Post Your Dosbox Successes Here

I got graphic glitches in the carmageddon demo I tried. namely vertical lines/bars of discoloration.

MonkeyChops said:
I got graphic glitches in the carmageddon demo I tried. namely vertical lines/bars of discoloration.

I've tried the full version, I also get the odd vertical lines and the frames are extremely choppy. I looked forward to playing this on Pandora but I'm not sure if it will be able to be playable. If anyone gets a nice cfg for this game I would cry!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle said:
another important thing to try when game doesnt work or is unstable is to run it with the normal core setting rather than dynamic.

Thanks I will keep it in mind. And thanks for porting dosbox in the first place!

This is for you :)

Come to think of it, a "Year" category would be very useful in the compatibility list. (thanks for the link, WizardStan)

Ok, I have one question before I go and start the wiki list:

Would a "Link to Conf file" column be useful? I remember how much of a pain it was to have Star Control 2 work correctly with the sound and graphics at the correct speed (I think they were way too slow and you had to add something special to the conf).

I haven't actually used DOSBox for the Pandora, so I just need to know: does it also require the same manually-created conf files as the PC version does for games to work? Or is there a GUI for all the different options?

Esn said:
does it also require the same manually-created conf files as the PC version does for games to work? Or is there a GUI for all the different options?

Yup, there's a frontend which has all the different options.

Personally I think "Link to Conf file" would be useful. I was trying to get DiscWorld to work the other day but it appears to need a specific sound configuration. I gave up after 20 minuets of trying to figure it out. If you could just refer to a list and grab a pre-configured Conf, than that would be great.

most games won't need a special config file though. Maybe just a comment/special instructions category would suffice? That would cover config files or other tweaks that were necessary to get said game to work (ie background killer).

Apparently what hotfix you have installed could also affect performance. Perhaps a "date of test" category is also in order along with a rule that you must be updated to report results.

Instead of a compatibility list, why not an incompatibility list? Games that should work but don't can be listed, along with comments on what needs to change in order to make them work.

Sarlix said:
Esn said:
does it also require the same manually-created conf files as the PC version does for games to work? Or is there a GUI for all the different options?

Yup, there's a frontend which has all the different options.

Personally I think "Link to Conf file" would be useful. I was trying to get DiscWorld to work the other day but it appears to need a specific sound configuration. I gave up after 20 minuets of trying to figure it out. If you could just refer to a list and grab a pre-configured Conf, than that would be great.
Discworld now runs in SCUMMVM...

Anybody have any luck getting Ultima 5 to run? It definitely works on the desktop version of DOSBox, but it hangs at the command line after running ultima.exe on the Pandora. I've changed the core settings, etc to no avail so far. Ultima 6 works perfect, even letting me use the dpad to move around (can't get the Amiga version on uae4all to do that).

I finally got around to playing with dos box and if anyone is curious, I was able to play Little Big Adventure on it just fine. I had to get the pandora clock to 830 mhz ( mine starts to get unstable going any higher ).

Just for fun, I tried Fallout 1 and it is pretty unplayable, but that was pretty obvious.

MUMBL35 said:
I finally got around to playing with dos box and if anyone is curious, I was able to play Little Big Adventure on it just fine. I had to get the pandora clock to 830 mhz ( mine starts to get unstable going any higher ).

Just for fun, I tried Fallout 1 and it is pretty unplayable, but that was pretty obvious.

LBA, yes! So any slower than 830Mhz and it struggled?

Dead1nside said:
MUMBL35 said:

LBA, yes! So any slower than 830Mhz and it struggled?

I didn't really try any slower speeds, but I'm sure there is room to adjust. You can also turn frameskip up more. There are also in game settings to adjust, but they didn't seem to effect the speed at all.

I would play around with it more, but I think my sd card is failing. At least its a kingston with a lifetime warranty.

Can someone test these games for me? How well do they all run?

http://rapidshare.com/files/430706553/PLBM_DOS_Games.rar

They've all been released as freeware, so it's fine to post them here.

Blue Protoman said:
Can someone test these games for me? How well do they all run?

http://rapidshare.com/files/430706553/PLBM_DOS_Games.rar

They've all been released as freeware, so it's fine to post them here.

Might help if you tell people what the games are.

Just got Sim City 2000 running and it looks superb on the Pandora screen, seems to take a lot less time to reticulate the splines than it used to on my old 486sx 25 as well.

I wonder how many hours I'll lose to this?

Prometheus said:
I solved my issue with Jazz Jackrabbit CD by re-copying the files. :D Now I must report that I had great success running it, and it wasn't too far off of full-speed.

With DOSBox, I used the full core, and set the cycles to auto, and in Jazz CD's setup, I chose SoundBlaster Clone (which is stereo) as the soundcard, and set the music to Medium Quality, which it recommends you do for a 386 (when you start the game, though, it claims that it detects the machine as a 486). In the game's own setup options, I set the detail to low, and chose the "No Colour Animation" option. It slows down a little in places, however, but it runs very well indeed otherwise.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, this was with my Pandora set at the default 500MHz.
I'm having the same issue with JazzCD. Jazz just wants to keep running to the left.

You say you solved it simply by deleting the folder and putting it in again? Why the hell would that work? :blink:

P.S. Now that I actually have a Pandora and am starting to use DOSBox, I'll make a start on the wiki compatibility list...
http://pandorawiki.org/DOSBox_compatibility_list

EDIT: okay, I've added all the ones from this thread. It looks a bit ugly at the moment because the HideableNotes template isn't working (ED screwed something up when trying to add a functionality a few days ago).

Had a go at running Dungeon keeper and Magic carpet 1+2,they ran but very low frame rates especially DK even in low res.Magic carpet 2 seemed to have a noticeably better frame rate than the MC1 though,you can almost see the point where it might become playable(both would probably drop fps significantely when it gets a busier screens).

Did some further stuff on MC2 put everything on lowest including screen size(about quarter screen) overclocked pandora to 800,Id say it was playable at that point about 8fps then again might be more like borderline playable and then its just the first level(I managed to complete first level).

Prince of Persia runs perfect.

I think this will not surprise nobody, as AFAIK it also ran perfect in the Wiz.

Nicky Boum seems to have no speed throttling, so it runs by turns either too fast or too slow.

Oh well, it's better on the Amiga through uae4all anyway, though still not quite perfect.

Back