Power Drain Differs On Two Pandoras....

jonlad1

Hey guys,

I know this has been brought up before and apologies in advance. I am lucky enough to have two Pandys here, a one nubber and a normal super two nub version.

They are both currently sat on my desk powered on and have been for 20 minutes, the one nubber is at 91% 15:10 remaining. The two nub 93% 10:14 remaining.

The two nub battery runs out a lot quicker than the one nub - even when its turned off. I have seen it go down 20-30% in one night turned off (yes, I have shut it down properly ;P)

Now, they are both running HF4, wifi off, brightness on the same level, all have the same items in startup (only 1 thing), I have 3 batteries and they are all fine in the one nub but all act the same in the two nub.

Its really annoying to have one run out of battery quicker than another - especially when one is the better model ie two nub.

Am I missing something? How could one have worse battery drain?

Cheers guys :)

is it the same if you switch teh batteries around?

could it be that the nubs circuitry drains power? which would explain this and the battery draining while off (<-- yes that's probably quite a long shot)

It is mate, tried all three batteries in both Pandys. Its real weird and annoying. :blink:

Obviously the nubs harvest kinetic energy to supply the battery with extra power as you game. Since the one-nubber has a nub less, it replenishes it's battery at a lower pace, therefore causing the battery to drain faster.

I counter that: I've got a one nubber and found that I don't use the nubs at all, really, yet my battery is still 1% drop overnight when off.

jonlad1 said:
Hey guys,

I know this has been brought up before and apologies in advance. I am lucky enough to have two Pandys here, a one nubber and a normal super two nub version.

They are both currently sat on my desk powered on and have been for 20 minutes, the one nubber is at 91% 15:10 remaining. The two nub 93% 10:14 remaining.

The two nub battery runs out a lot quicker than the one nub - even when its turned off. I have seen it go down 20-30% in one night turned off (yes, I have shut it down properly ;P)

Now, they are both running HF4, wifi off, brightness on the same level, all have the same items in startup (only 1 thing), I have 3 batteries and they are all fine in the one nub but all act the same in the two nub.

Its really annoying to have one run out of battery quicker than another - especially when one is the better model ie two nub.

hohum, I have the same problem.

Take the battery out and it will stay at 100% for aaaages. Stick it in the Pandora and it drops 25% a night. Is this a faulty Pandora, or something I should put up with. I thought it was the battery so got a replacement but it looks to be a Pandora issue.

I now take the battery out when I switch it off which is not really the best solution :( I've tried different ways of putting the battery in etc - anybody know how I could fix myself or is it a sendbackjob?

ah, the joys of early adoption :)

Last edited by a moderator:
sparkymark said:
jonlad1 said:
Hey guys,

hohum, I have the same problem.

Take the battery out and it will stay at 100% for aaaages. Stick it in the Pandora and it drops 25% a night. Is this a faulty Pandora, or something I should put up with. I thought it was the battery so got a replacement but it looks to be a Pandora issue.

I now take the battery out when I switch it off which is not really the best solution :( I've tried different ways of putting the battery in etc - anybody know how I could fix myself or is it a sendbackjob?

ah, the joys of early adoption :)
If you're a bit hackish you can install a switch that blocks battery power access to the Pandora so you can flip that switch to turn off all power, and stop the clock etc. That might be useful but I'd keep it on at daytime so I don't have to keep syncing the clock.

My clock on the two nub (the dodgy one) wont keep time. When I set the correct time, the screen goes blank and then I have to wake the screen up again. When I switch off, it loses time completely. The one nub works perfectly. I honestly think something is dodg inside....

jonlad1 said:
When I set the correct time, the screen goes blank and then I have to wake the screen up again.
This is an overzealous screen saver. You change the time, the system says "hey, it's been more than 10 minutes since the last time anything was touched" and kicks on the screen saver. Both should be doing the exact same thing, if they've been updated to HF4.

jonlad1 said:
When I switch off, it loses time completely. The one nub works perfectly. I honestly think something is dodg inside....
Now that is odd. So the two nub one drains too much when off, while the single nub doesn't drain but loses its clock every night. Can you explain what it means to "lose time complete"? Like, it resets back to May whatever (or maybe it goes all the way back to January 1st, 1970)?

^ Stan, I'm not too sure if I'm reading you right, but I think that the one nub neither drains the battery madly or loses any time, but the two-nub one does both.

WizardStan said:
This is an overzealous screen saver. You change the time, the system says "hey, it's been more than 10 minutes since the last time anything was touched" and kicks on the screen saver. Both should be doing the exact same thing, if they've been updated to HF4.

Both are running HF4 final. The one nubber has the correct time, correct time sticks after being rebooted and doesnt give a black screen when changing time. The two nubber is the one that wont keep time/screen goes black when changing time/loses time when switched off/rebooted.

Now that is odd. So the two nub one drains too much when off, while the single nub doesn't drain but loses its clock every night. Can you explain what it means to "lose time complete"? Like, it resets back to May whatever (or maybe it goes all the way back to January 1st, 1970)?

The two nubber drains fast when its on also. Example I turned both on last night, one nub was showing 92% and two nub was showing 96%. After about half an hour the two nub was showing 89% and the one nub was on 92%. Both has nothing running/wifi off etc.

At these two intervals when I checked the %, the one nubber always had a higher battery remaining time than the two nubber - even when it had a lower % than the two nubber.

Loses time - after reboot, does not keep the time that I set previously, before rebooting. Date seems to be ok, this hasnt changed.

Ah, whoops. Sorry, I misread something somewhere and thought the single nub was having the clock weirdness. Nevermind, if the double nub is having both problems, then we may only have one place to look.

I'm still not sure I understand what you mean by "loses time" though. Like, it always restarts at the same time? You restart and it says some HH:MM which is wrong, you correct it, but then shut down and restart and it is back to HH:MM? Or does it maintain relative time, off by the same number of hours?

If you open a terminal and type
Code:
/sbin/hwclock --show --utc
/sbin/hwclock --show --localtime
date
how does the output of each line compare? Both before setting the correct time immediately after a reboot, and after setting the correct time.

I'll have a crack at this when I get home.

I'm not sure if it changes back to a specific time though.

I'll let you know, cheers for the help

Back