Power Problems

darkstorm classic

Still Fresh
If I plug in the charger I got with my pandora (/w the travel adapter), the pandora does not charge(or at least I don't get the light).

If I plug in my psp charger, it automatically turns the pandora on, and the red charging light comes on, and if I then shut it down, it automatically turns back on.

Can anyone help?

Not sure about your Pandora charger - maybe it's broken.

However the way you describe the PSP charger working seems to the the way the Pandora has been designed. A little strange, most of my other rechargable devices are happy to stay turned off while they charge, but the Pandora wants to turn on when you introduce power.

Maybe this is something that might be addressed in a firmware update later on if people find they don't like this feature. Otherwise it may be functionality that's at such a low level there is no way that it can be modified and we'll just have to live with it.

It has been stated by OpenPandora that the Pandora must be on when charging, and also that many MANY products also turn on when charging (smart phones etc.) but they often have a "minimal on" mode to charge rather than the "full on".

It is hoped that eventually the Pandora will gain a "Minimal On" feature, but it wasn't possible to impliment that in time for shipping.

Cheers for that guys. I just didn't realise this

Monk said:
It has been stated by OpenPandora that the Pandora must be on when charging, and also that many MANY products also turn on when charging (smart phones etc.) but they often have a "minimal on" mode to charge rather than the "full on".

It is hoped that eventually the Pandora will gain a "Minimal On" feature, but it wasn't possible to impliment that in time for shipping.

was the case, so things should be ok.

Though I'll have to email OP for a new charger(and stylus, which wasn't in the box) :D

Last edited by a moderator:
As said, turning on is the normal charging behaviour. You may want to contact the OP team to get your charger replaced.
I've had some problems with other travel adapters in the past, I suppose you could try wiggling it a bit, and make sure it's plugged in correctly. (See http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/53618-i-got-it/page__view__findpost__p__860258, and the post above for an illustration of a wrong way. :p
Edit: Very :ph34r: 'd

Edit:Edit: Isn't the stylus in a slot somewhere on the case? Sorry if you knew, just the "wasn't in the box" wording makes me wonder if you expected it to come separately.

Talking about Power, I received my new battery (that was quick, they sent it yesterday!), the pandora has been plugged in for more than an hour now and still no light. Can this somehow be normal? And, yes, the battery is inserted properly. And yes, I've tried with a usb-mini cable. I've got the feeling it's gonna end up on ebay before the end of the week-end....

Murff said:
Talking about Power, I received my new battery (that was quick, they sent it yesterday!), the pandora has been plugged in for more than an hour now and still no light.
Just putting in the battery alone should get you a green light. Hooking up the charger should give you a red one along side it. You're getting neither of these?

Nope, I get absolutely nothing. I had a similar problem before and left the battery out and the psu unplugged for like 6 hours and then it worked again. I've been told it was more likely a battery problem, so I ordered another one, got it today, same problem. Now the pandora doesn't even boot up on psu only.

The PSU was working yesterday though. And I've tried usb-mini as told by EvilDragon and it doesn't work either....

Murff said:
The PSU was working yesterday though. And I've tried usb-mini as told by EvilDragon and it doesn't work either....

You were the one who mentioned that your Pandora was freezing on PSU, right? That could have been caused by your PSU dieing and not giving stable supply to the system.

-God Ginrai

fusion_power said:
I thought OPT uses high-quality PSUs. But it sounds more like crappy China 1-Dollar stuff. :(

Even good batches can have a few defects.

-God Ginrai

I'm a bit confused though, usb-mini should give me something right? at least a light or some sign of life?
Oh, look at that, I just put the new battery back in and plug it and it works :blink:
How long for, I don't know. I'm wondering if anyone has had any similar problems?

ps: by the way, sorry for all of you out there getting really bored of my issues....

I don't think USB mini can give you a strong enough current to run the Pandora without a battery.

Back