Processor Upgrades

ashadocat

It uses an arm processor? could we, theoretically, replace the arm processor with a newer model and still have all the old apps work at the same speed?. do arm processor change to much between build to make this work.
it will probably be like trying to put and amd in an intel slot, but I don't know much about this. it would be awesome if we could upgrade it for better performance.

Hiroe said:
It uses an arm processor? could we, theoretically, replace the arm processor with a newer model and still have all the old apps work at the same speed?. do arm processor change to much between build to make this work.
it will probably be like trying to put and amd in an intel slot, but I don't know much about this. it would be awesome if we could upgrade it for better performance.
The biggest problem is that the SoC uses a BGA interface. That means it is virtually impossible to remove the SoC without special equipment, and even then you run the risk of damaging the chip, the PCB, or both.

So the answer is no. The processor is not replaceable.

Last edited by a moderator:
alright, assuming I could get the processor off without damaging the board and miraculously attached a new, faster arm processor without any damage to it or the pcb, would it run? (that was a run on sentance...)

is it to late for the devs to add a simple way to replace processors. is we did this it could extend the life of the pandora project a bit and the store could sell processors with the right hook up.

well it would probably lack the PowerVR GPU ... and that is pretty important

there is a 1 Ghz version of the pandora SoC i believe though .. it might kill ur battery life though or worse

but if the cpu was sold by the pandora company they could get one with PowerVR GPU

I read gpu as grue

your idea entered a dark tunnel.
your idea was eaten by a gpu...

Hiroe said:
alright, assuming I could get the processor off without damaging the board and miraculously attached a new, faster arm processor without any damage to it or the pcb, would it run?
Trick question. There isn't an OMAP chip faster than the 3530. As to whether future chips will be drop-in compatible, nobody outside if TI would know that.

is it to late for the devs to add a simple way to replace processors. is we did this it could extend the life of the pandora project a bit and the store could sell processors with the right hook up.

The chips are only available in the BGA package. There is no reasonable way to make it replaceable.

Is there actually any arm based portable hardware that has a socketed processor ?.

I just think it`s such a strange request on something as small as the pandora. :blink:

Trooper

It's BGA and PoP, so the OMAP + flash + ram is one unit. So you can't just replace the omap itself, you have to replace omap + flash + ram. No casual end user is going to be able to perform such an operation unless they work for a pcb manufacturing company (or have a LOT of cash, space, and skills)

and thats assuming that a newer higher-speed OMAP is pin for pin compatible with older OMAPs, and requires the exact same supporting circuitry...

No point selling something that 99% of people can't do anything with...

is it to late for the devs to add a simple way to replace processors.

Well, in theory, the SoC could be placed onto the board using spring loaded spikes, but the cost of that would be extortionate. It would also only solve the BGA issue.

I figured it would be something like needing to replace the hole board or all the chips on it. thank you for the information.

You seem to forget that the Pandora is made of some pretty high-end stuff, it hasn't even been released yet and you're talking about replacing the CPU?

Ok, calm down, and think: Cortex goes up to 1GHz, last I heard. What would the extra 400MHz be worth to YOU when pretty much every other Pandora dev is going to be coding with the default 600MHz in mind?

The whole point is to make amazing things happen on very small hardware. Just not practical. Overclock the thing if you need more speed.

A better question would be: "Is it necessary?". Most hardware is VERY fast. Bloated software makes it seam slow.

I have a small computer with debian linux functioning as NAS and webserver with a 300mhz PII and 96mb of ram. I can get 400-500 requests per second for static content (lighttpd) and easily fill out the 10MB/s on lan transfers. And it's a poor x86 processor from I don't even know how long ago.

The pandora has a DSP coprocessor that could be used for encoding/decoding and maybe other things. Also, TI says that the Cortex can safely go up 1ghz. It may not even eat that much more power.

In most computers (when running games) the GPU is the bottleneck, which is plenty fast on the pandora for that resolution. No one will need a faster CPU in the next few years after it gets released.

teggun said:
Holokauston said:
In theory anything is possible ;P
depends which theory you apply :)

Well, if your theory is inconsistent, then it can trivially proove anything. So apply any inconsistent theory and anything will indeed be possible.

Except the theory.

Sorry, spent too long doing Math Logic the last few days...

Firefox said:
Laurent said:
And in case some wonder how it looks: http://beagleboard.org/hardware

(OT) That looks like a really useful board in its own right. I might grab one to play with, if they don't turn out to be too expensive.

I was thinking the same thing. You could make a killer set top box out of that. Like an AppleTV, but without all the suck.

Chip said:
Firefox said:
Laurent said:
And in case some wonder how it looks: http://beagleboard.org/hardware

(OT) That looks like a really useful board in its own right. I might grab one to play with, if they don't turn out to be too expensive.

I was thinking the same thing. You could make a killer set top box out of that. Like an AppleTV, but without all the suck.

I was thinking of buying a Kurobox and making it a mythtv backend :D

Back