GP2X Previous Development Project

My interest in the GP2X is twofold - First, I have a strong affinity for good 2D platforms because I still love a good game, regardless of the graphics

I don't quite understand people comparing 2D with 3D graphics this way. This is a biased man who loves 2D game speaking, but actual art details and refinements on the best 3D games are not even at the same level as the best hand-drawn 2D arts. Maybe, by the next generation, the game will be closer, but even the best looking 3D games nowadays lacks the artistic touches that many well drawn 2D games have.
Not sure if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me there, but FWIW, I completely agree with you. :) 3D graphics often look... wrong... for certain games and applications. I did not mean to be disparaging to the quality of 2D graphics with my comment. I only made the implicit comparison in my post because I know there are so many people who won't even give 2D graphics a chance anymore. It's gotta have whizz-bang 3D razzmatazz or else they won't even consider whether it's a good game. Which is why I appreciate any system that is likely to have a number of 2D games for it, because good ones are getting harder and harder to find, which is really too bad. I personally can't wait to see some of the gorgeous hand-drawn and pixel-art things people are able to put on the GP2X screen.

So, pardon if I have been misunderstood. English is not my first language; I was raised in the Deep South. ;)

But this is all really tangential to the purpose of this thread... To try and stay semi-on-topic, I will say that after having worked with the GBA and gotten to know its limitations, I am looking forward to a system with a little more graphical oomph. (Not to say that, with the right tricks, you can't push some amazing things through the GBA... Riviera produces graphics that simply defy conventional wisdom about the color limitations of the GBA, for example.) There are so many great tricks that can be done to 2D art to further enhance the beauty and immersion of a game, and I anticipate games being able to employ some of them on the GP2X to great effect.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a software engineer for Star Micronics, in the small printer section, mostly writing very boring drivers, simple utilities and so on, usually in C or C++. The last project was very interesting to me since the company pretty much trusted me and one other guy to develop the new product from our own concepts. It was a massive software project and has turned out to be our most successful product launch yet :D

I also get to travel to Japan a lot, which is really cool :)

Always fancied a GP32 but never quite got around to buying one. My fiancee saw me getting excited when I discovered the GP2X and placed a preorder on the same day as a present :wub:

I haven't got much in the way of games under my belt, a few Amiga Workbench games (BlockOut can still be found on Aminet), one commercial game (which was a big flop) and lots of half finished GBA demo's.

I want to start with something small enough to see through to the end, so my first project is going to be a clone of a cool old French, Amstrad CPC game called Croco Magneto. After that, I'm thinking of looking into what it would take to port the Allegro game lib as I feel it would be a big bonus for all the people on these forums who want to learn C and write some simple games (I think is much more beginner friendly than SDL, but still very capable).

I also have some long standing urges to learn ARM assembly and to write a Wipeout/F-Zero type racer. But one project at a time, I don't want to end up with a load of half finished GP2X demo's too :rolleyes:

I would have posted here a few days ago had I not been really busy lately. Anyway I have some game dev experience. My first and biggest complete game is The Magic Land that I deved in Dark Basic Pro. never sold much but you can find the details on the official site but here're some direct links to some shots:

http://www.digitalawakening.net/shots/tml/tml21.jpg
http://www.digitalawakening.net/shots/tml/tml22.jpg
http://www.digitalawakening.net/shots/tml/tml29.jpg
http://www.digitalawakening.net/shots/tml/tml30.jpg
http://www.digitalawakening.net/shots/tml/tml33.jpg

My 2nd completed (more or less) game is Goo Lab that I did for mobile phones using Omega Basic. However OB was and still is too buggy to complete games and it seems completly dead now. My first GP2X project would probably to port this with some new graphics etc. Here's the official site and here're some shots:

gl2.jpg
gl6.jpg
gl7.jpg

I'm currently workin on a web based and free RPG that mixes fantasy with a bit of western placed in a large city. It's still quite early in development but I hope to open up public testing this month.

For GP2X I have at least 4 games I want to make. A puzzle/labyrinth game, a boxing game, a turn based strategy game and a card game. The strategy and card games will have multiplay on a single unit while the boxing game may have WiFi multiplay if someone can manage to get that working on GP2X.

Back