Power Adapters

bourbon

Website
Visit site
I have noticed that a lot of people have been asking question about what power adapters to use so I thought that I shoud make a post that will tell you what to look for. Ok first you should look for a regulated DC 3 volt 300mA for non-lit, 500mA for Blu, power adapter that dose not have a veriable voltage setting, it dosent matter the polarity( this will be discussed later)so just find one with those specifications. Also if you have a power supply that is the same except that it is unregulated(such as a game boy adapter)it will work just that there will lines on the screen like the refresh rate is off this is caused by small power fluctuations ¡¡¡¡¡¡¡THIS WILL NOT HARM YOUR GP32!!!!!!!.

Ok so you have found your power supply, double check that it is regulated DC 3 volt 300mA for non-lit, 500mA for Blu, power supply also it should have a small plug which the tip should be a yellow plastic, well that is the way it is in america. Ok now for the important part look on the transformer(the part that plugs in to the wall), you will see some thing like this (it also may say polarity and show theas): +-(-) or +-(*-- yes it is crude but it should look some thing like the 2 that I just made, they mean that the out side of the plug is positive and the inside is negitive that is the way it should be have a look at your gp32 next to the DC in jack and you will see the same thing now if it is the same as the one on the transformer your good to go. If not then you will have to cut the wires to the plug and splice them backwards and that will reverce the polarity.

Bourbon

EDIT: Had wrong amps marked down :unsure: yeah yeah yeah im stupe :p and thak you trooper :) .

markusdragon posted on Dec 28 2004 at 09:36 AM said:
Kaboom?

More like pop, sizzle, fizz......

I dont know why companies dont put a regulator on electronics these days. My lego mindstorm doesnt even tell you the polarity, because the regulator built into it makes it not matter, and, although I've never tried it, everyone says you can throw a wide rage of voltage at it with out hurting anything

Last edited by a moderator:
OOOKay, the sticker behind BLU+ says "Adapter (2V 500mA)... And the place for the plug, with the + and -, says 3V.... I did already run it with 3V, though... I assume, if adapter is plugged, it takes the juice from the adapter, even if batteries are present.

Also , you will want a Power Supply with a slightly higher mA rating if you hve your GP32 overclocked to 166mhz-220mhz.

I would say a 500mA for a un-lit and a 700-800mA for a Blu.

Funny this should pop up (just got a universal adapter yesterday...).

Oh and by the way, hi!! (first post)

I got the unit back, but couldn't get any power to the device at all - the 'yellow tip' was the only that vaguely fitted, but its extremely loose. I'm using a BLU in the UK, btw. Any ideas?

Cheers!

danabnormal posted on Dec 31 2004 at 05:25 PM said:

I got the unit back, but couldn't get any power to the device at all - the 'yellow tip' was the only that vaguely fitted, but its extremely loose. I'm using a BLU in the UK, btw. Any ideas?

Cheers!

Did you have the yellow tip round the right way in the adaptor ?. The GP32 power connector is wired up with the centre pin as negative, Unlike a lot of other electric gadgets. BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THIS, AS CONNECTING IT UP THE WRONG WAY (CENTRE POSITIVE) CAN AND PROBABLY WILL KILL YOUR GP32, I SHOULD KNOW.

Trooper

trooper posted on Dec 31 2004 at 09:23 PM said:
danabnormal posted on Dec 31 2004 at 05:25 PM said:

Cheers!

Did you have the yellow tip round the right way in the adaptor ?. The GP32 power connector is wired up with the centre pin as negative, Unlike a lot of other electric gadgets. BE VERY CAREFUL WITH THIS, AS CONNECTING IT UP THE WRONG WAY (CENTRE POSITIVE) CAN AND PROBABLY KILL YOUR GP32, I SHOULD KNOW.

Trooper

Hmm. Cheers for that. Although I have to say, the caps have scared the **** out of me. *eeks*

Back