Power Consumption

jottt said:
Na-Noo said:
Monk said:
I should open a bait shop, the number of cans full of worms you find around here. I'm just interjecting that the Pandora is advertised and sold as a 600MHz device - so as far as I and the sales literature for the final product are concerned, the "default" clock rate is 600MHz. If they're going to be shipping it at 500MHz... I'll just start tying some hooks now, shall I?
I've actually discussed this very issue myself.
Although OPT didn't reply, the replies I did get was that it's clever marketing which I still disagree with. But I'm pretty sure OPT guarantee it too 600Mhz at OPP3, but it's still besides the point as to what it's default speed is, and why it confuses people. So I'll just agree to disagree.

It's actually 600+ wich reminds me of good old Athlon XP 3200+ ratings :) By the way...who canned all the poor little worms? I say free them!
Haha, yea I remember when amd they wanted to get away from purely a Mhz rating where they were getting stomped by intel even though their processors where pretty close even though they ran at a slower speed.
But that wasn't a Mhz rating it was an equivalence rating.

600+ implies to me that the default is 600, but can go faster (not a default of 500). That's why I usually say it's guaranteed to run at 600.5Mhz :lol:

Time for me to put the lid back on my can of worms though ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
kuru said:
So, basically, fuck thank you very much for using (recent?) coypyrighted music in the clip, so it's not friggin watchable in Germany.

Huh? What is with German censorship laws? I faintly recall an ED video a while back where he had to blur Quake. Is there some sort of oppressive government or something over there?

Pity about that, the no speed limit thing and lower drinking age was a step in the right direction... :p

AquaAnalogue said:
kuru said:
So, basically, fuck thank you very much for using (recent?) coypyrighted music in the clip, so it's not friggin watchable in Germany.

Huh? What is with German censorship laws? I faintly recall an ED video a while back where he had to blur Quake. Is there some sort of oppressive government or something over there?

Pity about that, the no speed limit thing and lower drinking age was a step in the right direction... :p
Youtube would display a German message instead of the video saying sth like "this clip is not available in your country, it contains material of sony entertainment"

That said, I figured it out anyway.

/Edit: Geez, that's over web radio and it's not a line copy. I can just think they let a music recognition program crawl the videos' audio tracks. There's stuff like that for mobile phones, seems to make sense.

AquaAnalogue said:
kuru said:

Yes, Germany has a few laws that are based around the censoring and/or banning of certain videogames. If I remember correctly, Quake 1, 2 and 3 are banned in Germany. Quake 4 was released in a censored form, without the infamous "Strogification" scene.

This website seems to confirm my memories. I will try to find the official German government-created list and post it here.

Hopefully we can get to a point where we can have cpu/voltage scaling the way the N900 does. It's got a puny 1320mAh battery and I wish it was slightly larger, but still.. with the stock kernel I'm on wi-fi all day long, with skype, gtalk and a couple other things always connected (as in: ready to accept incoming stuff). I charge every second day or so and could probably squeeze it one day more if pressed.
From what I've seen about the so-called 'overclocking' user-built kernels it can get even better than with the stock kernel. Something like that, with a 4000+ mAh battery.. that would be great. (And no 3G radio to suck battery either..)

Well, the OS defaults at 500MHz at the moment, though 600MHz+ is working on ALL Pandoras.

We could increase the default speed to 600MHz, but what use would that be?
The OS runs fluent at that speed, so switching to 600MHz would make battery time shorter but you won't notice a speed increase.
Apps and games can change the speed when you run them, as can you do manually using a tool, so I don't see a reason to increase the default speed :)

EvilDragon said:
Well, the OS defaults at 500MHz at the moment, though 600MHz+ is working on ALL Pandoras.

The OS runs fluent at that speed, so switching to 600MHz would make battery time shorter but you won't notice a speed increase.
Apps and games can change the speed when you run them, as can you do manually using a tool, so I don't see a reason to increase the default speed :)
Perhaps if you wanted to listen to music, while surfing the web, while running other tasks? :p

Thats no reason to change the default speed. The new kernel should allow you to set max MHZ and scale the cpu when ever needed. Just have to wait...

EvilDragon said:

Your mis-interpenetrating the point ED.
I don't care what the default speed is, it's just that people get confused by what it says on the main site as the specs for the Pandora compared to what we discuss, and so they always refer to web site (even happened in this thread), which in my eyes is misleading. I know I've been told by people am I trying to loose you business by pointing this out before, but that's not how I see it. It could easily be worded, 500Mhz (User/App selectable 600Mhz+ !)

