Post Your Dosbox Successes Here

Thats awesome, many thanks

Can I be cheeky and ask for a video if you can take one.

Seeing those ships fly around on the Pandora's screen would be something else.

MonkeyChops said:
wing commander ran great. no problems that I could see.

wing commander 2 also ran good. maybe a little slow during some parts but completely playable. "get him, he's a traitor!" :lol:

I don't have much hope for wing commander 3 but I'm going to try anyways once I find my old disks, I loved that game. Go Luke!

Did you change any dosbox settings for getting it to run? Esp. wc2 - I'm having a bit of troubles with that.

Last edited by a moderator:
my pandora decided to not boot up today so I need to reflash before I can be sure but I'm pretty sure I just set cycles to max and overclocked to 825ish. What problems are you having?

[edit]yay back online. here's my default config:
Code:
[sdl]
fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=original
windowresolution=original
output=surface
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority="higher,normal"
mapperfile=mapper.txt
usescancodes=true

[dosbox]
language=
machine=vga
memsize=16
captures=capture

[render]
frameskip=0
scaler=normal2x
aspect=false

[cpu]
core=auto
cycles=max
cycleup=500
cycledown=20

[mixer]
nosound=false
rate=22050
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=10

[midi]
mpu401=intelligent
device=default
config=

[sblaster]
sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplrate=22050
oplmode=auto

[gus]
gus=true
gusrate=22050
gusbase=240
irq1=5
irq2=5
dma1=3
dma2=3
ultradir=C:\\ULTRASND

[speaker]
pcspeaker=true
pcrate=22050
tandy=auto
tandyrate=22050
disney=true

[joystick]
joysticktype=auto
timed=false
autofire=false
swap34=false
buttonwrap=false

[serial]
serial1=dummy
serial2=dummy
serial3=disabled
serial4=disabled

[dos]
xms=true
ems=true
umb=true
keyboardlayout=none

[ipx]
ipx=false

[autoexec]
mount c ./games
c:
also I updated to the newest beta hotfix which may have helped. I don't remember if I did with WC2 but I often use the background killer while playing with dosbox. hope this helps

Pickle:
Descent is my favorite game, I've been waiting for a pandora port! Does your port have music? I really hope it does, a lot of ports don't :/

Anyone try out Space Quest 3?

A DOSBox success:
2010-06-30T12:37:53-04:00-35701_467086312523_604362523_6319476_8222214_n.jpg

I successfully got my dad, cousin, and uncles yelling at me to put my damn toy away on our yearly cabin trip. I failed with my brother as he is a geek, too.

Has anyone tried God Of Thunder or Turbo Pascal 7* yet?

*Yes, I'm well aware that this marks me as insane, it's primarily for nostalgia value.

el_pango said:
Has anyone tried God Of Thunder or Turbo Pascal 7* yet?

*Yes, I'm well aware that this marks me as insane, it's primarily for nostalgia value.

yep ive already played through the first epsiode of God of Thunder

I've gotten the remake of Quest for Glory 1 to run pretty well under dosbox. It requires overclocking to ~800MHz for sound and movement to run smoothly. I haven't tried getting into combat yet, and the ultimate test will definitely be the point in the game where you sneak into the brigand's fortress. (I had a 486 system that would slow down so much at that point that I couldn't do anything and the 3 stooges guards would always kill me.)

You guys know about scummvm right? :)

Jeffphone

Ie: and other interps for agi / sci etc type games

But im with you .. I play these in atari st emus since thats where i did thm back in the day :)

Figbash said:
Pickle:
Descent is my favorite game, I've been waiting for a pandora port! Does your port have music? I really hope it does, a lot of ports don't :/

D1x uses sdl's opengl so its a couple slow layers (could be way sped up), so runs ok at full res (sluggish), but great if you down the rez a little

(pickle .. Could almost use fb for free scaling to fake it)

Someday when i gt time ill port my ancient pocket pc descent 1, and itll run screaming fast (but be low res always)

Pickles is great though.. Down the rez, and play with nubs!

Maybe once we start tweaking sdl itll go nuts

Jeffphone

skeezix said:
Figbash said:
Pickle:

D1x uses sdl's opengl so its a couple slow layers (could be way sped up), so runs ok at full res (sluggish), but great if you down the rez a little

(pickle .. Could almost use fb for free scaling to fake it)

Someday when i gt time ill port my ancient pocket pc descent 1, and itll run screaming fast (but be low res always)

Pickles is great though.. Down the rez, and play with nubs!

Maybe once we start tweaking sdl itll go nuts

Jeffphone

skeezix: d1x and d2x can use sdl opengl interfaces, but not for pandora it uses pure software. Even if the SDL interface was made to work for opengles, all the opengl stuff needs to be converted to opengles.

it sounded like fb scaling doesnt work with SDL?

MonkeyChops said:
my pandora decided to not boot up today so I need to reflash before I can be sure but I'm pretty sure I just set cycles to max and overclocked to 825ish. What problems are you having?

