Adaptor Problems

DTH

Hi,

Since, i've got my GP2x I have also bought an universal regulated ac/dc adaptor. I have a couple of problems with it.

When I am using it for about an hour it just crashes en the adaptor itself is very hot.
If in only move the plug in gp2x it crashes also :S

Anyone got a problem simular to this?

tia

Hi Danny :D i have a orginaal gp2x adaptor and it works great :D

the output : 3.3v 2.0 A

mayby your Ampere is to low ;)

dutch:
Hey oude rukker :lol: ik heb de orginele adaptor van gp2x ;)
meschien heeft de jouwe wel teweinig Ampere (dit probleem kent ook de Atari lynix)

de output van de orginele adaptor: 3.3 volt en 2.0 A

wat jij had had ik ook met me oude gp32 die adaptor werd ook warm

ik hoor het wel Da Fixer

The crash from the insertion of the plug is due to the fact that all power is lost to the GP2X for a split second when you plug in the adapter. Solution, dont do that with the GP2X running.

The adapter is getting too hot becasue it can't supply enough power (watts) to the GP2X. The offical adapter puts out 6.6 watts max (3.3 volts x 2 Amps). Some say 1 amp is enough. It is probably crashing because of a temperature cut off built into the adapter to prevent fires. You need more power.

Tomorrow I'll grab my DMM from home and actually measure how much current the GP2X draws to put this argument to rest.

Hope you have the reciept for the adapter cause its not gonna cut it for GP2X duty.

Well the adaptor can give 1.5, 3.0 and 4.5, I'm afraid of using 4.5 cus it might fri my 2x. And about the plug that means that I can not play with the 2x normally, cus if I just move the 2x a llitle it can crash.
thanks for the answers btw

Alright,

yeah deffinately dont give the gp2x any more than 3.6 volts. Are you sure your're using the right size plug? I know that sounds dumb but there are like 25 different variations of those little barrle plugs.

I think the gp2x is .65 mm in the center and 2.1 mm on the outside. Could be 2.35mm and .7mm though. See what I mean.

I have one thats white, with two prongs that plug into the cord. The very tip of it is yellow, and it works great. It's an Adaptaplug from Radio Shack I think.

The GP2X should be getting 3.3 volts ideally. Some camera manufacturers specify the same voltage for their camera's and the jack on my kodak looks about the same size so you might want to try something llike that.

Whats up with the GP2X power supplies anyway? Can't you get an offical on anymore? And can anyone with an offical power supply measure their plug?

DTH posted on Oct 9 2006 at 07:06 PM said:
Well the adaptor can give 1.5, 3.0 and 4.5, I'm afraid of using 4.5 cus it might fri my 2x. And about the plug that means that I can not play with the 2x normally, cus if I just move the 2x a llitle it can crash.
thanks for the answers btw
What is the max. current output of your adapter?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, the plug i have in it is the only one that fits, it also has a yellow tip btw.

The maximum output is 12 v.

I think Fishbong means how many Ampere your adaptor can supply.
Look for something like '750mA' on your adaptor.
if the number is below 1000 (or 1 A) that is probably the reason to why your unit hangs.

It says CURRENT: 500mA max. So thats the reason. Now i've got to start looking for the official one.

I've measured the GP2X before several times (search the forums to find the old posts). It uses between 450 and 550mA depending on OS version and whats enabled at the time. When TV output is enabled it can use upto 800mA.

Squidge posted on Oct 10 2006 at 08:19 AM said:
I've measured the GP2X before several times (search the forums to find the old posts). It uses between 450 and 550mA depending on OS version and whats enabled at the time. When TV output is enabled it can use upto 800mA.

Execellent, saves me the trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back