I would like to see just how much difference there is between 5 and 600 in terms of battery life though, is the difference minutes or hours? I doubt it's a great deal. Again I don't actually care what the default is when it ships as I'm going to see what I feel is best for me, this is all about what the site says is the default and what it actually is (as how I and most people would probably read it as)

And before anyone says would I prefer you changing the site or get on with more important things, I'm just saying this comes up a lot and confuses people, and how people in the past attributed it to clever marketing :lol: , no more no less.

quote from Ed)

Apps and games can change the speed when you run them, as can you do manually using a tool, so I don't see a reason to increase the default speed

I don't understand what you are talking about Ed ? so you say the OS will not run any different if the pandora is clocked higher than 500mhz ,there would be no difference at all ? - is it becase the cpu ramps up only when the extra speed is requred via software or is it that over when you clock it higher there is no difference as the OS runs at a set speed ? i find this strange to be honest ,theres always room to overclock or clock to the higher default ,anyway as i had asked before ,i would want the cpu to always be running at the highest possible clock speed so i can get the most speed all of the time so would this be possible ?

What i really mean to say is ,can scale be disabled ? so we get constant ???mhz

Wootson said:
AquaAnalogue said:
kuru said:

Yes, Germany has a few laws that are based around the censoring and/or banning of certain videogames. If I remember correctly, Quake 1, 2 and 3 are banned in Germany. Quake 4 was released in a censored form, without the infamous "Strogification" scene.

This website seems to confirm my memories. I will try to find the official German government-created list and post it here.

Huh. Who knew the Germans could be such Nazis?

Hey, where am I going, and why am I in a handbasket?

I don't understand the whole 'but the website says 600MHz' debate. The device is capable, within factory/vendor specs, of achieving 600MHz, ergo that's what the site says. Other than that, the desktop may be running at 12MHz, if that's sufficient for it, and there's nothing wrong about that. Actually, the lower the clock a program can get by, the better! That's a darn handheld after all, not a dragster.

Recall how Sony were selling their handheld advertised as '333MHz CPU' for a long time before any commercial software on it was allowed to use that clock.

The debate (well my one) is simple. If you go and buy a cpu that is advertised as 3Ghz, you don't expect that it defaults at 2.5 and you overclock it to get it to the advertised speed. That is where the confusion comes from.

Specs are there to tell you what your getting, otherwise why even put a speed on there?

I guess this could just be a semantics/point of view thing.

Na-Noo said:
The debate (well my one) is simple. If you go and buy a cpu that is advertised as 3Ghz, you don't expect that it defaults at 2.5 and you overclock it to get it to the advertised speed. That is where the confusion comes from.

Specs are there to tell you what your getting, otherwise why even put a speed on there?

If you go and buy a CPU for your computer, you can't change its max clock speed with the flip of a switch while it's running.

WizardStan said:
Na-Noo said:

If you go and buy a CPU for your computer, you can't change its max clock speed with the flip of a switch while it's running.
Not quite sure what your point is there?
Or you saying fact that it's easy to change means it's ok to confuse the situation?
From my point of view that's a BIGGER selling point. If you saw example of how I think it could be written on site for clarity.
Anyway like I said I'm putting lid back on my tin of can of worms, as I didn't want to get into this, but can be hard not to reply on here sometimes :D
(So don't think I'm being rude as I except that it's dithering views)

Edit: PS damn you Monk for baiting me with this can of worms :p

Na-Noo said:

Okay. It's really easy, actually.
We assure that ALL Pandoras do run at least with 600MHz and most even higher.
That's what 600+ means.

However, it still doesn't make sense using a higher default clock if the OS runs fine with a lower one. It wouldn't make things faster but eat more battery.

Also, if you buy a 400W PC Power Supply, that doesn't mean it always eats 400W.
It just says it can provide a MAXIMUM of 400W.
It wouldn't make sense if it would always eat up 400W.
And it's the same here: It can do at least 600 MHz, probably more. But it doesn't mean it necessarily always have to run at that speed.

BTW: If you buy a car that can do an advertised speed of 200km/h, do you ALWAYS intend to drive full speed? :p

Last edited:
Gusarapo said:
It makes sense for me. Nowadays I own a desktop with 3GHz processor but usually it is running underclocked.
I both underclock and overclock my stuff, dependant on it's use. I'm sure that's not uncommon

Na-Noo said:
Gusarapo said:
It makes sense for me. Nowadays I own a desktop with 3GHz processor but usually it is running underclocked.
I both underclock and overclock my stuff, dependant on it's use. I'm sure that's not uncommon

Yea, and that is what I understood reading the EvilDragon's post. :)
You have a 600MHz processor but they are shipping it underclocked and you could overclock to 600MHz+ (I don't know how much from 600MHz) or underclock it.

Cya

Na-Noo said:
Or you saying fact that it's easy to change means it's ok to confuse the situation?
I wouldn't use the word "ok", just understandable. I can accept that someone (OPT specifically) would see a dimmer switch that can be turned up with ease as fulfilling their advertisement of a light of specific lumens, even if the dimmer switch comes preset to half power (to use an analogy that doesn't involve cars or food)

Back