[edit]yay back online. here's my default config:
Code:
[sdl]
fullscreen=true
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=original
windowresolution=original
output=surface
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority="higher,normal"
mapperfile=mapper.txt
usescancodes=true

[dosbox]
language=
machine=vga
memsize=16
captures=capture

[render]
frameskip=0
scaler=normal2x
aspect=false

[cpu]
core=auto
cycles=max
cycleup=500
cycledown=20

[mixer]
nosound=false
rate=22050
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=10

[midi]
mpu401=intelligent
device=default
config=

[sblaster]
sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplrate=22050
oplmode=auto

[gus]
gus=true
gusrate=22050
gusbase=240
irq1=5
irq2=5
dma1=3
dma2=3
ultradir=C:\\ULTRASND

[speaker]
pcspeaker=true
pcrate=22050
tandy=auto
tandyrate=22050
disney=true

[joystick]
joysticktype=auto
timed=false
autofire=false
swap34=false
buttonwrap=false

[serial]
serial1=dummy
serial2=dummy
serial3=disabled
serial4=disabled

[dos]
xms=true
ems=true
umb=true
keyboardlayout=none

[ipx]
ipx=false

[autoexec]
mount c ./games
c:
also I updated to the newest beta hotfix which may have helped. I don't remember if I did with WC2 but I often use the background killer while playing with dosbox. hope this helps

Took a while for me to reply, but it turns out I was doing 2 things wrong; I had trouble with the mouse/joystick going all over the place, haven't figured a 100% correct way to do things yet (I want the stick to be a joystick), and I was running the wrong executable. Whoops :)

glad you got it working, I love the wing commander series. My fav is Wing Commander 3 though. It runs pretty crappy in dosbox right now. the videos are actually pretty good, its just the gameplay that sucks. slightly playable at frameskip 5 overclocked to 850. Pretty close though, I'm holding on to hope (fool's hope?) that some hardware acceleration for dosbox will put it over the edge. :D

oh, and as long as I'm on the dosbox failures subject. I knew it didn't have much of a chance but the carmageddon demo ran like 1 fps with all the graphics setting the lowest they would go (I was able to run over 1 pedestrian though :lol: ). it had some major graphic glitches also. That one probably doesn't have much of a chance to ever work, just as Pickle said. But hey, I had to try :D

Here are some games I'd like to play. I post them not only to know if they work well in pandora but also to recommend them all. I really enjoyed them and i think you will enjoy them too. Thank you in advance!

GODS
TITUS THE FOX
BLUES BROTHERS
COMANCHE
ALIEN BREED
ALONE IN THE DARK
ANOTHER WORLD
FLASHBACK
FURY OF THE FURRIES
IRONMAN
METAL MUTANT
PINBALL DREAMS
PREHISTORIK (1,2)
SANGO FIGHTER
SENSIBLE SOCCER
THE HUMANS
LOST VIKINGS

NamX said:
Here are some games I'd like to play. I post them not only to know if they work well in pandora but also to recommend them all. I really enjoyed them and i think you will enjoy them too. Thank you in advance!

GODS
TITUS THE FOX
BLUES BROTHERS
COMANCHE
ALIEN BREED
ALONE IN THE DARK
ANOTHER WORLD
FLASHBACK
FURY OF THE FURRIES
IRONMAN
METAL MUTANT
PINBALL DREAMS
PREHISTORIK (1,2)
SANGO FIGHTER
SENSIBLE SOCCER
THE HUMANS
LOST VIKINGS

Play the AMIGA versions (Craig[sup]TM[/sup] All rights reserved :p )

I hate you all :/

Now I am going to have to kidnap my friend tomorrow when he brings his Pandora to my house to show off. I'll only keep him for a week or two, I promise! :D Glad to hear such an early port of DOSBox is having good results though, maybe by the time I get my Pandy, x-wing will work. Hell, there's hope.

So I loaded up Star Wars X-wing to see how it runs and I was quite surprised. Running it @800Mhz and Max cycles in dosbox and digital sound off within the game, it actually run quite smooth in some places. Admittedly I was just playing the training mission, I don't know what it would be like with other ships on the screen.

Anyway video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__h8YMgX40c

*First 6 seconds of the vid are screwed.

edit: I didn't even notice the post above me^ Coincidence lol

Sarlix said:
So I loaded up Star Wars X-wing to see how it runs and I was quite surprised. Running it @800Mhz and Max cycles in dosbox and digital sound off within the game, it actually run quite smooth in some places. Admittedly I was just playing the training mission, I don't know what it would be like with other ships on the screen.

Anyway video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__h8YMgX40c

*First 6 seconds of the vid are screwed.

Thanks for the video! Very encouraging. :) I'd be interested to see how it does in an actual mission. Is the in-game detail level set to its lowest in the video?

I didn't notice any detail options, I will take another a look...In the meantime here is another vid, this time with music off.

Sarlix said:
I didn't notice any detail options, I will take another a look...In the meantime here is another vid, this time with music off.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=MjSPeYJxehE

You can set the detail options once you start a game, try escape

Back