Possible To Run X86 Low Power Cpu?

Anhaedra

Would it be possible to run a GP2X like handheld on an X86 AMD Geode CPU? They only pull 0.8W / 1.8V @ 200Mhz and 1.4W / 2.2V at 333Mhz... They have an FPU too... They don't need a heatsink either. There is another Geode CPU that can do 533Mhz at 1.1W. How much power does the backlight and LCD use on the GP2X?

Unless there's a suitable System-on-Chip solution, the size and power consumption of all the extra components comes into play. I believe VIA were working on a 486-class handheld, but I haven't heard much about it lately.

Yo! Check out the datasheet of the board!

http://taiwan.advantech.com.tw/unzipfunc/U...PCM-3350_ds.pdf

They have included the typical power consumption data for the board with 1HDD,1FDD,VGA,LCD and 128 SDRAM connected...

I think this would be great for a little homebrew hardware developing. I am thinking about getting one. If anyone else is interested, maybe we can develope some stuff together...

I've seen other SBCs that were better suited for this kind of thing than x86-compatibles; there are stacks of PowerPC and MIPS Linux SBCs that are a good choice.

I'd probably work off a ColdFire SBC if I wanted to spend the money.

Hmm... the coldfire is not as fast though... the PCM-3350 works @ 300 mhz which is really fast considering its power consumption!

mick_aka posted on Mar 3 2006 at 02:12 PM said:
*hides under a table with a Zylog Z80*  ;)  lol

Fun fact: The Zilog Z80 is binary compatible with the Intel 8080, the precursor to the modern 8086 CPU family.

Last edited by a moderator:
xnopasaranx posted on Mar 2 2006 at 07:10 AM said:
Yo! Check out the datasheet of the board!

http://taiwan.advantech.com.tw/unzipfunc/U...PCM-3350_ds.pdf

They have included the typical power consumption data for the board with 1HDD,1FDD,VGA,LCD and 128 SDRAM connected...

I think this would be great for a little homebrew hardware developing. I am thinking about getting one. If anyone else is interested, maybe we can develope some stuff together...

Do you think it would be possible to use one of these to build a machine running FreeDOS and play old DOS games on it? Cause I had a crazy idea of gutting a laptop, putting one of these in it, and using the laptop's screen, battery, optical drive, etc. hooked up to it for use as a portable, low power consumption DOS gaming lappy. I'm not saying that putting it together wouldn't be difficult, but am I completely barking up the wrong tree?

I'm not so good with the hardware hacking, so I'm probably making a fool of myself here. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Back