Processor Upgrades

I thought that the 1Ghz version is made on a different process and uses more power?

the pandora processor may clock to 1Ghz but then it also might catch on fire if you try that...

Firefox said:
Laurent said:
And in case some wonder how it looks: http://beagleboard.org/hardware

(OT) That looks like a really useful board in its own right. I might grab one to play with, if they don't turn out to be too expensive.

Going well off topic ;).

They are rather nice :D. Different market all together from the Pandora but there is a lot shared between the systems. I know the plan is to make it an ideal ARM hacking board, I have mine on order for a project that needs a DVI output.

With the Pandora and Beagle both pushing the OMAP3530 in open source circles things look very bright for the SoC. Not to mention that OMAP3 patches are already being pushed to upstream projects and and the aim with all of this work is to make sure as much of the code is pushed 'mainline' as possible. Nothing better for a platform then having support baked in at the top B).

Last edited by a moderator:
Firefox said:
(OT) That looks like a really useful board in its own right. I might grab one to play with, if they don't turn out to be too expensive.

They are targetting $150 (ref: http://beagleboard.org/hardware).

DJWillis said:
With the Pandora and Beagle both pushing the OMAP3530 in open source circles things look very bright for the SoC. Not to mention that OMAP3 patches are already being pushed to upstream projects and and the aim with all of this work is to make sure as much of the code is pushed 'mainline' as possible. Nothing better for a platform then having support baked in at the top B).

Except OMAP3 patches have not yet been RFC in ARM kernel list. That'd be great to be able to work on a mainline version of the kernel :)

Laurent said:
Except OMAP3 patches have not yet been RFC in ARM kernel list. That'd be great to be able to work on a mainline version of the kernel :)
Nope, they have been pushed up for review to linux-omap (and into there GIT) from there the process would be to push them up to Russell King and mainline ARM. It does give OMAP another level of abstraction but in the same vein it does seem to be very much the right way to do it :D. I would expect Pandora specific support patches to go the same way.

Tobriand said:
teggun said:
Holokauston said:
In theory anything is possible ;P
depends which theory you apply :)

Well, if your theory is inconsistent, then it can trivially proove anything. So apply any inconsistent theory and anything will indeed be possible.

I'm a bit fuzzy on the details, but didn't Gödel prove that any mathemmatical/logical system that is sufficiently advanced to prove number theory, must by definition be inconsistent or incomplete?

So I guess that means anything is possible in any theory that is sufficiently advanced...

Dutch_Cap said:
Tobriand said:
Well, if your theory is inconsistent, then it can trivially proove anything. So apply any inconsistent theory and anything will indeed be possible.
I'm a bit fuzzy on the details, but didn't Gödel prove that any mathemmatical/logical system that is sufficiently advanced to prove number theory, must by definition be inconsistent or incomplete?

So I guess that means anything is possible in any theory that is sufficiently advanced...

Fairly close but not quite, at least as I understand it. Gödel proved incompleteness for consistent, "sufficiently rich", recursively axiomatizable theories, yes. He also proved that no such theory will be able to prove it's own consistency (although as I understand it, some other theory may be able to).

But: that still requires that the theory be consistent. So there will still be things that you can't prove with such a consistent theory, because if it did prove them it would be inconsistent. I think.

Anyway, this is way OT - back on track: Changing the processor is unlikely at best (unless you live in a world with a contradiction :) )!

Back