Problems Ahoy!

AMZOD

Still Fresh
100% Technology noob here, so excuse me if I get some terms wrong.

So, I dropped my Wiz a couple of weeks ago.
After the fall the volume buttons stopped working. Upon finding that out, I could hear things rattling around inside. So I opened it and found these pieces loose.
9s4hmd.jpg

If I were to take a guess, those pieces go on the circuit board like this
25fq0s3.jpg

(black volume buttons not pictured)
But every time I try to put it back together, those pieces come loose. So then, I assumed that they would have to go on the opposite site of the circuit board. I tried putting them in like that. And it's impossible to get them to stay.

So I gave up and just left them in there.

Now, it only turns on when plugged into the computer.
So I tried putting some folded up paper into the battery compartment. Every attempt failed. I couldn't get enough pressure from the paper to push the battery down enough to stay on.
I loved the Wiz and used it all the time before these problems occurred, and I'd love to get it working again.
Any help is appreciated.

at some point someone posted a volume button expose' on the Wiz on these forums. I seem to remember the volume button being just a single piece of plastic and when it breaks it needs to be replaced by another single piece.

You might have been able to just find a stiff piece of plastic the right length and shoved it in there as long as it could swing between vol + and -. If I can dig up that post, I'll try to link it.

That wont fix your battery problem though . . . .

Does the wiz power on when the battery is disconnected but it is plugged into USB? I'm guessing from your description that is the way you are turning it on right now. Have you tried clamping the battery on?

Battery doors are hard to manufacture on a small scale which is probably why the Wiz doesn't have a very good one . . . besides clamps, nothing right now seems to come to mind that would keep the bat in place. I've never tried to take the batter off of mine either so my limited understanding of the situation is probably not an asset.

An electronics Ninja could probably figure out a way to supply the right power with a battery through the USB cord (or some other connector)

I'm thinking it might be easier to try and get a refund.
The problem is that I ordered this from ThinkGeek and the time frame in which I can return the item has passed. Would you know of any alternate route I could take to try for a refund?

A refund ?, On an item you damaged ?. I doubt that is covered under warranty.

Though you could try to pull the wool over their eyes, By saying that it either
came like that or was caused by bad workmanship.

Wish you luck.

Trooper

Refunds come from retailers, so you are probably out of luck. You should investigate getting it repaired through GPH. I think you'll find their contact info on these boards. I bet ThinkGeek could provide information on how to contact them for repair as well.

If you don't want to mess with all that then another option is that someone may want it for parts, since your screen is working, you might get someone to pay you a small price for it. Perhaps there is someone out there who has a broken screen that would like to try and cannibalize yours. I think there is a buy/sell subforum on these boards.

wongojack said:
If you don't want to mess with all that then another option is that someone may want it for parts, since your screen is working, you might get someone to pay you a small price for it. Perhaps there is someone out there who has a broken screen that would like to try and cannibalize yours. I think there is a buy/sell subforum on these boards.

I might look into that.
I think I might try to fix this one more time.
I hate to be Sir Askalot, but would you know of a way to safely remove the circuit board? I've tried lightly tugging but it's snug on there. I'm pretty sure I know how to fix it, I just need to know how to remove the board.

I'm hoping that fixing the volume buttons will fix the battery issue. I have been problems with it randomly shutting off before the not working unless hooked to a charger problem, so that might be what's causing the battery issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
For how to dissasemble the Wiz, look this photos:
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/44871-the-wiz-naked/

You can send to GPH A/S Center in Germany for repairing too.

Hardyx said:

Thanks, that confirms my assumption of where the volume pieces go. I was able to take of the circuit board off last night, and I'm going to attempt to re-attach the parts later this week.

AMZOD said:
Hardyx said:

Thanks, that confirms my assumption of where the volume pieces go. I was able to take of the circuit board off last night, and I'm going to attempt to re-attach the parts later this week.

Uhm, be careful though........judging from the photos you posted (and from my personal experience) you were trying to attach the buttons backwards. They should 'face' the side of the board where the screen is attached, just like the front of the speakers. This means you have to remove the board from the chassis to re-attach them.

Back