running on the Pandora itself (so you can compile code on the pandora)

There won't be any problem at all compiling code on a PC and copying it over to the Pandora

benjymous said:
Tastie said:
That meant getting the GCC compiler running on the Pandora itself (so you can compile code on the pandora)

There won't be any problem at all compiling code on a PC and copying it over to the Pandora

In any case, you can probably cross-compile GCC just like you'd cross-compile any other program.

Or am I totally wrong?

so basically if i know JUST C++ there should be a simple way to get it to run on pandora? or will it already run without any changes? If so will this be possible at launch?

if you cant tell, im EXTREMELY excited about pandora :D

Tastie said:
so basically if i know JUST C++ there should be a simple way to get it to run on pandora? or will it already run without any changes? If so will this be possible at launch?

if you cant tell, im EXTREMELY excited about pandora :D
Yes, you only have to cross-compile your code for the platform and include any non-standard (not included in pandora's OS) libraries. It's a linux, you program it like one.

Back