Power Adaptor For Usa

pspman354

Still Fresh
i live in the usa, so do i need to order the power adapter for my country, or will the charger work fine by itself????

My understanding is that most of us have gotten a switching power supply which comes with an adapter relevant to our country of residence. I suspect you won't have any problems with this.

Additionally, an official, original PSP power supply will also work fine. Emphasis on the official and the original - beware of fakes.

Prometheus said:
My understanding is that most of us have gotten a switching power supply which comes with an adapter relevant to our country of residence. I suspect you won't have any problems with this.

Additionally, an official, original PSP power supply will also work fine. Emphasis on the official and the original - beware of fakes.

so the psp charger has the same voltage and fits on the pandora?

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Correct. I use a PSP charger exclusively now. It seems to work a tad better, and has a much longer cord than the Pandora charger.

My Pandora came with a EU power brick and a USA plug adapter.

Amazon sells the Sony PSP adapters for $15.

This probably seems obvious, but a search of the forum and wiki had been fruitless:

Which way around is the travel adapter (to convert for a US outlet) supposed to be plugged in? With the ground plug on towards the side with the "CE", or the side with the "GS"? Does it matter?

It does matter. You aren't the first person to ask. There was a picture of which way it was supposed to go, but I don't know where it went. It won't hurt if you plug it in wrong, so try it one way, see if the charging light turns on when you plug it in. If not, try the other way.

http://pandorawiki.org/Image:power_uk.png
Here is a pic of the UK charger/adaptor. (you didn't miss it, it's new)
I don't know what the US adaptor looks like. You want the terminals which are in line with the power pins, not the earth pin (or whatever you call it over there)

That's weird - I have to plug my charger into the plug-adapter the other way around from that picture. :blink:

Prometheus said:
That's weird - I have to plug my charger into the plug-adapter the other way around from that picture. :blink:
what? with a UK adaptor?

tsh said:
http://pandorawiki.org/Image:power_uk.png
Here is a pic of the UK charger/adaptor. (you didn't miss it, it's new)
I don't know what the US adaptor looks like. You want the terminals which are in line with the power pins, not the earth pin (or whatever you call it over there)

I guessed that much. What was confusing me, and I'm not sure if it's cleared up by that photo, is which pin goes to which prong. Looking at the label on the charger, on one side it says "CE", and on the other it says "GS". The adapter can plug in so the ground (or as you guys call it "earth") prong is on the side with the GS, or the other way around, with the ground towards the CE. I wasn't sure which is right.

WizardStan said:
It does matter. You aren't the first person to ask. There was a picture of which way it was supposed to go, but I don't know where it went. It won't hurt if you plug it in wrong, so try it one way, see if the charging light turns on when you plug it in. If not, try the other way.

Ah, thank you. That was may main concern. I assume it just wouldn't work the wrong way around, but I didn't want to risk it.

After posting that question I remembered my roommate has a PSP, so it's charging with that for now.

tsh said:
180 or 90 degrees rotated? Neither make much sense to me...
180 - like a "mirror" of the position it's in in that photograph, so to speak. :p

emcee said:
I guessed that much. What was confusing me, and I'm not sure if it's cleared up by that photo, is which pin goes to which prong. Looking at the label on the charger, on one side it says "CE", and on the other it says "GS". The adapter can plug in so the ground (or as you guys call it "earth") prong is on the side with the GS, or the other way around, with the ground towards the CE. I wasn't sure which is right.

Since the plug is not polarised, it should not matter. These plugs are designed for Euro sockets, where 2 pins is common (actually, US is the same I think), and the plug can go in either way round. The confusion with these adaptors is that there is a smaller hole making it possible to rotate the charger by 90 degrees, and connect to 'air' and ground'
Mine certainly functions either way, and the input is AC, so can't tell the difference.

tsh said:
Since the plug is not polarised, it should not matter. These plugs are designed for Euro sockets, where 2 pins is common (actually, US is the same I think), and the plug can go in either way round. The confusion with these adaptors is that there is a smaller hole making it possible to rotate the charger by 90 degrees, and connect to 'air' and ground'
Mine certainly functions either way, and the input is AC, so can't tell the difference.

Ok, thank you. Here in the US, I'll occasionally come across a plug with only two identical prongs, but the majority have a third ground prong and/or one prong larger than the other (polarized) so it can only be plugged in one way.

Back