Power Adaptor

GiG

The mighty penguin cat
Website
www.webalice.it
I have searched a few infos about power adaptors for GP32 in the forum, and found out discording infos: someone says the GP32 need 300mA, others 500mA, but everybody say it needs 3Volts, and that if you use a non regulated (non "stabilized", I think) power adaptor you see the flickering/waving effect.

Well, on the back of my two GP32 there is:

"ADAPTOR INPUT 3V 300mA" for the non-lit GP
"Adapter (2V 500mA)" for the BLU

I have a power adaptor that supplies 2.1V/300mA, and another that supplies 3V/500mA.

This makes me crazy, as, in theory, they are both wrong. :angry:
What can I do?!

Today I used the 3V/500mA adaptor: the BLU worked and I had the waving effect, but... may this adapter harm my BLU?

Well, BLU's do say 2V on the back, but they say 3V on the bottom next to the power connector :eek:

Since they take the same number of batteries however, I'd say use a 3V regulated adaptor at 500ma or more (doesn't matter if the current goes over, only the voltage - I use a 1200ma adaptor).

Besides, a set of duracells is 3v, so asking you to use a 2v adaptor is nuts :wacko:

If you get flickering/waving, then your adaptor may be unregulated - this means the voltage will not be stable and it MAY damage your gp32, or just cause it to crash or reset.

Yes, exactly, 3V, but I wanted to spot the error on the back :p

You say that a non-regulated adaptor may damage my unit... does it depend on the wiring quality of my house? I think it is good, but I can't say this for sure for the workplace too.

GiG posted on Mar 9 2005 at 12:12 AM said:

You say that a non-regulated adaptor may damage my unit... does it depend on the wiring quality of my house? I think it is good, but I can't say this for sure for the workplace too.

Get a regulated power suppy, Otherwise you will end up with lots of lines going across the screen (which looks like interference). This won`t damage your GP32, But will look horrible and probably get annoying. Regulated power supplies normally cost more, But are definitely worth it.

Trooper

Last edited by a moderator:

It's got nothing to do with the wiring quality of your house, it's to do with the quality of the adaptor. A regulated adaptor will give between 2.9v and 3.1v or so, whereas an unregulated one may go between 2v and 5v - it still averages out at 3v, but some electronics can be damaged by such adaptors, or just give weird effects. Such adaptors are far cheaper for electronics that can withstand the voltage range however.

trooper posted on Mar 9 2005 at 01:27 AM said:

Get a regulated power suppy, Otherwise you will end up with lots of lines going across the screen (which looks like interference). This won`t damage your GP32, But will look horrible and probably get annoying. Regulated power supplies normally cost more, But are definitely worth it.

Trooper
whats wrong with rechargebles?, its a handheld, it supposed to be mobile.

aapje89 posted on Mar 9 2005 at 11:27 AM said:

Rechargeables take hours and hours to recharge, so, when I can, I prefer to use an adaptor. Anyway I still prefer rechargeables.

GiG posted on Mar 9 2005 at 12:31 PM said:
aapje89 posted on Mar 9 2005 at 11:27 AM said:

Rechargeables take hours and hours to recharge, so, when I can, I prefer to use an adaptor. Anyway I still prefer rechargeables.
you can have more than 1 pair of rechargebles, and it takes me 2 hours to charge them.

aapje89 posted on Mar 9 2005 at 12:35 PM said:
you can have more than 1 pair of rechargebles, and it takes me 2 hours to charge them.

I have 2 pairs of rechargeables. What kind of batteries have you got? 2 hours only to recharge? Mine take 15 hours and are Duracell.

s**t i just last weak bought a unregulated adaptor of ebay. :( and the lines do come up, i thought it was because of the voltage was to high :unsure: . Is it worth to save up money and get another one?

I just phoned the shopkeeper who sold me the unregulated adaptor, and he told me he ordered a regulated adaptor for me: it's about 20euros, while the unregulated one costs 6.50euros. I will go to the shop on Monday.

GiG posted on Mar 9 2005 at 03:22 PM said:
aapje89 posted on Mar 9 2005 at 12:35 PM said:

I have 2 pairs of rechargeables. What kind of batteries have you got? 2 hours only to recharge? Mine take 15 hours and are Duracell.
I have 2200mah's, and I use an ansmann powerline 5 charger(very good :) ) @ 900mah.

aapje89 posted on Mar 10 2005 at 01:13 PM said:
Squidge posted on Mar 9 2005 at 09:02 AM said:
A regulated adaptor will give between 2.9v and 3.1v or so,
that still is a lot :blink:

Better than jumping from 2V to 5V B)

I hope there won't be waves/flickering...

GiG posted on Mar 10 2005 at 03:13 PM said:
aapje89 posted on Mar 10 2005 at 01:13 PM said:
Squidge posted on Mar 9 2005 at 09:02 AM said:
A regulated adaptor will give between 2.9v and 3.1v or so,
that still is a lot :blink:

Better than jumping from 2V to 5V B)

I hope there won't be waves/flickering...

No!, There won`t be any waves/flickering if you get a regulated power supply. But there will be waves/flickering if you get an unregulated power supply.

Trooper

Back