CLEARLY the emulator everyone should focus on should be.....

MastershakeJB said:
The architecture seems the closest of all the things to emulate. Seems to be the most similar in comparison to all other consoles. So instead of easy, maybe I should have said easiest.

By that logic, Xbox 360, PS3, and the Wii should all easily emulate each other because they are all PowerPC devices.

Just because they share an architectural similarity does not mean it can be exploited. Furthermore, in emulation, it's always a question of how many cycles of the host CPU per the target device. Pandora doesn't have the specs to meet what is necessary for good DC emulation.

mechanizeddeath said:
I think we should drop the DC and focus on fullspeed Speak & Spell emulation instead. I realize it will be hard, and probably push the Pandora to the limit even with frameskip, but I think it can be done!

I agree and perhaps a string add-on for Fisher Price's See 'n Say. "This is a cow.... mooooooo!"

Atari 2600 would be nice.

ben_monk said:
MastershakeJB said:
The Dreamcast emulator, since the Dreamcast was built on an Arm processor. You could probly port Dreamcast's Quake III and many others almost directly onto the thing with little to no change in code. Remember all them sweet Dreamcast games? I bet they'd all be a snap. Crazy Taxi! Shenmue! Powerstone! Tony Hawk! so so many
In fact, I think it was just an Arm processor @ 200 mghz, nothin more. So it'd be a total snap.

Sorry MastershakeJB, the correct answer was Nintendo 64.

Legend of Zelda? Super Mario 64? Goldeneye? Perfect Dark? Conker's Bad Fur Day? All on a handheld!

And the winner is..................

ben_monk! Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask on a handheld! I've already playd Super Mario 64 on a handheld (the DS version) ,but with analogue sticks it will be way more fun!

I dont think the pandora is powerfull enough to do dreamcast plain and simple ,i have
read up on ARM cpu and yeh i bet thats one fast chip but its basicaly not the cpu
for emulation - porting purposes ,even if there was a perfect running dc emulator
running off of linux with system specs of 600mhz cpu and 128 memory ,and opengl graphics
it still wouldnt port to pandora unless it was writen for ARM and if it was writen for ARM
it would then need to be exclusive for Pandora and other cpu type devices, something
we wont see as the standard desktop dreamcast emulator hasnt even been done properly
yet.

The iPhone/iPod Touch both use ARM processors and PowerVr 3D accelerators, so surely the interest would be there to develop a DC emulator for ARM?

I say a large chunk of the developers fund should be set aside for anyone at least giving it a shot!

Nightwind0 said:
Vorporeal said:
We'll likely see SOME sort of DC emulation, but it will more likely be a proof-of-concept "LOOK I GOT DC RUNNING AT 2SPF!" and not "We now have playable DC on the Pandora".

P.S.: SPF here is not "sun protection factor", but "seconds per frame".

haha seconds per frame. That sucks. :lol:

I don't know exactly how slow it will be, but it's highly unlikely that it will be playable at all. If it is, it would be at the very low end of playability.

I think some people in this thread are getting RISC mixed up with MIPS. Also, porting over every individual Dreamcast game is not only impossible, but doesn't make sense. As much as I'd love to see DC emulation on the Pandora someday, we haven't even seen fully optimized PSX yet or even a whiff of N64. The hardware's great, but it's not god. You gotta walk before you can run, after all. :p

Yeah. it'd be just stupid to focus on dreamcast emulation right now. If we get it, it will take much time and hard work, and right now we need to focus on getting a solid library of apps, emus and games. After we have that, we can always take on the "because we can" projects

I would start with the basics and then work from there right now i would rather see a stable OS and hardware.

The psx-emulation seems to be promising but to emulate the Super-H 4 of the DC is a much harder task.

Sadly, with GP32X still down, I cannot link to the dozen-or-so threads where this has already been hashed and rehashed. I'm sure those of you making "suggestions" about how easy it would be to create a DC emulator for the Pandora are doing so with the best of intentions, but you couldn't be more wrong.

Those few programmers here with the knowledge and experience of actually writing emulators, those who have actually read through Sega's hardware documentation, all agree that it would be very difficult to create a Dreamcast emulator for the Pandora which could achieve playable speeds.

That is the answer.

I believe the current estimate is that the expected result might not be dissimilar to the early builds of Psx4GP2x in ability. That is to say, not quite a slideshow, really really impressive, but unlikely ever to yield a result that's good enough to call playable without a LOT of work, and quite a bit of luck.

We'll likely see SOME sort of DC emulation, but it will more likely be a proof-of-concept "LOOK I GOT DC RUNNING AT 2SPF!" and not "We now have playable DC on the Pandora".

Vorporeal said:

haha seconds per frame. That sucks. :lol:

Back