"Prison Break" Port?

Prometheus

Hello all. As you know, I don't normally post in this section much, but I just found a potentially rather addictive-looking game, with source code available (which has already been ported to Dingux), which looks like it might be a good time-killer for the Pandora. You play an escaped prisoner, and you simply have to try to get as far away as possible without the guards catching you.

It's called Prison Break, and if anyone's interested, the source code (and a bit more information) is here. :p (The same place has some other interesting-looking games listed here, too.)

Firstly, thanks very much for giving this a look, slaeshjag. :) I really appreciate it.

slaeshjag said:
Report back how far it gets before crashing/stop doing things. If it runs at all, paste pnd_run.out
I just gave it a try, and it takes a few seconds to start, before briefly displaying a small window (which has the usual decorations, but which has no content - I can see my desktop background where the stuff in it should probably be) in the upper-left corner of the screen, and then almost immediately crashing. The .out file is as follows;

=======================================================================================
PND_SCRIPT : pnd_run.sh
PND_ARGS : -p /media/Pandora/pandora/desktop//prisonbreak-fisrt-test.pnd -e ./prisonbreak -b prisonbreak
PND : /media/Pandora/pandora/desktop//prisonbreak-fisrt-test.pnd
PND_FSTYPE : Squashfs
APPDATADIR : /media/Pandora/pandora/appdata/prisonbreak
APPDD_FSTYPE : vfat
PND_CPUSPEED : <unset>
EXENAME : ./prisonbreak
ARGUMENTS : <unset>
=======================================================================================
[21h23m05 START ]=== Mount the PND ==================================================
[21h23m05 INFO ] Mounting : mount -t squashfs "/dev/loop0" "/mnt/pnd/prisonbreak"
[21h23m05 INFO ] Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/Pandora/pandora/appdata/prisonbreak=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/prisonbreak=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/prisonbreak"
[21h23m06 SUCCESS ]=== Mount the PND ==================================================
[21h23m06 START ]=== Starting the application (./prisonbreak ) ======================
[21h23m07 ERROR ] Fatal error: Could not open graphic file: /mnt/utmp/share/prisonbreak/gfx/font.tga
[21h23m08 FAILED ]=== Starting the application (./prisonbreak ) ======================
[21h23m08 START ]=== uMount the PND =================================================
[21h23m09 INFO ] cleanup done
[21h23m09 SUCCESS ]=== uMount the PND =================================================
Return code is : 3

If it's of any use to know this stuff, the card I'm using is formatted as FAT32, although I'm guessing that that won't really be relevant. :p

Farox said:
Maybe we don't have all of these games available for Pandora because the author is waiting for his Pandora...as stated on About page http://www.geishastu....com/about.html
Cripes, I didn't even notice that. :blink: Should I not have asked about it here?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, just tried the new one, and the behaviour was essentially the same, except the window that briefly opened was black inside, instead of showing through to my desktop as the previous build did. Also, Thunar seemed to become very unresponsive after running it, for some odd reason (although I don't know if that was just Thunar being weird or not) - pnd_run.out below;

PND_SCRIPT : pnd_run.sh
PND_ARGS : -p /media/Pandora/pandora/desktop//prisonbreak-attempt2.pnd -e ./run -b prisonbreak
PND : /media/Pandora/pandora/desktop//prisonbreak-attempt2.pnd
PND_FSTYPE : Squashfs
APPDATADIR : /media/Pandora/pandora/appdata/prisonbreak
APPDD_FSTYPE : vfat
PND_CPUSPEED : <unset>
EXENAME : ./run
ARGUMENTS : <unset>
[21h48m59 START ]=== Mount the PND ==================================================
[21h49m00 INFO ] Mounting : mount -t squashfs "/dev/loop0" "/mnt/pnd/prisonbreak"
[21h49m00 INFO ] Mounting the Union FS : mount -t aufs -o exec,noplink,dirs="/media/Pandora/pandora/appdata/prisonbreak=rw+nolwh":"/mnt/pnd/prisonbreak=rr" none "/mnt/utmp/prisonbreak"
[21h49m00 SUCCESS ]=== Mount the PND ==================================================
[21h49m00 START ]=== Starting the application (./run ) ==============================
[21h49m02 ERROR ] Fatal error: Could not open graphic file: /mnt/utmp/prisonbreak/share/prisonbreak/gfx/font.tga
[21h49m02 FAILED ]=== Starting the application (./run ) ==============================
[21h49m03 START ]=== uMount the PND =================================================
[21h49m03 INFO ] cleanup done
[21h49m03 SUCCESS ]=== uMount the PND =================================================
Return code is : 3

That one works perfectly, albeit windowed (I gather that the other versions are full-screen). Do you still need the pnd_run.out for this one?

(What a test of the thumbs this game is. :lol: )

Okay, modified the run-script to set the correct env-var so it saves stuff in appdata. Apparently, it supports config files. Please run this and look in the appdata directory after a config file (you might need to turn on "show hidden files"). Try to make that config file fit the pandora as good as possible and paste it here together with exactly what is was called and exactly where it was.

Nothing gets written to appdata, unfortunately. :( (I even checked the one on the NAND, in case it went to the wrong place for whatever reason.)

Cripes, I didn't even notice that. :blink: Should I not have asked about it here?
Don't worry .....as a Female Pandora owner, you could ask whatever you want :p .........indeed thank's for suggesting this game. ;)

Also thank's to sleashjag for the fast port/debugging work.

Aspect ratio is fine, as is everything else! Wow, there's an eye-boggling amount of searchlights on-screen with it running like this. :lol: (I'm not sure if that's affecting the difficulty level or not. I gather that the Dingux and GP2X versions are 320x240, as was this build when it was running in a window, so there's less room to run in those.)

Only one issue to report: The mouse-pointer remains visible. That's the only thing wrong, though!

EDIT: I love the icon, by the way. :p

I hate to say this (I was just coming back to edit my previous post), but I just tried the Windows build in WINE, and it looks like it's meant to stay at 320x240. I don't suppose there's any way of the Pandora port running full-screen with this doubled to fit, is there?

I'll test the mouse pointer fix now. :D

EDIT: Yep, the pointer is gone. :)

Ah, ok. It works great as-is, I must say - all of those searchlights! :blink:

Thanks so much for porting this - I'm very grateful. :)

Erm, I must admit, I don't know how to do that. The screenshot script I set up doesn't seem to work outside of the OS. I'd be happy to take them, though - any pointers? :p

EDIT: Don't worry - I've figured it out! Going to get some shots now.

EDIT 2: How are these?

PrisonBreak1.png

PrisonBreak2.png

Back