Problem With Dc Port...

Colossus

Still Fresh
hey guys long time reader first time poster, my problem is I bought a DC adapter for my gp2x yesterday but whenever I plug in the adapter just to the dc socket without any power my gp2x just dies, it works fine with batteries just with that it dies. any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Colossus. - GP2X F-200 USER

Any information about the DC adapter would be appreciated :)

The adapter must be exactly 3.3V (center negative) and at least 1500mA=1.5A (the more the better)

The center definitely has to be negative but it doesn't have to be exactly 3.3 volts. I think Squidge ran his at 4 volts but I think that was through the battery terminals. I really don't know much about f200s so maybe you shouldn't listen to me... I know my f100 ran fine at 3 volts until I fried my ltsk by putting the supply on backwards.

Colossus said:
Thanks for the help mate.

EDIT: well the adapter is only 3V but is 2A.
That should be fine, but are you sure it's centre negative?

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't really know what centre negative means.

is there any way to check on the packaging or the charger itself? When I bought it it was described as a gameboy charger.

Center negative means that there are 3V between the center and the external ring, not the other way.

There should be a drawing in your charger case of two concentric circles and a minus sign in the inner circle. Sometimes the external circle is just a semicircle and must be marked with a plus sign. Like this: + (* -

3V sounds enough for me since the Gp2x works with two 1.2 batteries. 3.3V is the official number, though, and then the wiser value.

Colossus said:
When I bought it it was described as a gameboy charger.
Uh oh, someone is going to be replacing there LTSK pretty soon...

FYI, Gameboy uses a centre positive connection.

Gah! I think i'll be dumping that charger then! thanks for the help fellas really appreciate it!

Don't buy unofficial adaptor buy the gp2x adaptor they are the best if you buy the unofficial ones they are full of trouble and make sure it has 3v/1a your gba adaptor had 2a that's not right it's bit powerful for the gp2x console.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I seriously need to think hard about what i am posting, As i could be giving someone the wrong advice about a subject i know little or nothing about, Which could or may harm someone or something or otherwise inconvenience them in someway or other.

Please take any advice i give with a tiny pinch of salt, Thank you.

sukhigp said:
Don't buy unofficial adaptor buy the gp2x adaptor they are the best if you buy the unofficial ones they are full of trouble and make sure it has 3v/1a your gba adaptor had 2a that's not right it's bit powerful for the gp2x console.
Sukhigp, you have no idea about the laws of electricity, do you?

No, of course you don't, but knowing nothing about something has never stopped you from giving advice before.

Extra amperage hurts nothing. (Granted, I wouldn't attatch a 20A power supply to a GP2X but 2 or even 5A won't hurt a thing. In fact, 2A might be called for when using a cradle with attatched external hard drives while TV Out and the HW scaler is in use.

Senor Quack talks the truth, you should listen to him some time. The only time you'd want as less amperage as possible is if something shorts out (and lets face it, it is manufactured by GPH :D). In that case, I'd much rather have 1A than 5A flowing through the board, but there are times when you might want 2A, like what has already been discussed.

Senior quack you are wrong, the adaptor needs to be for using hard drives 3v/3a, if you use a adaptor 3v/2a the gp2x will malfunction.

The settings for the gp2x and cradle
1)gp2x adaptor 3v/3a (I have the official adaptor it has these settings written on it).
2)gp2x cradle 5v/3a

sukhigp said:
the adaptor needs to be for using hard drives 3v/3a, if you use a adaptor 3v/2a the gp2x will malfunction.
In what way?

If you going to use gp2x and cradle together and if you connect hard drives,wi-fi dongles etc. you need about 3v/3a for gp2x console otherwise it will malfunction this also recommened by gph.

Thats twice you've said "It will malfunction", but neither time have you said in what way it will malfunction :)

sukhigp said:
1)gp2x adaptor 3v/3a (I have the official adaptor it has these settings written on it).
OK, please read your adapter more accurately if you are quoting these settings. The official adapter reads 3.3V 0-3.0A (set at 2.0A).

Back