Power Supply

Keith

Still Fresh
Hi, we have purchased 40 GP2X systems for teaching purposes on our games programming courses at University of Teesside. Unfortunately there is a shortage of power supplies and so we could not get any. I fear what the cost of batteries is going to be! I understand some people have been using off the shelf power supplies. I was wondering if anyone know of anywhere I can get the correct power supplies? Thanks a lot in advance.

I just got a multi voltage adaptor from .... Comet I think it was.

At 3V it can supply 1600 mA which is more than enough for the GP2X

just make sure that the polarity is set to the right setting.

Hello there,

Also on another note try to get one that is REGULATED, which means it will alway output 3v (its filtered) if not you might the unpleasant surprise that I got with my GP32 I blown some part of the power circuitry 8-(.

Usually the power supply that are regulated will have a mention on it, that they are regulated/filtered output. If they are no mention then most probably it is unregulated. Also you can easily test it with a volt meter, like mine when I put it at 3v I was usually getting around 4.5v without any load.

Argos - Masterplug 1200mA Cat No. 982/9701 £7.99

I have this one and it works fine.
As pokeparadox says check the polarity.

So long as it can output 3.3v (as recommended, ensure it does not drift high, verify with a multimeter), center-negative, and can supply at least close to 2A, ideally more (you won't hurt it by exceeding the current rating, just the voltage.)

Great use for the machine, by the way! You should point the students here to show off any particularly-interesting creations they might put together ..

Hi, thanks for all the replies. The Argos 7.99 one sounds likely.

Epicenter - you will soon be bombarded by students I suspect as I am directing them here! Module starts in about a month so hold on :)

edit: can't spell!

Maplin has one regulated adaptor (Product code VN10L) max. 1200 mA with output voltage of 3, 4.5, 6, 7.5, 9 & 12V. Sale Price @£9.99 until 3 Oct 2006.

Depending how convenient it is to have the devices plugged in for operation, you might consider a few 8 cell AA chargers with NiMH batteries, but I would worry that the battery contacts in the GP2X might become problematic (some report they can be easily bent, and that's just another thing you don't want to have to deal with in lab).

If you have a lot of freedom with equipment setup and the room arrangement is suitable, you could also look at using a few high capacity power supplies, and have the EE department (if you have one) build the cabling :)

Something like this would easily power 20 GP2X units: link

Also, if there ever becomes a problem of the GP2X growing legs and wandering off, you could consider removing the battery terminals if you use the AC adapters exclusively.

If you get ones in the argos style be carefull. It's very easy to fit the tip the wrong way and get the wrong polarity. The voltage selector switches are also a potential problem as they can easily end up set to the wrong voltage.
I'd think in a teaching environment you will end up with fried units using those adapters. You can of course disable the switches and replace the swappable tips with a soldered on socket.

"...for teaching purposes on our games programming courses..."

I think it's a safe bet they'll be doing game related programming :p

Can't wait to see a flood of new developers, but you do understand that he means that there's going to be 40 newbies (maybe n00bs) all arriving a month from now. That day is going to be a flood of a million of threads we've seen before.

Can't wait to see what they come up with. Hopefully they're all into FOSS as much as most of us.

Well... I do a games technology course, and most of the people that started when I start are all very clued up and non- |\|00Bish. These are also the ones that haven't yet dropped out, incidentally...

Basically, I wouldn't expect all of them to be noobs...

michaeljustman posted on Sep 6 2006 at 07:20 PM said:
Can't wait to see a flood of new developers, but you do understand that he means that there's going to be 40 newbies (maybe n00bs) all arriving a month from now. That day is going to be a flood of a million of threads we've seen before.
Could be a good thing though.
Chances are that they'll come up with a load of new questions, as they're training to be developers & not just users.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back